Start by marking “The Bible Repairman” as Want to Read:
The Bible Repairman

The Bible Repairman

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A new short story chapbook published as a signed limited edition.
Published January 31st 2006 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about The Bible Repairman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bible Repairman

Aramys
Powers me ha seducido totalmente, quería empezar a leerlo por estos relatos, para ver que tal, y desde luego el tío ha aprobado con nota. Los cuatro relatos me han gustado mucho, la inmensa imaginación que desbordan, lo bien escritos que están. Solo el primero se me ha hecho un pelín confuso por algunas imágenes y algunos ´saltos´, pero el resto me han gustado muchísimo, muy buenos relatos. Magnífico y tierno Un alma embotellada y gamberro y genial Un camino de bajada. El último un pelín más lar ...more
Mei
I liked these. Most importantly, well written, these were interesting little stories with a touch of the supernatural and he manages to convey a lot with economy of words. I haven't read any Tim Powers for years (since The Drawing of The Dark and The Anubis Gates) so I'm glad I picked this one up. I have to confess that the Trelawney novella was my least favourite of the stories in here as I found it a little too disjointed. I don't quite remember his other works (it's been too long) but i suspe ...more
Alexander Páez
Sin duda lo merece, cuatro relatos que me han hecho disfrutar muchísimo, que se leen rápido y sobretodo que rebosan talento y originalidad.

Si todavía no lo habéis hecho,leedlo, vale mucho la pena.
Javi Lara
Los dos primeros cuentos son geniales.
Michael Pryor
Everyday strangeness. The mysteries under the mundane. Ghosts, unexpected.
Chuck Lawson
A novel's worth of Tim Powers weirdness in convenient short-story form.
Laurie
This slim volume contains six of Powers short stories, all of which have been published before. I picked it up because I thought Powers was a steampunk author (based on Anubis Gates) and discovered that steampunk is just a small part of his writing.

In this book we have a story about kidnapped ghosts; one about how a being that moves in five dimensions wrecks things when it moves around on earth; one where a twin sister hopes to run things from the grave; a tale of a funeral with cats attending;
Mss Black (Smoke)
Me han gustado bastante los relatos aunque el último se me ha quedado corto. La idea me encantaba pero me da la sensación de que estaba muy forzado para entrar en tan pocas páginas.

De los otros tres el primero es el que menos me ha gustado aunque probablemente porque lo leí en el trabajo y era un poco dificil seguir el hilo a tanto viaje temporal.
Stephen Dorneman
First off, my bias -- I'd probably give Tim Powers's grocery list at least three stars, as I'm a big fan of his writings. If you've read and enjoyed THE STRESS OF HER REGARD, you will definitely enjoy this book, with the only disappointment being its slender length - at 170 pages, it's barely a tease for Powers's novels. The short stories included here are wonderful, but the longest section of the book is more-or-less a sequel to THE STRESS OF HER REGARD, and I recommend reading that first.
Hendel

My only complaint is that I wish most of these short stories, esp. "The Bible Repairman" and "The Hour of Babel" in particular, were novellas at least, if not actual novels in their own right. In the real world, I despise anything that even hints of woo, never mind "reality" bullshit like "Ghost Hunters". But pasta preserve me, I love Powers' carefully crafted ghost stories.
Shan
These stories were *really* fun to read -- inventive, creepy, and very entertaining. Some of the best ghost stories I've read in a while. I also really like it when the author writes a bit about how each story came about.
Chuk

Couldn't find a Goodreads entry for the full anthology, but that's what I read. A big chunk of it I'd already read in the sequel to _The Stress of her Regard_. The rest was good.
Tone
I'd probably have appreciated this more if I had read The Stress of Her Regard first since the final story uses one of the characters from that book.
Lori
This has to be one of the best collections of short stories that I've come across. I can't choose a favorite, but I can recommend them all.
Mark Jardine
Brilliantly imaginative, a book of short stories from Mr Powers is often better than a full length novel from other writers.
Lucien
This book reminds me how short stories can be so damn good.
Lori
I love the way he twists history & fiction
Istel
Istel added it
Oct 30, 2014
Jorge Figueroba Sánchez
Jorge Figueroba Sánchez marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Vanegumis
Vanegumis marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Ogs
Ogs added it
Sep 18, 2014
Nathan Doyle
Nathan Doyle marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • Legion and The Emperor's Soul
  • Collected Stories (Everyman's Library)
  • Selected Novels and Short Stories
  • The Last Confession: A Crime Novel
  • The Green Woman
  • Bears Discover Fire and Other Stories
  • Tales of Pain and Wonder
  • The Case of the Constant Suicides (Dr. Gideon Fell, #13)
  • Leviathan Wept and Other Stories
  • La canción secreta del mundo
  • The Comedy is Finished (Hard Case Crime #105)
Timothy Thomas Powers is an American science fiction and fantasy author. Powers has won the World Fantasy Award twice for his critically acclaimed novels Last Call and Declare.

Most of Powers's novels are "secret histories": he uses actual, documented historical events featuring famous people, but shows another view of them in which occult or supernatural factors heavily influence the motivations a
More about Tim Powers...
The Anubis Gates Last Call (Fault Lines, #1) On Stranger Tides Declare The Drawing of the Dark