Start by marking “Winter Woman” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  130 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Her prayer was simple: "Dear God, let me die!"

But Cordelia Channing—preacher's wife, preacher's widow—lived and was born anew as Winter Woman, a woman of power who'd survived the deadliest season in the mountains alone.

Paperback, Harlequin Historical #671, 296 pages
Published September 2003 by Harlequin Books

To ask other readers questions about Winter Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Woman

Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'ConnellAnnie's Song by Catherine AndersonComanche Moon by Catherine AndersonTexas Destiny by Lorraine HeathThe Texan's Wager by Jodi Thomas
Favorite Historical Western Romance Novels
185th out of 430 books — 856 voters
Motorcycle Man by Kristen AshleyLover Unbound by J.R. WardSweet Dreams by Kristen AshleyTruth or Beard by Penny ReidA Virgin River Christmas by Robyn Carr
Best Bearded Heroes
17th out of 80 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Kay

I just loved this book! It was just what I was looking for...a quick read that would carry me away to the 1830's and the Rocky Mountains. It was action-packed all the way and was clever at all the right spots. After checking the author's website, I read the backstory and this tale is inspired by a real woman's story. This is definitely an author I will read again.

August 15, 2012 update - fixed misspelling! Eep.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
This book helped me to further appreciate frontier, mountain man books. I loved the hero. He was tough and hard, but he had the gentle heart to heal his tortured heroine. I also enjoyed watching the heroine come into her own strength. This is an excellent book.
Penny Watson
Sep 19, 2011 Penny Watson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bearded-hero
Review of Winter Woman by Jenna Kernan

Penelope's introduction to the American frontier was the same as many other small girls....that is to say, Little House On The Prairie. Yes, I voraciously read that entire series, and I learned about how difficult it was for pioneers to survive. Cold, unforgiving winters, the threat of starvation, animal attacks, hungry hordes of grasshoppers, sickness without modern medicine, and Native Americans who could be friend or foe.

(I also suspect that my beard feti
Virginia Campbell
I was born and raised in the mountains of VA, where I still reside. I grew up in a western-loving household, and I call myself "a prairie woman at heart". While I love my Southern heritage, there is also a deep and abiding connection with the American Frontier and the American Old West. I feel as though I could set my birth date back 100 years and not lose my stride. Jenna Kernan's "Winter Woman" is an amazing woman, indeed! Cordelia Channing and her husband John set out to become missionaries i ...more
Kathleen
(Content: a few sex scenes; minimal or no swearing; gruesome deaths alluded to but not explicit. There was a scene where one tribe of natives massacred and mutilated another tribe. Disturbing. I skimmed it)

3.5 stars. An enjoyable story! Tense in various sections, and action packed. Interesting, too -- all the survivalist info. I will probably try another of her books.

Plot: Cordelia heroically survives a winter in the Rocky Mountains after her husband dies in October. Crow Indians come upon her
Joanne
Oct 18, 2010 Joanne rated it liked it
I liked this book about a preacher and his wife traveling west to christianize the indians. The preacher dies and his wife survives a deadly season in the mountains alone afterwhich the indians call her Winter Woman and have respect for her. The indians take her to a trapper named Thomas Nash and together they not only find their way out of the dangerous mountains but end up with more than they bargain for.
Mary23nm
I really liked this book but thought the ending was weak and there was no epilogue.
Michelle Robinson
This was an interesting read. I'm glad I found it at the used bookstore near my town.

I found the storyline very compelling and different. Cordelia had been left alone all winter when her husband dies, as the travel across the west to become missionaries, a tribe of Indians find her and take her to Nash.

Nash is an embittered man, that I did not think of as handsome. He was harsh with Cordelia when she first arrived. I could not think of him as a jerk, he was a little comical, to me. He reminded
Michelle
May 13, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it
Here is what I am reading now:

Jenna Kernan
Harlequin Historical Western
289 pages

Her Prayer was Simple:
"Dear God, Let me Die!"

