Start by marking “Myths That Every Child Should Know” as Want to Read:
Myths That Every Child Should Know

Myths That Every Child Should Know

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about Myths That Every Child Should Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myths That Every Child Should Know

Seamaiden
More than two thirds of the book are Greek myths that I was taught at school or read at home when I was a kid. Some of them were given as the Roman version of them but still I enjoyed them. I also loved the myths about Odin, Thor and Loki, even though I didn't like Loki.

I enjoyed reading the myths. The names of the places confused me some times because some of them are different from the Greek ones but I still enjoyed the myths.
Sajjad A. Mohammadi
This was another audio book that I enjoyed listening to, in my long trips. Although it is written for every child to know but I as a youth felt like a child listening to all the epic adventures and missions undertaken by the famous legendary heroes of the ancient Greece depicted in The Iliad and The Odyssey of Homer.
What's interesting was that a few chapters at the end of the book included the Norse myths that i did not expect to be there.
Tennille
Not what I expected

I expected this to be more short stories of other myths.. wasn't what I expected at all. Still good if you're into those older stories. only gets this rating because I believed it to be something other than it actually is.
Shelley
I found this very boring, and the myths I though were going to be familar (such as Pandora's Box) were not at all. I don't know if the author was taking liberties with the myths or just making stuff up out of whole cloth, but I was very dissapointed with this book and I'm surprised it has a 4 star rating. I got about 1/2 way through and then just...could not finish.
Robert
A nice retelling of some classic tales, most of which I had read before. The stories are a good overview of mythology for young people. Those in their early teens who wish to know more of a particular story can find fuller and more traditional accounts, but this book seems and apt introduction for them.
Amelia
As the title suggests it is a collection of the basic myths in Greek and Norse mythology which every child should know. It's a good book to read every once and a while. Reading it straight through would be sort of burdensome.
Stacy
I read this on the Kindle app of my Blackberry, and it's just occurred to me that the downside to that is that I can't pass this one on to my niece. Really enjoyed these.
Stinger
Great highlights of the Greek and Norse myths! My 9 y.o. son and I enjoyed reading it together for bedtime stories.
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2014
Dwayne Mchottie
Dwayne Mchottie marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Dontaskme Tyler
Dontaskme Tyler marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Karla Molina saavedra
Karla Molina saavedra marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Meagan Ruth
Meagan Ruth marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Ruth Anderson
Ruth Anderson marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Pei-Hsin
Pei-Hsin marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Melissa Kitano
Melissa Kitano marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Snow Spider Trilogy
  • Rip Van Winkle and Other Stories
  • Legacy: Arthurian Saga
  • The Portable Edmund Burke
  • Traditional Irish Fairy Tales
  • The Universe Next Door: The Making of Tomorrow's Science
  • Questions and Answers on Death and Dying: A Companion Volume to On Death and Dying
  • The Art of WALL.E
  • The Story of a Bad Boy
  • Vancouver
  • Moondial
  • Churchill's Black Dog and Other Phenomena of the Human Mind
Hamilton Wright Mabie, A.M., L.H.D., LL.D. (1846–1916) was an American essayist, editor, critic, and lecturer.
More about Hamilton Wright Mabie...
Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know Norse Mythology: Great Stories from the Eddas Folk Tales Every Child Should Know Legends That Every Child Should Know: A Selection of the Great Legends of All Times for Young People Heroes Every Child Should Know (Yesterday's Classics)

“It is a very old and widely spread superstition that when a dog howls at night someone not far away is dying or will soon die. Many people are uncomfortable when they hear a dog howling after dark, not because they believe that dogs have any knowledge that death is present or coming, but because their ancestors for many centuries believed that the howling of a dog was ominous,” 0 likes