Start by marking “Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories

Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  328 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Seven experiences in audio terror are brought to life in seven stories from the 1998 World Fantasy Award and Bram Stoker Award-winning author P.D. Cacek.
Audio, Abridged, 0 pages
Published December 1st 1991 by Wyrmhole Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Even the Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Even the Queen

Stephen
2.5 stars. Connie Willis is an excellent writer and her stories are original and well plotted. I think the reason that I do not rate them higher is that I am a big fan of "emotionally" powerful stories (a few examples of these would be "Hell is the Absense of God" by Ted Chiang, "Lost Boys" by Orson Scott Card and "The Star" by Arthur C. Clarke) and Willis' don't generally have that "startling" aspect to them that makes you think about them long after you are done reading them. Therefore, I thin ...more
Laura de Leon
Jan 06, 2011 Laura de Leon rated it really liked it
Somewhat uneven, but overall I enjoyed these stories. All of them were funny and thought provoking.

"Even the Queen" was best the first time I read it, but I still enjoyed it this time through. Even when technology solves a major problem, someone is going to rebel. It'll probably be teenage girls, and it will all be their mother's fault.

"At the Rialto" is a chaotic look at a gathering of scientists interested in Quantum Physics. This one shows off Willis's madcap side. If you enjoyed Willis's Bel
Nancy
Dec 09, 2010 Nancy rated it it was amazing
"Even the Queen" is absolutely brilliant. I was present in the hall when Connie Willis accepted the Hugo for this wonderful short story and her speech was classic. (I don't want to quote her because it might spoil the story for those who haven't read it.)

Her writing is effortless, realistic, exquisitely detailed without talking down to the reader, and just plain brilliant.

And to make it even better, she's a delightful and approachable author. It's a win-win for her fans!
Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann
Even the Queen: ****

At the Rialto: *****

Death on the Nile: *****

Close Encounter: ****

Why the World Didn't End Last Tuesday: ****

All and all, they were all enjoyable short stories. I listened to these stories as I did some house cleaning. There were a few times that I had to rewind it a little bit and pay closer attention to what was going on, but in general I could just let it roll.
Natalie Thaddeus
I didn't finish it. The narrator was too grating and the second story was confusing. Maybe it was just me, but the author was making jokes that either weren't funny or again, didn't make any sense in the context. I returned the book.
Debra
Jan 18, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it
Anthologies are, by definition, a mixed bag. Some stories/poems are great, others not so much.

The title story Even the Queen is wonderful. Discussing feminism by using humor works.

The other stories, well, not bad but definitely a step down. Which is still a higher level than those written by mere mortals not named Connie Willis.

I usually avoid audiobooks read by the author because too many people just can't get the fine points down. Ms Willis is not bad, but not professional level either.
Joe
Sep 03, 2013 Joe rated it it was ok
As another reviewer as said, all anthologies have their high points and low points. For me, the high point of this collection was 'Death on the Nile'; the rest of the set was a low point. Perhaps if I were female I would relate better to a story such as 'Even the Queen' better if I were female, but I am not. 'At the Rialto' felt laboured, and the less said about the rest, the better - I think my point has been made already.
Cheryl
Most of the stories were okay, but I did enjoy one in particular about the planning committee for the apocalypse. You'll just have to check it out. Even the Queen, being the title piece, was of course quite clever.

I recommend actually reading these stories. The author is by no means a professional reader, so the performance has a lot to do with the two-star rating. If I had read these on paper, it might have been three.
allison
Jan 05, 2011 allison rated it liked it
Recommended to allison by: Mohammed Coovadia
Got a chance to read the short story "even the queen" today and loved it. The entire time I was wishing i could see it on stage. The dialogue was wondful and it was wonderful to see all the family dynamics play out. It's a great story!
Libby
Apr 20, 2010 Libby rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Libby by: I love Connie Willis
The title of this book is just one of Connie Willis' short stories. It is hilarious and caused me to laugh so much my two cats left the room. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants a good laugh.
Kari
Oct 16, 2010 Kari rated it really liked it
Even the Queen is a GREAT story!
Rebecca
Jul 18, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Great!
Darron Moore
Darron Moore rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Christian
Christian marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Daniel Caicedo
Daniel Caicedo marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Terry Shapiro
Terry Shapiro marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Psychofatty
Psychofatty marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Philip Chase
Philip Chase marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Bronwen
Bronwen rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Christopher H Hyde
Christopher H Hyde marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Ralph Kelleners
Ralph Kelleners marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Farzana
Farzana rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Diane Ball
Diane Ball marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
ScoLgo
ScoLgo marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Kendra
Kendra rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Lisa Curley
Lisa Curley marked it as to-read
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Carbonel
Carbonel rated it really liked it
  • Dick: Five Novels of the 1960s and 70s
  • Press Enter
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • Sailing to Byzantium
  • Christmas in the Trenches
  • The Unveiling
  • The Traveler
  • The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • Bears Discover Fire and Other Stories
  • The Terminal Experiment
  • The Snows of Kilimanjaro/The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
Constance Elaine Trimmer Willis is an American science fiction writer. She is one of the most honored science fiction writers of the 1980s and 1990s.

She has won, among other awards, ten Hugo Awards and six Nebula Awards. Willis most recently won a Hugo Award for All Seated on the Ground (August 2008). She was the 2011 recipient of the Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award from the Science Ficti
More about Connie Willis...

“There are some things worth giving up anything for, even your freedom, and getting rid of your period is definitely one of them.” 22 likes