Start by marking “The Dastardly Book For Dogs” as Want to Read:
The Dastardly Book For Dogs

The Dastardly Book For Dogs

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  79 reviews
A LAUGH-OUT-LOUD PARODY: AN lLLUSTRATED GUIDE FOR--AND BY--DOGS, UNLOCKING THE MYSTERIES OF DOGHOOD AND TEACHING THEM HOW TO DO THE VERY ACTIVITIES THAT HUMAN SOCIETY SAYS ARE WRONG.

The Dangerous Book for Dogs asks a simple question: isn't there more to being a dog than wearing a mini cashmere sweater and riding around in a $400 evening clutch? What about the simple pleasu
Published October 1st 2007 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Dastardly Book For Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dastardly Book For Dogs

Dec 22, 2007 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves dogs and a good chuckle while reading
This is a parody on the Dangerous books for boys and girls. It is written from a dog's viewpoint for other dogs. If you are owned or have been owned by a furry canine, this book is a must read. The topics include everything from how to escape embarrassing costumes to begging and yes, even poop! It was a gift from a friend who now holds the title, "I found the perfect gift!."
Christyn
Mildly amusing, The Dangerous Book for Dogs wasn't quite as funny as I hoped it would be. Maybe it just didn't appeal to my sense of humor. Don't get me wrong there were some parts I found myself smiling but I wouldn't really call it "laugh-out-loud". There were a few lines/images that made me giggle. The illustrations were probably the best part of this book. Written as a "guide" for dogs, it was more meh than really funny, there's a reason it took me a few days to read through it. If you own ...more
Diana Waldron
This was a hoot. If you love or have loved a dog, and you enjoy the Onion, you'll be heartily entertained by this book.
Cymiki
full of cute, tongue in cheek stories as told from the dog's point of view. one of my favorite lines "your owner is at work, which is kind of like a kennel for humans."
Tim
This is such a great book! I gave it to my 12 year old for Christmas last year and he had a ball - reading it and to our dog.
Tim Stephens
Bits were funny but I expected much more from folks who have writing for The Onion among their professional credits.
Trace Guzman
When my English teacher read excerpts from The Dangerous Book for Dogs to the class I was hooked. I’m always up for a laugh, and that is exactly what he showcased. The moment he was done reading, I asked if I could check it out, and I can confidently say I made a good choice.
Throughout the book humor is constant, whether subtle, clear, hidden, or childish, it is there. For instance, the author addresses a dog association called “the Canine Defense Council” (Rex and Sparky 80). The acronym for
Pamela Conley
My 7 year old high level reader picked this out to read as part of the summer reading program and I had no idea how funny or high level reading this book would be. It is written by a group of folks that are contributors to The Onion. There are some sections that are really belly laugh hilarious. My 7 year old will give this 5 stars on his good reads listing. This is probably one of his favorite chapter books thus far.
This was a humorous insight into what dogs are thinking. I also saw that the authors were contributors to The Onion ( a website I used to love). I think they really did their research on this one. Keep this book away from your dogs because it teaches them all sorts of behavior that we, as their keepers, tend to frown upon. Some of these behaviors include how to embarrass us in front of our friends, or strangers, for that matter; how to escape a bath; how to make a bed out of our clothes; and how ...more
Jasmine
I was hoping this would be a genuinely funny parody of the Dangerous Book for Boys/Daring Book for girls. Unfortunately, that wish was not granted. I can see that the dog narrator's advice was meant to be funny, but it was just a bunch of activites that everyone knows dogs do. Dogs chase animals. Dogs chew shoes. Dogs like to play fetch with their owners. OKAY. Half of the sections did not even concern "dangerous" things for dogs to do, they were about famous dogs in history or epic walks or som ...more
Nikki
This book is a must read for all dog lovers! It is absolutely hilarious.
Chris
This book is a very good, quick read with some nice comedic moments throughout. If you love dogs (we are a dog family here), this is a good book to pick up from time to time. Lots of short snippets that are no more than 3-4 pages long, make for an easy way to read this when you need a short blip of humor. Did you know dogs practice art while peeing? Are you aware of some of the famous dogs that have appeared in film? And let's not forget about poo. This book is a fun romp through what dogs do or ...more
SmarterLilac
Cute. Will teach your dog fun things like how to beg most effectively, whether or not to eat other dogs' poop and where human beings go for 8-12 hours a day 9-5 ('Your owner is at work, which is kind of like a kennel for humans. More than likely, he is sitting in a small cube-shaped space...talking to his 'boss,' or Alpha, being generally submissive, and thinking about how badly he wants to go home.') Other tips include how to pick pills out of peanut butter balls and how to wriggle out of degra ...more
Alpha
This funny, new book is about what you shuold eat, chase and how to do things plus many more.
It shows everything from the dogs point of veiw, and it works well. Joe garden has done a great job on this book, and once you start you can't stop.

