Start by marking “Irish Thunder: The Hard Life and Times of Micky Ward” as Want to Read:
Irish Thunder: The Hard Life and Times of Micky Ward

Irish Thunder: The Hard Life and Times of Micky Ward

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  217 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Box-office sensations Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale star in The Fighter, in theaters December 10, 2010, and Irish Thunder is the story behind the film, the story of ''Irish'' Micky Ward's unlikely road to the world light welterweight title.

Welcome to Lowell, Massachusetts -- where anything can happen.

Rocky Marciano fought at the Auditorium in 1947. Mike Tyson fought t
Published November 1st 2007 by The Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about Irish Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irish Thunder

Wayne Fitzpatrick
Jan 04, 2012 Wayne Fitzpatrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports, memoir
If you live anywhere in the New England area you have at least heard of "Irish" Micky Ward. Either that, or you saw his brother - Dickie Ecklund - in a not so glamorous documentary about the drug trade in his hometown Lowell, MA (High On Crack Street). Or, you heard of his hard luck boxing career. But, such is the story of Micky Ward. Nothing ever came easy for Micky.

Ward is a true to life Rocky Balboa, minus the over the cheesy one liners and alcohol-raddled brother-in-law (well, there was his
P.J.
May 14, 2011 P.J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to give this four stars because of the topic and my interest in it. In reality, if it was allowable, I'd probably give it a 3.5.

If you've read a police report or a crime novel, then picture that style telling the story of Micky Ward, one of the most amazing stories in boxing. The story is decent and it kept me interested. Yet, it lacked something. It's hard for me to put a finger on what exactly. But as much as I wanted to love this book, I couldn't. I did, however, like it a real lot
Steve Rabideau
Jun 27, 2015 Steve Rabideau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. How can you not love a story about a hard luck guy who fought an uphill battle for everything he had, despite all the odds against him and even his family making it hard for him, and still come out on top? The Fighter was great, but as you would expect it takes a few liberties and adjusts some of the facts, as well as timeline of events to make it compelling in the form or a 2 hour movie. But this book details Micky's tough rise, fall and eventual rise again including all the g ...more
Sam
Mar 20, 2014 Sam rated it really liked it
Living in the town that he grew up in and seeing him and Dicky about Town is kind of Funny. I actually liked this book, Even my boyfriend who doesnt normally read got through the book as well.
Jake Slinker
Oct 10, 2012 Jake Slinker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book about a boxer with much talent. But his family slowed him down an prevented him to reach his full potential. Once he was out of his prime he still kept boxing because he loved it. Although he took a break, he had to come back to the sport. He finally dropped his family and started a career where he demolished people, even at his old age, he still one championships
Angela
Jul 24, 2008 Angela rated it liked it
this book isn't so much about micky ward's *life* as it is about his boxing career. the chronology is tricky to follow, and the names are equally difficult to sort out if one isn't already familiar with ward's story. however, the fight descriptions are riveting and if you like boxing and/or underdog sports stories, you'll probably enjoy this book.
Robert
Dec 04, 2009 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: bio
I'm a huge Micky Ward fan - he grew up in a pretty trashy environment and rose above it to become a champion. He embodied some of the best aspects of boxing. Looking forward to the movie coming out about his life.

The writing style in this book is pretty halting and unpolished but it's not really about that for me (or other Ward fans).
Brian Bradbury
Feb 16, 2009 Brian Bradbury rated it liked it
Easy read, if you knew the story (basically) by living and following Mickey's career. Living in the area helps too. Wasn't written well though as it bounced all over the place, mentioning the same 'things' in several different places. just wasn't smooth is spots but overall still fun to get more of a back-room look.
Sue
Jan 19, 2014 Sue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was more interested in this book because I am from Lowell and know some of the people mentioned in the book. Not a fan of boxing, so I suffered through the long descriptions of boxing matches and preparation. I don't think I would have enjoyed this book as much as I did if I weren't from his hometown.
Brian
Nov 26, 2013 Brian rated it really liked it
Very good book. Did a great job of telling the inspiring tale of Micky, without getting bogged down in stats or boxing jargon. For those of you who have seen the movie The Fighter, still worth the read to get the full story, and to see just what a sleazeball Dicky Ecklund could be.
Shawn
Sep 14, 2011 Shawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit I have some bias as I've been a boxing fan for 35 years and a Micky Ward fan for about 10.
But I did thoroughly enjoy this book. And what normally would have taken me a couple weeks to read a typical book of this size I was able to polish off in 3-4 days.
Christopher Rolley

I picked this up on a whim after I saw the fighter, I just couldn't put it down I had to know what would happen to Ward. If you like boxing or just the fighter then give it a go I'm sure you will not be disappointed . Give it a try :)
Cameron
Not the most amazing writing, but the story speaks for itself. Not a huge boxing fan, but it held my attention and had made me more interested in the sport. A light and easy read.
Stephanie
Apr 06, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Lots more detail about the managing, promoting, training, and especially the boxing etc.than they were able to show in the movie. Great description of old style big-hearted sluggers.
Navajojim
Feb 06, 2012 Navajojim rated it it was amazing
Micky Ward is a bad ass. Amazing story of how someone could climb out of that hole. Writer did a great job recounting his fights. It was an awesome book.
Major Doug
Jul 12, 2013 Major Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this book: good story of tough kid who had a lot going against it & almost made it to the top.
Betsy
I gave this book 50 pages and quit. Great story, fantastic movie, just not a well-written book.
Chamie
Chris Johnson
Mar 10, 2012 Chris Johnson rated it really liked it
good read
Skronk
Skronk marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Erik Luxton
Erik Luxton marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Jonathan Jones
Jonathan Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Sunny
Sunny is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2016
George Fielder
George Fielder rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Amy Bisson
Amy Bisson rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2016
Matthew
Matthew is currently reading it
Mar 27, 2016
Hunter
Hunter rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Hands of Stone: The Life and Legend of Roberto Duran
  • Floodtide
  • SEAL Team Six Outcasts (SEAL Team Six Outcasts, #1)
  • Four Kings: Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran and the Last Great Era of Boxing
  • Sweet Thunder: The Life and Times of Sugar Ray Robinson
  • Still Changing Lives Everyday: Tuesdays With Morrie 10th Anniversary Foreword
  • Autobiography of Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley, The  (MAXNotes Literature Guides)
  • You Cannot Be Serious
  • Stalin Ate My Homework
  • Klee Wyck
  • Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson
  • Hatred in the Ashes (Ashes, #27)
  • The Good Son: The Life of Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini