Start by marking “Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories

Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  299 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Seven experiences in audio terror are brought to life in seven stories from the 1998 World Fantasy Award and Bram Stoker Award-winning author P.D. Cacek.
Audio, Abridged, 0 pages
Published December 1st 1991 by Wyrmhole Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Even the Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Even the Queen

Stephen
2.5 stars. Connie Willis is an excellent writer and her stories are original and well plotted. I think the reason that I do not rate them higher is that I am a big fan of "emotionally" powerful stories (a few examples of these would be "Hell is the Absense of God" by Ted Chiang, "Lost Boys" by Orson Scott Card and "The Star" by Arthur C. Clarke) and Willis' don't generally have that "startling" aspect to them that makes you think about them long after you are done reading them. Therefore, I thin ...more
Laura de Leon
Somewhat uneven, but overall I enjoyed these stories. All of them were funny and thought provoking.

"Even the Queen" was best the first time I read it, but I still enjoyed it this time through. Even when technology solves a major problem, someone is going to rebel. It'll probably be teenage girls, and it will all be their mother's fault.

"At the Rialto" is a chaotic look at a gathering of scientists interested in Quantum Physics. This one shows off Willis's madcap side. If you enjoyed Willis's Bel
Nancy
"Even the Queen" is absolutely brilliant. I was present in the hall when Connie Willis accepted the Hugo for this wonderful short story and her speech was classic. (I don't want to quote her because it might spoil the story for those who haven't read it.)

Her writing is effortless, realistic, exquisitely detailed without talking down to the reader, and just plain brilliant.

And to make it even better, she's a delightful and approachable author. It's a win-win for her fans!
Erich Franz Guzmann
Even the Queen: ****

At the Rialto: *****

Death on the Nile: *****

Close Encounter: ****

Why the World Didn't End Last Tuesday: ****

All and all, they were all enjoyable short stories. I listened to these stories as I did some house cleaning. There were a few times that I had to rewind it a little bit and pay closer attention to what was going on, but in general I could just let it roll.
Debra
Anthologies are, by definition, a mixed bag. Some stories/poems are great, others not so much.

The title story Even the Queen is wonderful. Discussing feminism by using humor works.

The other stories, well, not bad but definitely a step down. Which is still a higher level than those written by mere mortals not named Connie Willis.

I usually avoid audiobooks read by the author because too many people just can't get the fine points down. Ms Willis is not bad, but not professional level either.
Joe
As another reviewer as said, all anthologies have their high points and low points. For me, the high point of this collection was 'Death on the Nile'; the rest of the set was a low point. Perhaps if I were female I would relate better to a story such as 'Even the Queen' better if I were female, but I am not. 'At the Rialto' felt laboured, and the less said about the rest, the better - I think my point has been made already.
Cheryl
Most of the stories were okay, but I did enjoy one in particular about the planning committee for the apocalypse. You'll just have to check it out. Even the Queen, being the title piece, was of course quite clever.

I recommend actually reading these stories. The author is by no means a professional reader, so the performance has a lot to do with the two-star rating. If I had read these on paper, it might have been three.
allison
Jan 05, 2011 allison rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to allison by: Mohammed Coovadia
Got a chance to read the short story "even the queen" today and loved it. The entire time I was wishing i could see it on stage. The dialogue was wondful and it was wonderful to see all the family dynamics play out. It's a great story!
Libby
Apr 20, 2010 Libby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Libby by: I love Connie Willis
The title of this book is just one of Connie Willis' short stories. It is hilarious and caused me to laugh so much my two cats left the room. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants a good laugh.
Kari
Even the Queen is a GREAT story!
Rebecca
Great!
Olivia Johnson
Olivia Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Calista
Calista marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Mickey Moo
Mickey Moo marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Barry Myers
Barry Myers marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Keukadp
Keukadp marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
christina smith
christina smith marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Pat Elvidge
Pat Elvidge marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Debs
Debs marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
  • Dick: Five Novels of the 1960s and 70s
  • Press Enter
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • Christmas in the Trenches
  • Sailing to Byzantium
  • The Unveiling
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate
  • The Traveler
  • The Moon and the Sun
  • Bears Discover Fire and Other Stories
  • The Terminal Experiment
  • The Elephant Vanishes: Free Short Story
Constance Elaine Trimmer Willis is an American science fiction writer. She is one of the most honored science fiction writers of the 1980s and 1990s.

She has won, among other awards, ten Hugo Awards and six Nebula Awards. Willis most recently won a Hugo Award for All Seated on the Ground (August 2008). She was the 2011 recipient of the Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award from the Science Ficti
More about Connie Willis...
Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel, #1) To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2) Blackout (Oxford Time Travel, #3) All Clear (Oxford Time Travel, #4) Bellwether

“There are some things worth giving up anything for, even your freedom, and getting rid of your period is definitely one of them.” 19 likes