Start by marking “My Dinosaur” as Want to Read:
My Dinosaur

My Dinosaur

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Every night a little girl waits by her window for her friend the dinosaur, and when he comes, they play in the woods all night until the sun comes up.
Published March 1st 1997 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about My Dinosaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dinosaur

Kathryn
May 18, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra--thank you, thank you!
What a sweet, beautifully illustrated story! The text is lyrical and magical--the illustrations are realistic yet, as the illustrator says, "made with pixie dust" ;-> This is a love story about the imagination and big heart of a child. Tremendous!
Mary
For kindergarten and first grade writiers, this is a wonderful story for writers workshop. The children could write about where there dionsaur will take them in their dreams. Younger chilren can retell the story with them as the main character. I stop before the end of story and ask what they think might happen. The illustrations are so life like, you may not want to read the words on the pages at first. Have the children tell you what is happening in the story.
Jared White
"Late at night, when the moon is full, I wait by my window for my dinosaur." At first she can't see dinosaur but she hears it, so she goes to join it in the woods. The little girl and dinosaur then spend the night playing games, running, swimming, and trying to catch the stars. A fun story with lovely pictures perfect for dinosaur lovers and imaginative little ones.

The only thing I didn't like was, everything but the fish were illustrated in a realistic-like manner but the fish are just a little
Rosa Cline
Apr 15, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, bedtime
This was a very beautiful book both in text and illustrations. A little child is drifting off to sleep when they call for their dragon. He comes to their window and takes them off on an adventure. The night starts drawing to the morning and the child must go back to bed. The next time the moon is full they know their friend dragon will be back. Great book to encourage children to use imagination.
Lisa Vegan
May 01, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all young children, especially girls who love dinosaurs
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
The pictures are gorgeous and very unusual and appealing. I can’t help thinking the young girl depicted in the pictures is a real girl in the author-illustrator’s life, in part because she appears on the dedication page, and also because, despite the not completely realistic style of art, she looks so much like a real little girl.

This story kept making me smile and the final page gave me a chuckle and for me elevated the book from four to five stars. It’s a sweet, not a scary story.

The events
Cheyenne
Beautiful illustrations! This is a sweet story full of imagination.
Peacegal
Apr 25, 2013 Peacegal rated it liked it
What kid doesn't dream of having a dinosaur friend? I wasn't a big fan of the distracting typeface, but it's always refreshing to see, as another reviewer noted, a dinosaur book starring a girl. Girls like dinos too!
Kathryn
Mar 13, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-my-boys
I like how the dinosaur is kind of blurry through most of the book and the little girl is starkly clear except for the times when she is with the dinosaur. Great little quick read before bedtime.
Emma
Nov 04, 2009 Emma rated it liked it
A young girl and her dinosaur wait for night to adventure into the forest.
Diane
Aug 22, 2008 Diane rated it it was amazing
A great work of the magical imagination of children! Loved it.
Lee
Jul 03, 2009 Lee marked it as to-read
Recommended to Lee by: Lisa Vegan and Chandra
Shelves: picture-books
For Bedtime.
Kelly Steggeman
Kelly Steggeman marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Jacki
Jacki rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Katie Driesenga
Katie Driesenga marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Cherie
Cherie rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Jocelyn Chase
Jocelyn Chase marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Randi Rezendes
Randi Rezendes rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Kris Moulaison
Kris Moulaison rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Deni
Deni rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Erika
Erika added it
Apr 03, 2016
Susan Ungham
Susan Ungham rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Smith Family
Smith Family rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Missy Spencer
Missy Spencer marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016