Installing Linux on a Dead Badger
read ebook

Installing Linux on a Dead Badger

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Installing Linux on a Dead Badger (and other Oddities) is a collection of Lucy Snyder's humorous essays, fiction and articles, some culled from places like "Strange Horizons" and "Spacesuits and Six-Guns" and some brand new. This collection of thirteen short stories, articles and essays from Lucy A. Snyder will appeal to any fan of zombies, aliens or installation manuals....more
Published October 1st 2007 by Creative Guy Publishing

Peter Macinnis
This book is compulsory and compulsive reading for anybody who has ever been part of the IT crowd, or worked with IT people. You don't need much knowledge of Linux or anything else for that matter, though as a zoologist (albeit one with little experience with the Mustelidae), I am prepared to believe that one might, indeed, get Linux running on a dead badger.

Then again, I once proposed to build a combined fluid-logic computer and coffee maker for the Botany Department, so I may be biased.

Anyhow....more
Craig
This is a wonderfully funny and witty collection of short pieces. Not only does it explain how to do what the title promises, but also offers delightful observations such as anyone who plans to become a vampire should have all of their silver dental work removed first. It's a terrific zombie volume.
Cathy Douglas
This is a collection of stories, sort of interrelated, if sometimes only by weirdness. It started and ended strong, but I thought some of the zombie stories in the middle kind of blurred together. Then again, I've kind of had it with zombies, especially the humorous kind. The format varies from story to story: a bunch of them are written as newspaper stories, but a few are just regular stories, and Installing Linux on a Dead Badger itself is written as instructions.

The last story in the book, In...more
Al
Although each of the short stories or essays in "Installing Linux" stands alone, you’ll find a few common themes. Most touch on technology. Many have mythical creatures: zombies, fairies, trolls, and such. Some may have a dark side, but all are humorous, with many satirizing something or someone in the process.

The title story gives directions for installing the Linux operating system on a badger. When you’re done you’ll have a zombie badger that can be operated like a robot. Doesn’t that sound l...more
Sean O'Hara
If you've ever encountered one of those geeks who insists upon installing Linux on everything from his new iPhone to a BetaMax he found at a thrift store, this title should elicit a laugh. Unfortunately the actual book doesn't live up to the promise of the title.

The title "essay" explains how to do the actual installation with a combination of technology and eldritch magic. Conceptually, this is a great idea, but if you've ever read a how-to on installing Linux, you know how dreadfully boring th...more
GUD Magazine
In this book, Snyder succeeds in making zombies (both human and animal) wickedly funny--no matter how jaded you are by cries of 'Braaaaaaaaaaaains!!!' Either this book will make you laugh out loud at least once, or you should consider having yourself checked for signs of death.

Snyder's work first came to my attention when the cover story, 'Installing Linux on a Dead Badger' was submitted to SFF webzine Strange Horizons, where I was then an articles editor. I can't take much credit for discoverin...more
Clarence
Mar 19, 2008 Clarence rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Clarence by: Lucy Snyder
I read the original, shorter version of the titular essay on Everything2, and found it as funny as the title suggests it would be. (Unless you read the title and figure that can't possibly be what it's actually about!) I'm not sure the fleshed-out piece adds great value, getting a bit redundant, but Linux geeks will still love it. The other eight or nine stories in the volume are more "storyish", with a nice thread of continuity in them (e.g., fake company names in the zombie-centric areas, whic...more
DangerGirl
A quick, cute, fun compilation of 12 stories and essays, some of which have appeared in various publications. The first chapter reads as a technical manual, describing detailed instructions on (obviously) installing Linux on a dead badger, complete with troubleshooting tips and software recommendations.

The next few chapters are presented as current newspaper or magazine articles, each quite matter-of-factly reporting such topics as how todays successful businesses are effectively utilizing zomb...more
Mark
I'm a little confused why there is so much time spent going on about OS compatibility for the install tools. I understand some newbies might want to put Linux on their dead badgers (or weasels, stoats, and ferrets) while running a GUI on Mac or Windows. But seems to me even most casual hobbyists should have a Linux distro on a desktop before jumping forward with cybermancy.

Other than that quibble, most of the stories in this slender book are pretty entertaining. The riffs on cyber-necromancy (wh...more
Steve
This was fun. the stories are written effectively and each does something interesting.

It's probably even better if you have an even stronger affection than I for zombies (particularly), fairies, evil spirits, vampires, and other supernatural elements of horror and fantasy, all used here with wry humor as tools of satire as much as SF/Fantasy.

Similarly, it's probably better for fans of such things who know a lot more about information technology. Also programming and corporate HR, to some extent...more
Emma Lou
This is utterly, utterly hilarious. Do not eat/drink or otherwise consume anything whilst reading this book, otherwise you'll find yourself choking on, or spraying it all over your prized possessions. It's a must read for every Linux geek out there, not to mention zombie lovers.
Shandra
Humorous, geeky zombie stories! I was even more entertained than I had hoped when I ran across the title. Not what I initially expected, but very awesome nonetheless! Super-quick read, fyi - it's a short little book.
Francis
I think this is a good book for Network Administrators seeking other Network Administrators to spend quality time with.

An interesting and quirky mix of technology, ghouls and satire.
Nancy
I was expecting more from the hype. It had some cute concepts, but I got more of a laugh from the poem at the back of the book that she wrote in fourth grade.
Scott Johnson
Funny as hell, and anyone who works in the tech field will laugh until they choke.
Deborah
Only read the preview, but that seems to be nearly a third of the book.
Milele
witty and geeky and timely, hopefully not too fast outdated.
Ray Charbonneau
One good joke, played out about as long as tolerable.
decompiler
G33k humor... hilarious.
Jesus Yepes
Jesus Yepes marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Sofía
Sofía marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Hallie
Hallie marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Ivan Kirkov
Ivan Kirkov marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Titobobb
Titobobb marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Pedro
Pedro marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Wynndmill
Wynndmill marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Lucy A. Snyder grew up in the cowboys-and-cactus part of Texas but currently lives in Worthington, Ohio where she writes by day and does tech support by night. Her short work has appeared in publications such as Strange Horizons, Doctor Who Short Trips: Destination Prague, Chiaroscuro, Full Unit Hookup, and Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet.
More about Lucy A. Snyder...
Spellbent (Jessie Shimmer, #1) Shotgun Sorceress (Jessie Shimmer, #2) Switchblade Goddess (Jessie Shimmer, #3) Sparks and Shadows Chimeric Machines