Start by marking “Rites of Spring (Break) (Secret Society Girl, #3)” as Want to Read:
Rites of Spring (Break) (Secret Society Girl, #3)

Rites of Spring (Break) (Secret Society Girl #3)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,491 ratings  ·  113 reviews
From “witty and endearing” to “impossible to put down,” the critics have given elite marks to Diana Peterfreund’s Secret Society Girl and Under the Rose . Now, in a wildly captivating new novel, Amy “Bugaboo” Haskel and her fellow Rose & Grave knights are trading cold, gray, hyperintellectual New Haven for an annual rite of spring (well, early March) in Florida.

For
Published June 24th 2008 by Delta (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Rites of Spring (Break), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rites of Spring (Break)

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterCross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally CarterDon't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally CarterSecret Society Girl by Diana PeterfreundThe Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
Ivy League & Private School Preoccupations
13th out of 124 books — 176 voters
Easy by Tammara WebberBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireSlammed by Colleen HooverThoughtless by S.C. StephensWhere She Went by Gayle Forman
New Adult Literature
122nd out of 1,095 books — 1,990 voters

More lists with this book...

Maggie
I basically read this book like this:

Basically.

This is what this series has turned me into. I can't believe there's only one more book.
JoLee
Jul 29, 2008 JoLee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
In this third installment Amy has a pretty dismal beginning to her last semester of collage. She becomes the scapegoat in a society battle, and, more importantly, she's dealing with some pretty heart-wrenching confusion thanks to Brandon. Luckily, she has the chance to escape all of that(or so she hopes) when the Diggers go to Cavador Key over Spring Break. Where, of course, things don't exactly turn out as planned. (Nope not at all. Although, in one case, in particular, they turn out much, much ...more
Jennifer Johnson
My favorite of the series. There is a scene, in the shower- and that's all I'm saying. When you read the scene in the shower, you'll stop breathing for about 10 minutes. More of those please!
Norah Sumner
I hereby confess: I'm dying because of this series.

I DON'T THINK I CAN BREATHE RIGHT NOW.I'm smiling so hard,my mom just asked me if I'm okay.And the thing is...I'm sooo not okay,This series ruined my life,I swear.DIANA!I LOVE YOU!
I'm not even going to say anything,let these gifs show you how I feel after finishing this one.

Favourite quotes:

“P—Jamie!” I called.
He waded back toward me. “I’m starting to think my name is Pajamie.”
“Your name should be Pajerky. You said it wasn’t deep.”
“Pajerky?” H
Tori
Reread

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA SHOWER SCENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ellen
I kind of love the Secret Society Girl series (the other one being Under the Rose). The story is about the first class of female taps in fictional Eli University (a thinly-veiled Yale)'s fictional secret society Rose & Grave (a thinly-veiled Skull & Bones). I keep referring to the series as my "trashy YA secret society books," but they're actually neither trashy nor YA. I just can't quite explain why I like them so much, and I've been getting no end of weird looks due to my plot descript ...more
Angie
In this third installment of the Ivy League Novels, Our Girl Amy finds herself sludging through the gloom that is New Haven in late winter/early spring, wondering who named her whipping girl in the latest intercollegiate secret society rumble. Meanwhile, her ex-friend-with-benefits makes a sudden reappearance in her life and the already nigh unto crippling confusion factor gets ratcheted up a dozen or so notches. Fortunately, the annual Rose & Grave spring break excursion to Cavador Key loom ...more
Katy Rustemeyer
Oh man I just read it in one sitting, all I can say is I am so happy.
GW
Brittany
Aug 27, 2008 Brittany rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the Ivy League series, Fans of series like Gossip Girl/the A-List (it's so much better)
Recommended to Brittany by: Myself!
Chev E
Life is never quite for a Digger, especially Amy Haskel. Amy, or Bugaboo, as her brothers call her is up to her usually antics, getting in trouble with guys and being the new target for the pranks of a rival secret society. When spring break comes around, Amy is ecstatic to escape from Eli campus and go to a private island off the coast of Florida occupied only by fellow Diggers and their families. However, life does not calm down in the slightest when she arrives on Cavador Key. Instead it gets ...more
stephanie
i hereby confess: it was better than i thought.

