Start by marking “Thicker Than Water (Mordecai Young, #1)” as Want to Read:
Thicker Than Water (Mordecai Young, #1)

Thicker Than Water (Mordecai Young #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,152 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews

Syracuse news anchor Julie Jones is afraid. Her long-dead past was resurrected when a blackmailer threatened to expose secrets that could destroy her. Then the man was found dead - his throat cut with a knife from Julie's
Published November 1st 2003 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about Thicker Than Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thicker Than Water

Rashika (is tired)
It's only getting a 3 because the author actually did a great job with the romance. Other than that some of the things that happened were just unrealistic.

(view spoiler)
Megan
3 stars.

Book 1 in the Mordecai Young trilogy.

16 years ago a “religious” compound for runaway teens was raided by the FBI. The handful of survivors thought it was all over and that they could put the madness behind them… especially the leader who thought he was a profit for God… Mordecai Young.

Julie Jones is a news anchor in Syracuse. Julie has a secret past that she is trying to keep hidden. Not only to protect herself, but her teenage daughter, Dawn. Luckily for Julie she has an unconventiona
Debbie
Oct 18, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie is hard working news anchorwoman and a single mom, Sean is a crack investigative reporter who always tries to out scoop Julie. After running into each other at an ugly murder scene, these two rivals end up as unlikely partners.

This was the first Maggie Shayne book that I have read. I felt that there was a few times that a thesaurs could have been used better than it was but this book was very interesting. The suspense was there, a few suprises along the way, and the descriptions were vivid
Terri
Julie Jones' past escape from a cult comes back to haunt her present and threaten her and her daughter Dawn's lives. Her rival and news partner, Sean helps as things escalate out of control. This book took me FROEVER to read. Had good elements but was so predictable and slow I just struggled.
Bea
Mar 20, 2013 Bea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely like this book. This is one of the few from the genre Romantic Thriller, and I was NOT disappointed!

The beginning was not very credible, but you could actually be aware of the dangers they were in.The verbal sparring between Julie Jones and Sean MacKenzie, and their obvious sexual tension, provides light relief from the more serious aspects of the novel. Speaking of which, the originality of the cult storyline is really good! That was one of the most original plots I have encounter
Christine
Mar 10, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a page turner.

Basically: Jewel escaped a cultist's compound at the age of 17 with her best friend's baby and a few bags full of money. She thought everyone else, including her best friend and the cult leader, died that day. But sixteen years later, her past catches up with her when a man blackmails her -- and then ends up dead. At first, she's afraid the police will think she's the murderer, but as time goes on, she learns she has much more to fear.

The book was a little predictable at
jenjn79
Neely Swob ursery
Nov 23, 2013 Neely Swob ursery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my God! If they licked their lips or said God one more time I was going to burn the book! Great writing except for those two things.
Jess
I read this for a book club, I've been meaning to read something by Shayne and this gave me a great opportunity to do so. I ended up enjoying this book and I'm not sure if it's a series, but it felt like the last few pages left the story open ended. Maybe the author did continue, or was planning on doing so.

The two main characters of the book are Julie Jones and Sean MacKenzie. They are both polar opposites, in their careers and in their temperaments so when they team up to help Julie and her da
Louise
Extremely suspenseful, thrilling, exciting, riveting - a real page turner!! I'm heading off to the bookstore to grab some more of this author's novels!!

From back cover:

"It was called a haven for runaway teens. In truth, it was a nightmare, one that ended in fiery violence sixteen years ago. Or so its survivors believed...

Heather  *got a job*
Aug 03, 2013 Heather *got a job* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, romance
At first I wasn't sure what to make of the book. It started out with some intense crazy stuff going on that had me going. ..What??? But after that we fastforward to the future where Julie Jones formerly known as Jewel is being blackmailed. Suprise her blackmailer ends up dead and she is being framed for his murder. I'm not spoiling anything cuz all this takes place withing the first couple pages or chapters, went by fast.

Ok so now the action, suspense and you guessed it secrets start spilling.
Book_recs4u
Jul 06, 2014 Book_recs4u rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, thriller
I was hooked from the very first page of this thrilling romance! I read the entire book in one day because I couldn't wait to see what happened. Although some of the details are a bit far fetched(which is the reason I gave it 4 out of 5 stars), I thoroughly enjoyed the story anyway. I had no idea when I first read the book that it was the first of 3 in the series, so I was frustrated with the loose ends at the conclusion of the book. I look forward to the next book "Colder Than Ice" in the serie ...more
Mar
Jul 20, 2015 Mar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminded me of David Koresh and Waco. Picks up with the raid and burning of a "cult" location. Everyone is presumed to die in the raid, but burnings make identifying bodies tricky. 17 years later, it appears some may have survived...I liked the repartee between the romantic leads. Book is a decent thriller, but I don't need to read the other 2 in the series.
Olimpia
Dec 10, 2013 Olimpia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thicker Than Water is another well-written and enjoyable novel by Maggie Shayne.

