The Romance of Three Kingdoms, Vol. 2

The Romance of Three Kingdoms, Vol. 2

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  459 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Containing the last 60 chapters of this epic Chinese work, ably translated by Brewitt-Taylor. In this second volume, we learn more of the rise of Jin, the fates of Cao Cao, Liu Bei and Sun Quan, and how the near-century of strife caused by the fall of Han came to a close.
Published November 1st 2005 by Silk Pagoda (first published September 28th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Romance of Three Kingdoms, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Romance of Three Kingdoms, Vol. 2

Greg
This review is for both volumes, since I read this about 20 years ago and don't recall the differences between the two.

I read this book in 1994 or so, when I lived in Japan after college. The oldest son of a family with whom I was close (he was also about 23) loved this book and emphasized how important this epic had been to East Asian culture. He wasn't an anthropologist or cultural historian, but he was a well-read history buff and I trusted his judgment. Just in pop culture over the past 30 y...more
Beth
The second volume of this saga suffers from the same issues I complained about after reading the first volume: mainly poor proofreading, awkward choices of wording, and bad formatting. The story itself actually started to make sense for me. In the first volume, there were many characters and lots of fighting, people who were important in one chapter might die in battle in the next chapter, so I found it difficult to keep track of who was doing what and why it mattered. The last part of that volu...more
Craig Herbertson
As for volume 1: brilliant. Chinese Lord of the Rings with a million names and several deep and enchanting characters. Superbly balanced and plotted - archaic though, superficially repetitive and difficult to follow the variety of similar Chinese names. However the repetition of battles in a war torn kingdom somehow doesn't pall.
Brian R. Mcdonald
Jun 02, 2010 Brian R. Mcdonald marked it as books-with-go-references  ·  review of another edition
The Raomance has a number of references to the game of go, but the most notable occurs in Chapter LXXV of this translation. Kwan Yu is a general known for his bravery and loyalty. He gets wounded in the arm by a poisoned arrow, and requires surgery to cut out the affected flash. Hua Tuo, portrayed as the greatest doctor in Chinese history or legend, approaches the general while the latter is engaged in a game of Go. The doctor proposes bringing general Kwan to a private room, where his arm can b...more
Evan
The edition is not a good translation and has issues with grammar structure.

Overall the story is great as it finishes what began in Volume 1. Here we see many heroes age and fall. The next generation prepares to accept the weight put on their shoulders by their fathers. This volume details the end of the heroic age, and the beginning of peace under one banner. Major battles ensue and internal corruption will eventually lead to the destruction of one clan.

"A country divided will unite."

Luo Guanzh...more
Benjamin
Mar 02, 2007 Benjamin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: As first book
Shelves: classics
Book 2 is not as good as Book 1. Same translation problem, but as the principals of Book 1 die off, you start to wonder, "other than Chuko Liang, who kicks much ass, why do I care about these people?"

By the last chapter, you think, "everyone who I cared about is dead; do we really need to wrap up the whole war?"

However, there are 600-some pages of Book 2, so most of it provides the same besieging, beheading goodness as Book 1.
Meeg
Alas, the Three Kingdoms Era is finally at an end and China has been reunited by the Jin dynasty (apparently that doesn't last very long). Its a melancholy ending in that all our favorite characters have died before the last 16 chapters. Still, as the story winds down treacherous acts are repaid, lessons from the past are ignored, countless armies are ambushed and plenty of messengers are beheaded.
!Tæmbuŝu
Aug 26, 2014 !Tæmbuŝu marked it as unread-hard-wif-ecopies-eng  ·  review of another edition
KOBOBOOKS (Volume 2)

Apparently the best translation is the one by Moss Roberts according to this.

Alanood Burhaima
Undoubtedly the best 14th century novel ever written!! A true masterpiece...
David
As I said in the review of the first volume, a true Chinese epic.
Shonan_naminori
Same as vol. 1, save for the typos; excellent.
Sunjun Park
Again, one of my personal favorites.
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Luís Blue B.
Luís Blue B. marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Budi_bxd14081975
Budi_bxd14081975 marked it as to-read
Francie Grice
Francie Grice marked it as to-read
Zonnah
Zonnah is currently reading it
Lang Tran
Lang Tran marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
3osh
3osh marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Rich
Rich marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Anky Fangiono
Anky Fangiono marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Karen Lofgren
Karen Lofgren marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
  • Outlaws of the Marsh (Vol. 1-4)
  • The Journey to the West, Volume 2
  • The Plum in the Golden Vase or, Chin P'ing Mei: Vol. One: The Gathering
  • The Story of the Stone, Vol. 2: The Crab-Flower Club
  • Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio
  • The Book and the Sword
  • The Real Story of Ah-Q and Other Tales of China: The Complete Fiction of Lu Xun
  • The Recognition of 'Sakuntala: A Play in Seven Acts
  • The Search for Modern China
  • Mencius
  • The Tale of the Heike
  • The Complete Works of Chuang Tzu
  • Essays in Idleness: The Tsurezuregusa of Kenko
  • The Gossamer Years: The Diary of a Noblewoman of Heian Japan
Luo Ben (c. 1330–1400), better known by his style name Luo Guanzhong (Mandarin pronunciation: [lwɔ kwantʂʊŋ]), was a Chinese writer who lived during the Yuan Dynasty. He was also known by his pseudonym Huhai Sanren (Chinese: 湖海散人; pinyin: Húhǎi Sǎnrén; literally "Leisure Man of Lakes and Seas"). Luo was attributed with writing Romance of the Three Kingdoms and editing Water Margin, two of the Four...more
More about Luo Guanzhong...
Three Kingdoms: Classic Novel in Four Volumes Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Vol. 1 Sam Kok 1 Three Kingdoms: A Historical Novel. Abridged Edition Three Kingdoms: Chinese Classics (Classic Novel in 4-Volumes)