man, this was a great beach read. and i am terribly sad to find out the fourth and last installment isn't coming out until 2009.

these books are such fun and have actual literary merits that you don't have to feel quite so guilty.

back with amy "bugaboo" haskell and her D177 rose & grave members, this time we have feuding between societies, secret islands, crazy caretakers, and the return of some favorite characters. it's humorous, smart and fu
Shortlatte
This review is for the whole series.

I’ve never been a particularly social person. My college years passed me by without my ever joining a club or entering a sorority, and I largely preferred it that way. Thus, though I had heard nothing but positive reviews about Diana Peterfreund’s Secret Society Girl series, I doubted it would be something I could relate to. After finishing the first book, Secret Society Girl, I still had my doubts, as I had a hard time connecting with protagonist Amy. Though
Michelle
What Amy Haskel thought would be her best (and last) year at prestigious Eli University has been crazier than she could have ever imagined. After being tapped into the uber-secret Rose & Grave secret society she's dealt with:

1. disgruntled patriarchs who think adding girls to the society will be it's downfall

2. fellow society brothers who have no qualms about publishing society secrets; breaking several oaths in the process

So Amy hasn't exactly had much breathing room or time to work on her
Charity
I confess: I think she’s terrific.

The ’she’ I refer to could be applied to both the author of Rites of Spring (Break), the phenomenal Diana Peterfreund, and to her lead character, Amy “Bugaboo” Haskell. In the third installment of the Ivy League Novels, RoS(b) continues to dish out the intrigue, the developing romance, and a side helping of humor to make a rather satisfying read.

The first two novels in the series, Secret Society Girl and Under the Rose, were both masterfully written and plotted.
Izandra Mascarenhas
ENG / PORT-BR

I just loved it. I love that author and, especially, I love this series. In this book, again the character of Amy "Bugaboo" Haskel gets into trouble, is threatened with death and... Begins to understand what is fall in love for real. And exactly for whom, at first, we never would think as an option! But the author has developed so well and that advances seemed very natural, without forcing the bar. I loved it from start to finish, attached to each line, desperate to read more!

------
Natalie
And then less than a day later, I finally rounded out what's been written so far. Next up, graduation??? Seriously, though, while I usually see the social developments coming by a mile off, how do I miss the obvious answers to the mysteries??? Clearly my emotions in the relationship departments are blinding my mystery sensibilities... Five stars, unable to put it down, but nevertheless will not swear that you, specifically will love these books. ... No matter how awesome they are.
Hirondelle
I read these 3 books all in one go, and my impression is that the series is getting worse with each book. The plot here seemed unlikely, the sources of conflict ever changing and seemed forced. It is probably the most romantic of the books, the most focused on it and closer to any resolution. And while the romance is interesting to me, this type of pairings is an archetype for good reason, some part of my brain still goes "oh really?" in very sarcastic tones at that particular pair.
Holly Medina
Sep 15, 2008 Holly Medina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chick Lit
This series gets better and better with each book! I love how the author picks up where she left off without alot of missing time mean while building on each character. Also included in this series is the first chapter to he next book which picks up in the eact instant this one stops!!!!! Unfortunately it's been told that the next book is the last in this series. I recommend starting with the first in the series and carrying on! It is so worth it!
Dawn Rendell
All three of the current books in this series (with the last due to come out next summer) are totally girly, but hard to put down. I started this last night, got up this morning, started reading and didn't stop until the book ended. They are good reads, cute books, with a good plot. They aren't going to become classics or anything, but they are fun.
Karole
My absolute fave of the SSG series!!! OMG, I love this book!!! I could just squeeee with delight thinking about all the memorable and fabulous parts...Lifesavers, swimming lessons, and of course, outdoor showers. By the time you read this book, you'll be addicted to the SSG series. And a certain sarcastic and brooding someone. :)
Anna
The third book in the "Ivy League" series. It has been a while since I read the other two books, but I think it's safe to say I enjoyed this one the most. Yes, the plot twists are a little obvious, but the story remains entertaining.
Misti
I hereby confess: I read the end first so I knew the book was going to be fantastic.