I think this is a great book for dog lovers, dog owners, and anyone else!
It made me laugh and smile, and I reccomend it to anyone. If you want to read it, get it from a library or bookstore. Everyone should read a book like this!
Jan
Feb 04, 2008 Jan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jan by: Kathy
Shelves: humor, dog-books
Received this book for Christmas from a fellow dog lover and yes, it's funny but not side-splitting. I own a blue heeler/aussie cross and he's smart enough to have been interviewed for this book so I guess if you look at it with a particular dog in mind, it's cute. My favorite parts are the section on squirrels, getting a pill out of peanut butter and making toys out of household items, all three of which Cooper could have written.
Kate
A wonderfully funny dog's point of view of the world. Anyone who has spent time with a dog will find the book spot on. Personal favorite chapter is the one about cats -- very fussy and sneaky creatures. What is wrong with them that they don't want a dog three times their size shoving his nose in their face? Anyway, The Dangerous Book For Dogs shows us what rich and curious lives dogs have.
DeAnna
Jan 11, 2008 DeAnna rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wouldn't really
Wow, a bunch of people seem to think this book is great and funny. Well, it is kinda funny just because dogs are funny. It is really just silly more than anything. I have laughed a few times, but most of it is actually a little boring. Maybe it is funnier for people who don't have dogs?

I wouldn't really recommend this, but there is nothing that I really hate about it either.
Mary (BookHounds)
A perfect read for the dog days of summer. Let Sparky and Rex teach you all of the proper methods for begging, digging and barking. I think most dogs have already read this book and someone took notes to let the others know what they are missing. The section on squirrels is probably one of the funniest things I have ever read. A very enjoyable treat for all dog lovers.
Mandy
Just to reitterate what other reviewers have said - if you love dogs this will resonate with you and have you laughing. Not heavy reading, a lot of fun, and very very humourous!
This was a gift from one of my friends, we both own dogs, so we see the funny side in all the chapters. The book simply looks at a what it is to be a dog dealing with humans. Highly recommended
Sara Polk
A nice light book. Perfect for a dog lover as a coffee table book.
Emily
What a great book! Dog lovers of all ages MUST read this book! It makes sense now why our adorable puppies do what they do! Especially funny since it is written from the dog's perspective. If only our dogs could speak! Then I could've enjoyed this book with my little one! But I would probably skip over parts, like how to skip a bath!
Melissa
A must read if you're a "dog person". You'll definitely recognize your dog's antics in there. There were quite a few times when I laughed out loud, but I was amused through most of it. I read it in two short sittings, but I'd recommend spacing it out a little more -it's funnier in small doses than all at once.
Sandra
I totally came across this by accident, and it was fantastic. I laughed the entire time, and I think there are quite a couple of things in there that are supposed to make owners think, and think again (even though they're well masked). An easy read and a funny little book. Totally enjoyed it.
Jillian
Sep 08, 2008 Jillian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who liked The Dangerous Book for Boys or owns dogs
Shelves: dogs, humor
Yeah-I wouldn't say this is a "laugh out loud" book or anything, but it's cute. People who liked The Dangerous Book for Boys or The Daring Book for Girls will like this if they like dogs. My favorite chapter was How to Escape Humiliating Costumes since I put my dogs in them regularly.
Janet
Not having read the two books mentioned above, I have no idea whether this was a clever parody or a stupid parody of The Dangerous Book for Boys and The Daring Book for Girls. The little sketches of dogs performing some of the ideas listed are pretty cute.
Lauren
This is a very funny parody of the Dangerous Book for Boys (and the Daring Book for Girls). It won't give you many insights into the canine psyche, but it will help you pass the time, and the short chapters make it a perfect bathroom book.
Cheryln Kurz
This book is hysterical! It's written from a dog's point of view, so if you have a dog, you will never look at him/her the same way again. Great book for dog owner's and dog lovers. Just keep away from cats. They shouldn't know any doggie secrets ;)
Di
May 19, 2008 Di rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers
A fun parody of the Dangerous Book for Boys and the Daring Book for Girls (neither of which I have read). It's great for flipping through and reading a section or two at a time. I found reading several sections in one sitting a bit tedious.
Joanne
Jul 13, 2008 Joanne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love dogs
Recommended to Joanne by: amazon
I ordered this based on some sample pages from amazon. It is really funny and smart, not just a thrown-together parody, and upon finishing the book I noted that its human writers are affiliated with The Onion. So how can you go wrong?
Jessica
I laugh myself silly every single time I read this. Yes, it's silly and kind of sappy at points and it's a parody about dogs, but I love it. Probably because I'm a dog person. Maybe you shouldn't trust my review after all.
  • The Devious Book for Cats: A Parody
  • It's Me or the Dog: How to Have the Perfect Pet
  • Bad Dogs Have More Fun: Selected Writings on Family, Animals, and Life from The Philadelphia Inquirer
  • The New Work of Dogs: Tending to Life, Love, and Family
  • Dog Shaming
  • The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Fantasy
  • The Double-Daring Book for Girls
  • How Dogs Think: What the World Looks Like to Them and Why They Act the Way They Do
  • Walking Ollie
  • F U, Penguin: Telling Cute Animals What's What
  • A Prince Among Dogs: and Other Stories of the Dogs We Love
  • How to Raise a Jewish Dog
  • Ivan the Terrier
  • Celtic Lore & Spellcraft of the Dark Goddess: Invoking the Morrigan
  • How to Live with a Neurotic Dog
  • 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog
  • Teens Cook: How to Cook What You Want to Eat
  • How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves

“How do you know your peanut butter has a pill inside of it? Take this simple test. Is your owner giving you peanut butter? If the answer is yes then the chances are are good that there is a pill in it.” 4 likes