If I Ran the Rain Forest: All About Tropical Rain Forests (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)

If I Ran the Rain Forest: All About Tropical Rain Forests (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The Cat in the Hat takes Sally and Dick for an “umbrella-vator” ride through the understory, canopy, and emergent layers of a tropical rain forest, encountering a host of plants, animals, and native peoples along the way.
Published April 22nd 2003 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about If I Ran the Rain Forest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Ran the Rain Forest

Lindsey
If I ran the rainforest by Bonnie Worth and illustrated by Aristides Ruiz is a piece of The Cat in the Hat’s Learning Library that introduces beginning readers to basic non-fiction with the famous Dr. Seuss character, Cat in the Hat. This is a rhyming piece of poetry that reflects aspects of the rainforest. Children are interested in fun texts that get them engaged. Through an adventure of rhyming, children will read about a story placed in the rainforest near the equator with different kinds of...more
Emily Warner
In this story, the cat in the hat explains all of the different aspects of the rainforest. I think younger students would be drawn to this book because they will recognize the cat in the hat and the familiar rhyming patterns. This book contains a wealth of information about climate, the layers of the rainforest, and animals.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
See my review of There's No Place Like Space All About Our Solar System for my general comments on "The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library" series.

I wasn't as impressed with this book as ...Space... It started off on the wrong foot with me on Page 2 - with a map of the Amazon rainforest representing all rainforests. Surely a world map with all the rainforests of the world highlighted would have been better. Secondly book concentrates only on tropical rainforests - which is does state, but it then...more
Dolly
Nov 19, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A lyrical look at the rain forests of the world, especially the Amazon in South America. It's a short, but informative look at the various levels of the rain forest, from the emergents, to the canopy, to the understory, and finally to the forest floor. The book depicts the conditions of life there and various animals that can be found. It's a fun book to read aloud, although we were quite disappointed that our copy was missing four pages at the end - most of the section about trying to preserve...more
Luana
I think that this book would be ideal to use to teach in 1st-5th grade. I would use it to teach ecosystems. One of the ecosystems is a rain forest. This book has great illustrations and provides plenty of great facts that are true to a rain forest. This book would definitely be used for students a resource. If I were to use it, I would use it during the Explain portion of a 5E lesson plan. It introduces vocabulary and detailed information about rain forests.
Katy Houseman
The Cat in the Hat explores the rainforest with some of his friends. They learn about the water cycle, the floors of the rainforest, and how to protect it. This book would be a great pick when teaching about the water cycle or the rainforest.
Rachel
This informational picture book takes it reader on a journey through a tropical rainforest. It uses the Cat in the Hat Characters, but only uses the rhyming nature of the book, and not the actual story line.
Stephanie Watson
This Dr. Seuss book is about Cat in the Hat taking Susie and Dick through the different levels of the Rain Forest. It talks about the environment of each one, and about what animals live in each level.
Chad
This is a very good Cat in the Hat book. A little more difficult than the original Cat in the Hat, but a great book for kids to learn about the Tropical Rain Forests.
Molly Darr
Apr 11, 2011 Molly Darr added it
Shelves: science
The Cat and the Hat adventure throught the rainforest. Throughout the book they teach you about all the layers of the rainforest.
Shawna Vanhoorik
Good book for rhyming and it teaches a moral at the end. Good illustrations throughout. Suggested for ages 5 and up.
Rachel
Oct 28, 2010 Rachel added it
Shelves: science, dr-suess
About where the rain forest is located, the different layers, the animals, and about saving the trees.
Jennie Smith
Such a great resource for ecosystems! Science teacher should all have this one!!
Traci
Jun 07, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Jessica Hill
Jessica Hill marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Caroline Nelson
Caroline Nelson marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Anya
Anya added it
Aug 01, 2014
Stephanie Kligge
Stephanie Kligge marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
BONNIE WORTH is the author of countless books for young readers, among them the Cat in the Hat Learning Library books If I Ran the Rain Forest, HarK! A Shark!, Oh Say Can You Seed? (winner of the 2003 Ohio Farm Bureau Award), Wish for a Fish, Oh Say Can You Say Di-No-Saur?, Would You Rather Be a Pollywog?, Ice Is Nice!, and Safari, So Good!

More about Bonnie Worth...
Oh say can you say di-no-saur? Wish for a Fish: All About Sea Creatures The Cat in the Hat the Movie!: Cooking with the Cat Oh Say Can You Seed?: All About Flowering Plants A Whale of a Tale!: All About Porpoises, Dolphins, and Whales