Start by marking “Ningun Beso Para Mama = No Kiss for Mother” as Want to Read:
Ningun Beso Para Mama = No Kiss for Mother

Ningun Beso Para Mama = No Kiss for Mother

Children will sympathize with bad-kitty Piper Paw when he refuses to wear the clothes his mother sets out, squirms from her when she smothers him in kisses, and won't eat when she desperately tries to please him with his favorite foods.Through every disruptive means available to him -- slingshots, stink bombs, spiders, pea shooters. and firecrackers -- young Piper manages ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Lumen Press (first published May 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Ningun Beso Para Mama = No Kiss for Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ningun Beso Para Mama = No Kiss for Mother

Manny
This is my favorite children's book of all time. Piper Paw is a seriously frustrated pre-teen kitten. He loves his mom (well, doesn't everyone, deep down?), but is sick to death of her overprotective ways. Can't she see that he plays on the football team and has already started smoking? What's wrong with her? Is she COMPLETELY in denial? Matters come to a head when he gets into a big schoolyard fight with one of his friends the day she's due to come and pick him up for lunch. She freaks out and ...more
Cheryl
Dec 18, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"[H]e usually manages to get himself
kicked out of class before homework inspection.
'It's better to have bad grades in conduct than in work,'
he tells the other pupils."

I think this is more of a memoir than fiction....

Not for little kids, despite the picture-book format. Nifty words like Vicious and Compassionately. Chapters, and lots of text. Fighting and sneaking smokes in the bathroom. But the ending is perfect, and understandable to all.

Ungerer is truly one-of-a-kind. Moon Man is still my favo
Nicigirl85
Dec 24, 2015 Nicigirl85 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Titel: Mal ein ganz anderes Kinderbuch...

Ich weiß nicht wie es euch geht, aber die meisten Kinderbücher sind entweder Märchen oder aber es geht um super brave Kinder und das Buch ist quietschbunt. Da sticht Katerchen Toby doch völlig aus der Masse hervor.

In der Geschichte geht es um das Katzenkind Toby Tatze, das man als Mama nicht unbedingt geschenkt haben möchte, denn Toby zählt nicht gerade zu den artigen Kindern. Ihm geistern viele Ideen durch den Kopf, nur sind diese nicht immer ganz so cle
notgettingenough
Dec 17, 2012 notgettingenough rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Having read this at the same time as Otto, I find it very odd that this is so nicely written, when Otto is not. Is it perhaps because it is written in English, whereas Otto is translated from German (presumably by the author).

A charming book - I have no idea why the publisher's hype on the cover calls it 'outrageous and controversial' - both words and pictures.
Reb
Sep 28, 2011 Reb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We loved this book so much, we named two of our cats Piper and Mitzi
Erika_kartmann
Die schwarz/weiß-Zeichnungen sind wunderschön, niedlich und superlustig zugleich.
Die kurze Geschichte um den akut an Pubertät erkrankten Kater Toby spielt in einer westlichen Großstadt in den 1970ern und das merkt man auch: Toby kriegt von seiner Mutter ein paar gewatscht, Toby raucht heimlich auf dem Schulklo und Toby mag auch kein Zähneputzen.
Also wird das Buch auch mit neuer Rechtschreibung sicher keine Grundschullektüre. Umso besser : Da kann man das Buch zu Hause vorlesen.
Ray
Feb 01, 2017 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Cute, little kids book. Entertaining, and relatable to children of that age where they no longer want to be kissed by their mothers.
Fran
May 04, 2017 Fran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly amusing, but some parents would definitely not approve!
Adam
Jul 12, 2017 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never read a Tomi Ungerer book before. It was crazy!
Amy Chesman
I liked this book . Piper, the cat is growing up and no longer wants to be smothered by his overbearing mother's kisses. Many kids, especially boys go through this phase. But I wonder if this book, originally published in the 70's, would be appropriate for a contemporary audience? Today's parents and teachers are very sensitive to some of this story's elements, including children (young kittens) playing with smoke bombs and firecrackers, gambling, fist fights, smoking cigars. In addition, the fa ...more
KayeC Jones
May 02, 2016 KayeC Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an easy-to-read chapter book, but don't let that fool you. It's totally different than any other children's book that I've read.

"Outrageous and controversial" indeed, but funny.

It follows a kitty named Piper who is a little fireball, to say the least. He's very willful and rebellious, but in the end learns that he can't say and do whatever he wants without repercussions.

