Start by marking “Henry Bumstead and the World of Hollywood Art Direction” as Want to Read:
Henry Bumstead and the World of Hollywood Art Direction

Henry Bumstead and the World of Hollywood Art Direction

From a hotel in Marrakech in The Man Who Knew Too Much, to small-town Alabama in To Kill a Mockingbird, to Mission Control in Space Cowboys, creating a fictional, yet wholly believable world in which to film a movie has been the passion and life's work of Henry Bumstead, one of Hollywood's most celebrated production designers. In a career that has spanned nearly seventy ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by University of Texas Press

Be the first to ask a question about Henry Bumstead and the World of Hollywood Art Direction

David Allen
Nov 17, 2013 David Allen rated it liked it
What is an art director or production designer? This book explains via the 70-year career of Bumstead, who helped find locations and build sets for Clint Eastwood, Alfred Hitchcock and others. I knew Henry a little and he seems as cheerful in this book as in my encounter with him. This book might have benefited from more specifics on how a set is built, dressed and aged. But the anecdotes are charming.
Chris Gager
Jul 23, 2012 Chris Gager rated it liked it
Henry was the father of a good friend of mine when I lived in Boulder in the 70's and 80's. I read some of this book when I visited her in San Diego in 2007. Henry had died fairly recently. She and I and others were watching the Oscars from Boulder the night he won his second statue for "The Sting".
Igor Foja
Igor Foja rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2008
Hilary Taylor
Hilary Taylor rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2012
Natalie Mattox
Natalie Mattox rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Melody
Melody marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2013