And now I have to go re-read every scene that (view spoiler) are in.
Stephanie
A re-read, because I wanted to entangle my brain with something purely enjoyable and not think about my Hemingway and Faulkner exam coming up. A mental palate cleanser, if you will.
Roby Pavone
Alexa
Jul 30, 2008 Alexa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Love the title, love the story, loved Amy, love Poe, love the end.

Guess you could say I quite enjoyed this book.
Dayse Dantas
XFJKBGSDFJKLCM, BSDKLFUGJHSDLKGSDGM,NSDHIUSDG, MSDGKLSDHGIUDHYTRJKSD VFSDMAI JUST FORGET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cait
Ahhhh I love these books! THE ROMANCE. I did not see coming but it makes so much sense!
Katie
My favorite so far! The romance in this is just wonderful!
Heidi
Can't wait 'till the last one comes out.
  • Secrets (The Ivy, #2)
  • Long May She Reign (The President's Daughter, #4)
  • The Principles of Love (The Principles of Love, #1)
  • In Too Deep (The Elite, #2)
  • The Demon's Covenant (The Demon's Lexicon, #2)
  • Imaginary Lines (New York Leopards, #3)
  • The Gathering Flame
  • Charmed Thirds (Jessica Darling, #3)
  • The Fifth Rule
  • Hell Week (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #2)
  • Portrait Of My Heart (Rawlings, #2)
  • Soul Love
  • The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3)
119848
Diana Peterfreund has been a costume designer, a cover model, and a food critic. Her travels have taken her from the cloud forests of Costa Rica to the underground caverns of New Zealand (and as far as she’s concerned, she’s just getting started). Diana graduated from Yale University in 2001 with dual degrees in Literature and Geology, which her family claimed would only come in handy if she wrote ...more
More about Diana Peterfreund...

Secret Society Girl (6 books)
  • Secret Society Girl (Secret Society Girl, #1)
  • Under the Rose (Secret Society Girl, #2)
  • Banned From the Tomb (Secret Society Girl, #2.1)
  • My Phi Beta Kappa Valentine (Secret Society Girl, #2.2)
  • Tap & Gown (Secret Society Girl, #4)
For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1) Rampant (Killer Unicorns, #1) Secret Society Girl (Secret Society Girl, #1) Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2) Under the Rose (Secret Society Girl, #2)

“Does P-Jamie... like me?"
Malcolm blinked. This was clearly not the kind of dirt he'd been expecting.
"I mean,like me, like me." I clarified quickly.
"What are you? Twelve?" he asked, incredulous.
"You aren't supposed to make fun of me!" I scolded.
"You never said you were going to act like a teenybopper. That's a special circumstance. Any judge would agree."
"Fine." I started to rise. "Like I said, forget I asked."
"Wait, Amy. Sit down," he said with a sigh. Malcolm was leaning his fits against the wood, staring down at his knuckles.
I sat. "What?"
He didn't look up. "This is all just between us, right?"
"Yeah."
"I wouldn't say he likes you."
"Oh." Oh. Of course not. How stupid of me. How ridiculous, really-
"He's pretty much in love with you.”
14 likes
“I can't pretend this isn't important. I can't act like it doesn't exist. It's ironic, but true. There are a lot of things I'm really good at keeping secret. But I've learned I'm not too good at that with you. I can't pull it off. I don't want to just hook up. I don't want a secret relationship."
"Well, that's a relief," I said, grabbing for both of his hands and holding on for dear life.
Doubt started giving way to recognition, but he needed to hear it. "Why's that?"
"Because I'm really sick of secrets.”
11 likes