I really like this book, but I can see what many people don't. You definitely require a strong sense of humor and a cer
Seizure Romero
Oct 26, 2007 Seizure Romero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidbooks
I don't have children, so when I pick up a book for children it's usually because of the illustrations. Feel free to judge this book by its cover. I laughed my ass off before I even opened it. OK, so if you really care about the story, a bratty kitten learns about compromise in regards to his affectionate mother. Whatever. LOOK AT THAT FACE. That, my friends, is comedy.
Raewyn
Jun 30, 2012 Raewyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite children's book of all time, perhaps better suited to adults and older kids of the less PC persuasion. I love the illustrations (Piper's face on the cover is priceless!) and the humor.
The book has been out of print for a few years but is making a welcome return September-ish - I've preordered from Book Depository, should also be available elsewhere.
Lisa Vegan
Jan 06, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Phyllis
I didn’t like the corporal punishment, fighting, cigar included in a young children’s book. It will certainly resonate with those kids who are at that age when a public display of affection by a parent elicits horror and I think some of these kids might enjoy this book. I wasn’t wowed by the pictures or the story though.
Lynne
Dec 30, 2012 Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book when I was a kid, though a major plot point reflects the ethics of its day that are rather less acceptable now. Might save it for an older kid who can understand that the way things are done can change from generation to generation, or even be different between households.
Anjanette Wold
Read this with Gretchen and frankly Piper has a smack coming if you ask me... it's a weird little story. It's like eavesdropping on someone's argument. Ah well.... We were exploring Tomi Ungerer. He's not sticky sweet that's for sure....
Albena
Jul 18, 2013 Albena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charmingly old-fashioned. I believe there is nothing else to tell better about the educational and parenting practices of a time than the children's books of that time. From a historical perspective, worth reading.
Karschtl
Ich fand die Geschichte voll süß, und die Zeichnungen natürlich auch. Hab's eigentlich mitgenommen, damit mein Freund es lesen kann. Der mag manchmal so schöne Kinderbücher. Bisher hat er es aber noch nicht durchgeblättert, dafür hab ich es gestern getan.
Kathy Ferrell
Nov 12, 2012 Kathy Ferrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-these
Love this funny, tender book! Piper Paw is mad at his mother, Mrs. Velvet Paw and refuses to kiss her goodbye before school. See how Mrs. Paw deals with Piper and everything comes out for the good in the end. It is funny and like all Ungerer books, just a little bit subversive.
Molly
Sep 18, 2014 Molly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I don't think I'm being overly pc, but this book was kind of... discomfiting? Just generally unpleasant and with a weird kind of ending. Very much tones of domestic abuse- made me uncomfortable, and even the cat illustrations couldn't save it for me.
Sarah Fox
This is a children's book about a horrible child and what one long suffering mother has to do to make him get his crap together. Spoiler alert - It's not kissing.
Barb Middleton
Sep 15, 2013 Barb Middleton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An adult book disguised for a kid. The characters are too nasty to be funny for me.
InYourFaceNewYorker
A hilarious and nervy book. Not surprised it's European. I'm sure a lot of parents here will complain about it while Europeans just laugh!
Jessica Rosner
Beautiful drawings. Funny, irreverent story.
Pam
Nov 14, 2008 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a bad cat! Fantastic illustrations.
Gwen
Mar 14, 2013 Gwen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeunesse
J'adore !!
J'ai toujours plaisir à le relire !
Rien que le titre j'adore car il me ressemble !!
Bridget
Bridget rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Oena
Oena rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2011
Daniel King
Daniel King rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2016
Parsley Spasbinder
Parsley Spasbinder rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Higglety Pigglety Pop! or There Must Be More to Life
  • The Turret (The Rescuers, #3)
  • The Teddy Bears' Picnic
  • 100万回生きたねこ (The Cat Who Lived a Million Times)
  • The Shrinking of Treehorn
  • Just in Case You Ever Wonder
  • Sleepy Kittens (Despicable Me)
  • Charlie Needs a Cloak
  • Hi, Cat!
  • The Enemy: A Book About Peace
  • Yoko
  • The Book About Moomin, Mymble and Little My (Sort of Children's Classics)
  • The Dreamfighter And Other Creation Tales
  • C D B!
  • Let's Be Enemies
  • The Private Eye #1
  • Lost Sloth
  • The Rabbit Problem
Jean-Thomas "Tomi" Ungerer is a French illustrator best known for his erotic and political illustrations as well as children's books.
More about Tomi Ungerer...