Start by marking “On Foot Through Africa” as Want to Read:
On Foot Through Africa

On Foot Through Africa

When Ffyona Campbell vowed to walk around the world, she was only sixteen. By far the hardest stage of this incredible journey was Africa which she completed in September 1993. This personal account of her achievement tells of her relationship with the women of the villages she passed through, how she learnt their traditions and skills; how she was nearly murdered, almost ...more
Published January 1st 1995 by Orion (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about On Foot Through Africa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Foot Through Africa

Ffyona Campbell walked from Cape Town to Tangiers as part of an attempt to set a world record. What motivated her to set this record in the first place is unclear—I can only assume that, as this is her second book (the first detailed her walk across Australia, part of the same attempt), more details were included in the first.

It's an odd way to see a continent. Campbell herself admits to some of the limits: Although I crossed this continent slowly—slowly enough to smell its air and feel its undu
Apr 22, 2010 Reet78 rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2014 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, travel, walking
On Foot Through Africa is a journal of part of Ffyona Campbell's round the world walk; this book covers from South Africa to Morocco beginning with her struggle to get any sponsorship and ending with her triumphant run down to the sea.
Ffyona's descriptions of the African countries that she passes though are awe-inspiring, but some of the actions of the people she encounters are quite shocking. Their attitudes, particularly to lone women, were alien and disappointing to me and I found the 'donnez
Jan 04, 2010 Mandy rated it it was ok
I was disenchanted by Ffyona Campbell's admission shortly after I finished reading this book that she had "cheated" on her walk through America, taking lifts for about 1,000 miles of the walk. I may not have realised then that Ffyona was in the early stages of pregnancy at the time, and not well. Or maybe I did and did not understand the extreme physical and mental exhaustion that pregnancy can make you feel.

Anyway, I then doubted the veracity of this book - probably unfairly. The book tells of
Mar 23, 2013 Alex rated it it was ok
A hard book to read. Sometimes, as hard as the Walk itself!

I didn't know anything about Ffyona until somebody give me this book and told me it was ok. I wouldn't have read otherwise.

I did not relate to her quest. I find it hard to do so, when you have a Land Rover with a "variable" crew, helping you along the way. It was a major turn off, for me, during the length of the book.
Why didn't she went alone? Was it a logistical aspect of complying with the rules of a official record? I'll never know..
This book was mildly interesting as far as memoirs go. I enjoy reading travel stories, and this one was nice because I've been to some of the countries she walked through and live on the border of another. I don't really get the drive of someone to do something like Ffyona did, but admire her for sticking it out.
Marie Knock
Feb 16, 2013 Marie Knock rated it it was amazing
This was the first of Ffyona's books I read and I thought it was inspirational. I could not understand why I had not come across her before.

It charts her tale of a walk across Africa, her relationship with her support crew and the people she meets along the way. There's no doubt she's a determined and driven woman, and it is this side of her character that dominates most of the book. However, I was especially drawn in by the rare moments where she showed her heart and softened a little.

Some re
Keith Foskett
Mar 25, 2016 Keith Foskett rated it it was amazing
Ffyona Campbell was one of the first long distance hikers. This details just a section (across Africa!) of her mammoth trek all the way around the world.
If you love hiking, adventure and the outdoors it's well worth a read.
Simon Gisore
Sep 08, 2015 Simon Gisore rated it it was amazing
Loved every bit of it. It goes down to describe the reality on the ground and brings out a true picture of Africa and the fact that no matter what challenges the continent faces, there is still hope that one day things will be different; because Africa is so much more.
Aug 01, 2013 Judy rated it liked it
It grew on me. The first few chapters were a struggle as Ffyona was not particularly endearing and I did not really want to hear about her difficulties in getting on with her drivers. Two countries into Africa and she finally stops ranting and turns her attention to her fascinating surroundings. And then I was hooked enough to keep going. At times I lost track of who was who, and other times her anecdotes fizzled out too soon. But the experience is unique and for that reason it is worth persever ...more
Drew Pyke
Jan 07, 2013 Drew Pyke rated it liked it
I read this a long while ago but still remember being drawn into the persistence of this challenge, but then occasionally jilted when you consider the entourage around her and then the complete irrelevance of her relationship with one of the group. I do remember a near miss with one of the locals and a potential rape which adds weight to another review of this book I just saw that this is something to read about rather than do yourself.
Jan 01, 2008 Diana rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all-time favorite books. I picked up a copy at Heathrow airport and read it during the entire flight to SFO--I didn't even put it down waiting in line through customs. It's a remarkable story about a woman who walks across the entire continent of Africa. I found it intriguing that someone would even be inspired to do this, and it was interesting to read about all of her encounters along the way.
Aug 28, 2013 Jacqueline rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Not the best walking book I've ever read, but it has its moments. Best lines: "Expeditions started as explorations, but the world has been explored. What remains is exploration of self, the need to make a journey. Native people understand this as part of life."
Feb 26, 2008 Di rated it really liked it
The idea of walking 10,000 miles across Africa, from Cape Town to Cairo, just delights me. It's something I would prefer to read of as opposed to actually walking.

Jan Ashley
Jan 20, 2013 Jan Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: auto-biographies
I was exhausted by the time I got to the end...felt I had taken every step with her. Fantastic read. Couldnt put it down.
Apr 04, 2013 Margaret rated it it was ok
Too much on her health issues and trouble with so many different companions. One book on her walk across Australia sufficient
Jun 19, 2008 Judith rated it liked it
Walking on foot through Africa does not make you an instant good writer. Still I had to finish it, so that must mean something.
Dec 26, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: kenya-1999-2004
A light read, interesting to a point.
Jul 14, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
The power of the human will,,,unbreakable!
Carl Smith-owens
Nov 07, 2013 Carl Smith-owens rated it liked it
Shelves: travel-writing
Tara rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2016
Amy is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2016
Randa is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2016
Olivier Cruchant
Olivier Cruchant marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Mike Tonge
Mike Tonge rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
Olivia added it
Oct 03, 2016
Loes rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Gavin rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Joanna rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Traversa
  • The Man Who Cycled The World
  • Polar Dream: The First Solo Expedition by a Woman and Her Dog to the Magnetic North Pole
  • Africa Trek 1
  • The Wrong Way Home
  • African Silences
  • In The Land Of Oz
  • Mind Over Matter (Delta Expedition)
  • Castaway
  • The Ukimwi Road
  • Chasing the Devil: The Search for Africa's Fighting Spirit
  • Lois on the Loose: One Woman, One Motorcycle, 20,000 Miles Across the Americas
  • Malaria Dreams: An African Adventure