Start by marking “Leadership Through the Ages: A Collection of Favorite Quotations” as Want to Read:
Leadership Through the Ages: A Collection of Favorite Quotations

Leadership Through the Ages: A Collection of Favorite Quotations

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Published October 1st 2002 by Miramax Books

To ask other readers questions about Leadership Through the Ages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leadership Through the Ages

I was surprised that this book talked more about his management style running New York City and not about conservative politics and principles. He espouses basic principles about leadership that would be useful running any large entity, His use of metrics to gauge the success or failure of a program could be applied to anywhere outside of government. Do not expect much about the personal life known to hit the back pages of the New York Post. This is not a tell all biography. Overall, it is an ea ...more
I have heard some great things about Giuliani, but this book made me believe all that I have heard. Giuliani's style of leadership while mayor is a great example for all of us learning the basics. He has set his course and kept to it. He knows what works for him and gives us the breakdown. Not that his course will always fit our own style of leadership, but it provides some great points to remember. At times, I felt myself reading an election bid for President. If he did run I would seriously co ...more
Asked for and received as a gift. I don't know. Going to HPB.

Found a video of his opening the 2001 Season of Saturday Night Live and his monologue really was great. Those were words we should have used. Paul Simon played "The Boxer;" and it will induce some tears. Anyway, there's no mystery why people wanted to hear more from him after all that tragedy and how New York deals.

July 2014.
I listened to this one on tape (okay, MP3, I guess) and thought it was interesting. It sounds like he did a lot of good for New York. But, if you've read Freakanomics, you know that a lot of the crime rate drops could very well have been attributed to other things. It was interesting to learn what he was doing during Sept. 11th though. Good read, for sure!
Bjorn Hardarson
I great book to read, I am not intrested in US politics or his side in politics. What made this book a great book to read is how he reduced crimes in NY dow more than 60%. For me that is the power of good system or good software system. Everyone in any goverment, health care and etc. should learn from this book
David Robins
Good book, great examples, bit too much cop-worship, but they're a powerful union in NYC. He didn't spend overmuch time on 9/11, although of course he had to include it, but instead emphasized the structure and relationships he had built up beforehand that helped him and his team through it.
Andrianto SS
Great story of a tough leader in the midst of the catastrophe of NYC. Recommended to Indonesian who thirst a figure of strong, accountable leader. This true story should amaze us how this gentleman played his role in 8 years to reduce the criminal 67%. Salute to Rudi!
Gerald Murphy
Great book on leadership. Different area of work but very like many of Jack Welch book on his principals of leadership at GE. Makes me wonder why Rudy did not do well in Pres primary race. Also makes me wonder how NY could recently elect their new guy
Rick Abbott
A terrific insight into the mind of one of the greatest leaders of the century. Giuliani clearly lays out that the leadership that he provided in 9/11 didn't just happen, it was predicated on years of putting great systems in place. Awesome book. A must read.
Great book! Focuses on managing and leadership with no attention paid to personal relationship issues, which I respect. Politics is mentioned but is not the main focus of the book. Riveting accounts of Sept. 11th really touched me.
Great book. Must read. Finished it in one sitting but I know I will get many miles out of it. Incredibly motivational.
Andrea Fontana
I will not live with blinders on.
okay. alright. I got through one chapter and a few excerpts thereafter.
An interesting book about leadership and the key points to being a successful leader
I read this book b/c I met Guiliani at a booksigning. Funny story about that.
Figured I give it a try , but got tired of him kissing his own butt
Al marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
James marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Matthew Thomas
Matthew Thomas marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Kortney marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Leslie marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
  • Reagan, in His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan That Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America
  • The Downing Street Years
  • Part of My Soul Went with Him
  • Turnaround: Crisis, Leadership,and the Olympic Games
  • Dealing with Darwin: How Great Companies Innovate at Every Phase of Their Evolution
  • Alexander the Great
  • Think Big, Act Small: How America's Most Profitable Companies Keep the Start-up Spirit Alive
  • John Adams: Party of One
  • Ten Minutes from Normal
  • Reading the Man: A Portrait of Robert E. Lee Through His Private Letters
  • The President, the Pope, And the Prime Minister: Three Who Changed the World
  • If You Don't Have Big Breasts, Put Ribbons on Your Pigtails: And Other Lessons I Learned from My Mom
  • Just Who Will You Be?
  • Great Books of the Western World
  • The Heart of a Leader
  • The Power Principle: Influence With Honor
  • Now They Call Me Infidel: Why I Renounced Jihad for America, Israel, and the War on Terror
  • When Character Was King: A Story of Ronald Reagan