But Cordelia Channing-preacher's wife, preacher's widow-lived and was born anew as Winter Woman, a woman of power who'd survived the deadlist season in the mountains alone.

She knew she could never do it again. Though perhaps there was no need, for Providence had sent her Thomas Nash, an enigmatic Mountain Man who stirred the deep places of her questing soul.

Nash
Karen
Jan 21, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bit preachy and judgemental at first but when Delia opened to new perspective improved greatly.

Exciting adventure with bear attacks, several encounters with different native Americans +'ve & -'ve, learning about trapping, skinning & preserving all in the safety of home.
kate
May 06, 2015 kate rated it it was amazing
Great story. Romance. History. Survival. It has in all.
Melissa Johnson
Apr 13, 2013 Melissa Johnson rated it it was amazing
One of those hidden gems in category romance, this might be a story that got past your radar. This is a western adventure romance with a strong heroine that becomes a legend for doing the unthinkable -- surviving a winter alone in the mountains. She can't do it again and the desperation of Cordelia'a past made for a heart-wrenching layer when she meets up with enigmatic Mountain Man Thomas Nash. No wonder why she sticks to him like glue on their dangerous trek out of the mountains! I love to rer ...more
Cristina Contilli
"Perdonami, Delia." Perché dovrei perdonarvi?" "Perché ho bisogno di te. Sei la cosa più importante che esista al mondo per me."

Anche se frasi simili sono più da romanzo rosa che da vita reale ogni tanto fa bene anche sognare!!!

Dawn ♥ romance
Oct 10, 2011 Dawn ♥ romance rated it it was amazing
1835 this rugged life on the American frontier story had me captivated from beginning to end. Widow Delia spent the winter alone in the mountains. In the spring she hooks up with trapper Nash to return to civilization.
Sanya
Jun 30, 2013 Sanya rated it really liked it
Shelves: western, stranded
If you've read Turner's woman, it's the same book with some plot modification. Still, both books are entertaining if you like the "stranded" theme. Maybe it's more 3 and a half stars for me
Joanie
Sep 12, 2010 Joanie rated it really liked it
Cordelia met Thomas Nash in an unsual way. Will they stay together or get killed by Indians, bears or rapids in a river? An excellent read.
Jeannie
Jan 29, 2014 Jeannie rated it it was amazing
loved it
A
A rated it did not like it
Apr 27, 2016
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Madison Zelhofer
Madison Zelhofer marked it as to-read
Rebecca Van daniker
Rebecca Van daniker marked it as to-read
Nancy Anderson
Nancy Anderson marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Melia Cryer-malone
Melia Cryer-malone marked it as to-read
A Thompson
A Thompson marked it as to-read
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Risa
Risa rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
  • Mountain Wild (Wild, #3)
  • Rocky Mountain Man (Bluebonnet Bride, #6)
  • Small Treasures
  • The Wedding Promise
  • Homeward Hearts
  • The Savage
  • Come Back
  • The Devil's Lady (de Laci, #1)
  • The Texan's Reward (Wife Lottery, #4)
  • Cheyenne Amber
  • Rose (Seven Brides, #1)
  • Bodacious
  • Parting Gifts
  • Along the Way Home
  • Asmodeus (Fallen Angel, #2)
  • The Marriage Bed
  • Brides of Prairie Gold (Dangerous Men, #2)
Jenna Kernan writes romantic suspense for Harlequin Intrigue, Western Historical fiction and paranormal romance for the Nocturne line. Winner of the Book Buyers' Best award and two-time RITA nominee, Jenna has published over twenty romance novels since WINTER WOMAN in 2003. Her APACHE PROTECTOR series releases in December 2015 with SHADOW WOLF (#1). Other titles include: HUNTER MOON (#2), TRIBAL L ...more
More about Jenna Kernan...