It’s a story about a man who thinks he’s the next Messiah and manipulates young runaways with lies and false promises of peace into a life of slavery. The government finally shuts him down but the deadly battle destroys everything including the young girls. One girl, Jewel, escapes taking with her, her best friend’s child, Dawn. Years later, someone appears to threaten the peace and life of Jewel (aka Julie) and Daw
Wyldchild
Jun 09, 2014 Wyldchild rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that this was a well thought out novel.I loved the fact of the mystery connection of two of the characters until the utmost end. It was a good read and very satisfying. A rainy day kind of book and also a quiet Friday evening with a glass of wine read
teresa
Sep 08, 2014 teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put down

I am new to these books, found them looking for something else, glad I didn't pass them over. waiting for the new one.
Halie
Jan 20, 2015 Halie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. very interesting. makes you wonder and think whats going to happen next. I love your books.
Tabatha Wilson
Mar 26, 2014 Tabatha Wilson rated it it was amazing
THis is the book that got me back into reading again.
Rhapsody
Dec 09, 2015 Rhapsody rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fiction
I read this one long before I really started reading romance, so it just didn't click with me. I like romance novels that have the two protagonists thrown together almost from the start. Here, it was a while before they were interacting (as I recall), and also, I didn't quite like their chemistry. While I like some antagonism between the romantic leads, I felt that in this story, their rivalry and hostility sort of was fueling their romance in some weird way. I'm not into that kind of competitiv ...more
Brittany
Jan 17, 2014 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of the first books with a hint of supernatural to it that I read, when in reality it was just a sociopath trying to control people.
Paula
Jan 26, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleasantly surprised to find that this was a really good read. I kept telling myself - "just one more page"- :). Gets the Paula All Thumbs Up approval rating!!!! Recommended-think you will like it.
Rosslynn Carpenter
A little slow, but very good. Its a series that will keep you reading until the end. I'm getting ready to read book 2 in the series, and can't wait to read about Lizzie and her story.
Mandy
Jun 10, 2011 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I’ve read by Shayne. I think she writes well. The plot, while not completely believable, kept the suspense going throughout the book. Some of the twists were predictable, but a couple weren’t quite what I expected. I liked the interaction between Julie and Sean. Overall, it was a good read for a book I randomly picked up.
Jillian
Aug 03, 2011 Jillian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tense love / hate relationship, a cult, a crazy madman, a murder and frame job all in one book. New Reporter Julie Jones formerly Jewel was part of a cult called Young Believers long ago. Her sassy interactions with Sean made me giggle. There a few twists near the end (one of which I didn't see coming) that will knock your socks off.
Andrea
Jan 18, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awsome is the one word I have to use on this one. It was so well written it drew me into the story completely as if I was living it. The cult aspect was a fantastic twist along the with danger posed. When I finished this book I was completely creeped out and spellbound. I can't wait to read the next one.
Deidre
I got this book because I read one of her short stories and really liked it. Apparently that was one of her more recent stories, because I could not read more than 50 pages in this. It became obvious what would happen next. I felt like I had read this 50 times. Just gave up.
Debi
I really enjoyed this book..smiles. Can't wait to read the next in the series and see how nuts Mordecai is going to get!! I loved the characters in this book Julie, Sean and Dawn..but most of all I loved Rodney thought he was a great addition to the story.. :D!!
Robin
Jun 06, 2011 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robin by: a reading club
Good suspense novel. While I didn't completly solve it before details were released, I was on to some of the details ahead of time, like figured out that there was something special about the teacher. I would read one of her books again.
Misty Childs
Jan 04, 2011 Misty Childs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually tend to read non fiction so I was kind of leaning against this book. But I thought I would try something new and sure enough I got lost in this book. Maggie Shayne is an incredible author and I cant put her books down.
  • Storm Warning
  • Strangers In The Night (includes Beyond Twilight - Wings in the Night, #4)
  • Out of the Dark
  • A Time To Die (The Protectors, #29)
  • Missing
  • The Widow (Boston Police/FBI, #1)
  • Traceless (Less Series, #1)
  • Cypress Nights
  • Inside a U.S. Embassy: How the Foreign Service Works for America
  • Midnight Rain
  • Straying From the Path
  • Immortal Sins
  • Sleeping With the Agent (Crossfire, #3)
  • Picture Me Dead
  • Scent of Danger
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's
I live in the teeny, tiny town of Taylor, NY, (Alliteration Alert!) though my mailing address is Cincinnatus, my telephone exchange is Truxton and I pay taxes and vote in Cuyler. All of these are at least in the same rural county in the southern hills of New York State; Cortland County. There are more cattle than people here. The nearest “big” cities are Syracuse and Binghamton and they are an hou ...more
More about Maggie Shayne...

Mordecai Young (3 books)
  • Colder than Ice (Mordecai Young, #2)
  • Darker than Midnight (Mordecai Young #3)

“You've felt guilty ever since, haven't you? That's why you're such a rogue reporter, with your exposés and your inside dirt. It's all backlash."
"You see right through me, Jones. I'm just a tortured soul, in search of redemption. So you wanna have sex with me now?"
The look on her face went from one of sympathetic understanding to one of disgust faster than his Porsche could go from zero to sixty.
"You are such an asshole."
"Ah, come on. I'm sure with the love of a good woman I could be whole again."
"Go to hell, MacKenzie."
"Been there. They threw me out 'cause I made the devil look good.”
5 likes