The Transformation of American Quakerism: Orthodox Friends, 1800-1907 (Religion in North America)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  3 reviews
"Hamm has simply produced the best book on Quaker history in recent years." --Quaker History

..". will stand as one of the most important works in the field." --American Historical Review
Published April 1st 1988 by Indiana University Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Transformation of American Quakerism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Transformation of American Quakerism

Carol
Dec 16, 2007 Carol rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: understanding tensions among Friends
Shelves: quakerism
How devastating schism is for everyone. I found this book so heartbreaking I could only read it in small installments, then I had to go outside and walk around a while. What is redemptive is Tom Hamm's clarity of mind--and soul.
Niadwynwen Koch
This book was organized and informative but I did not find it evocative or easy to get through.
Requesting this through ILL meant I couldn't renew it. Maybe another time.
Zana
Zana marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Bruce
Bruce added it
May 07, 2014
Dena Sanders
Dena Sanders marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Judy Maurer
Judy Maurer marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Thom Foolery
Thom Foolery marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2011
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2011
Erin Brady
Erin Brady marked it as to-read
May 18, 2011
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2009
The Quakers in America Quaker Writings: An Anthology, 1650-1920 Hurrying Toward Zion: Universities, Divinity Schools, and American Protestantism God's Government Begun Earlham College: A History, 1847-1997