My Dinosaur

My Dinosaur

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Every night a little girl waits by her window for her friend the dinosaur, and when he comes, they play in the woods all night until the sun comes up.
Published March 1st 1997 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1997)

Kathryn
May 18, 2009 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra--thank you, thank you!
What a sweet, beautifully illustrated story! The text is lyrical and magical--the illustrations are realistic yet, as the illustrator says, "made with pixie dust" ;-> This is a love story about the imagination and big heart of a child. Tremendous!
Mary
For kindergarten and first grade writiers, this is a wonderful story for writers workshop. The children could write about where there dionsaur will take them in their dreams. Younger chilren can retell the story with them as the main character. I stop before the end of story and ask what they think might happen. The illustrations are so life like, you may not want to read the words on the pages at first. Have the children tell you what is happening in the story.
Lisa Vegan
May 01, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all young children, especially girls who love dinosaurs
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
The pictures are gorgeous and very unusual and appealing. I can’t help thinking the young girl depicted in the pictures is a real girl in the author-illustrator’s life, in part because she appears on the dedication page, and also because, despite the not completely realistic style of art, she looks so much like a real little girl.

This story kept making me smile and the final page gave me a chuckle and for me elevated the book from four to five stars. It’s a sweet, not a scary story.

The events...more
Peacegal
What kid doesn't dream of having a dinosaur friend? I wasn't a big fan of the distracting typeface, but it's always refreshing to see, as another reviewer noted, a dinosaur book starring a girl. Girls like dinos too!
Kathryn
I like how the dinosaur is kind of blurry through most of the book and the little girl is starkly clear except for the times when she is with the dinosaur. Great little quick read before bedtime.
Emma
A young girl and her dinosaur wait for night to adventure into the forest.
Diane
A great work of the magical imagination of children! Loved it.
Lee
gwen
gwen added it
Dec 31, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2013
Brenda
Brenda added it
Jul 11, 2013
Takami
Takami marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013