Start by marking “Myths That Every Child Should Know” as Want to Read:
Myths That Every Child Should Know

Myths That Every Child Should Know

This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about Myths That Every Child Should Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myths That Every Child Should Know

Seamaiden
More than two thirds of the book are Greek myths that I was taught at school or read at home when I was a kid. Some of them were given as the Roman version of them but still I enjoyed them. I also loved the myths about Odin, Thor and Loki, even though I didn't like Loki.

I enjoyed reading the myths. The names of the places confused me some times because some of them are different from the Greek ones but I still enjoyed the myths.
Sajjad A. Mohammadi
This was another audio book that I enjoyed listening to, in my long trips. Although it is written for every child to know but I as a youth felt like a child listening to all the epic adventures and missions undertaken by the famous legendary heroes of the ancient Greece depicted in The Iliad and The Odyssey of Homer.
What's interesting was that a few chapters at the end of the book included the Norse myths that i did not expect to be there.
Robert
Mar 01, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice retelling of some classic tales, most of which I had read before. The stories are a good overview of mythology for young people. Those in their early teens who wish to know more of a particular story can find fuller and more traditional accounts, but this book seems and apt introduction for them.
Shelley
I found this very boring, and the myths I though were going to be familar (such as Pandora's Box) were not at all. I don't know if the author was taking liberties with the myths or just making stuff up out of whole cloth, but I was very dissapointed with this book and I'm surprised it has a 4 star rating. I got about 1/2 way through and then just...could not finish.
Amelia
Jan 18, 2014 Amelia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the title suggests it is a collection of the basic myths in Greek and Norse mythology which every child should know. It's a good book to read every once and a while. Reading it straight through would be sort of burdensome.
Tennille
Jan 11, 2014 Tennille rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected

I expected this to be more short stories of other myths.. wasn't what I expected at all. Still good if you're into those older stories. only gets this rating because I believed it to be something other than it actually is.
Collin Hunter
May 16, 2014 Collin Hunter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dumb

bad bad I hate it so much I hate it
I hate it I hate it I hate it so much
I know it's made up lives
Stinger
Jul 23, 2012 Stinger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, myth-fantasy
Great highlights of the Greek and Norse myths! My 9 y.o. son and I enjoyed reading it together for bedtime stories.
Maryalice
Apr 04, 2015 Maryalice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this mostly to see if I had read the myths I should have read as a child. Yep except the norwigen myths. It was good to revisit them.
Stacy
Nov 11, 2010 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this on the Kindle app of my Blackberry, and it's just occurred to me that the downside to that is that I can't pass this one on to my niece. Really enjoyed these.
Lexi Slobodnik
Lexi Slobodnik rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2013
Ethan E
Ethan E rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Stacy Porter
Stacy Porter rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Vince
Vince rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Beth Groom
Beth Groom rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2011
Lindsey Collins
Lindsey Collins rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2014
David Reynolds
David Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2014
Taylor Abrahamson
Taylor Abrahamson rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
teresa Jordan Mitchell
teresa Jordan Mitchell rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Carey Rulo
Carey Rulo rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2014
Paul Hoke
Paul Hoke rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Shahriar Chowdhury
Shahriar Chowdhury rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2017
J.D.Staton
J.D.Staton rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2015
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Stephanie Cirko
Stephanie Cirko rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2011
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2016
  • Wonder Tales: Six French Stories of Enchantment
  • Breaking Into Japanese Literature: Seven Modern Classics in Parallel Text
  • A Bit Of Singing And Dancing
  • The Snow Spider Trilogy
  • Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag (Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag, #1)
  • Rip Van Winkle and Other Stories
  • Legacy: Arthurian Saga
  • Canes and Scales
  • The Woman Who Rode Away and Other Stories
  • Curious, If True: Strange Tales
Hamilton Wright Mabie, A.M., L.H.D., LL.D. (1846–1916) was an American essayist, editor, critic, and lecturer.
More about Hamilton Wright Mabie...

“It is a very old and widely spread superstition that when a dog howls at night someone not far away is dying or will soon die. Many people are uncomfortable when they hear a dog howling after dark, not because they believe that dogs have any knowledge that death is present or coming, but because their ancestors for many centuries believed that the howling of a dog was ominous,” 0 likes