Start by marking “The Bible Repairman” as Want to Read:
The Bible Repairman

The Bible Repairman

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  255 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A new short story chapbook published as a signed limited edition.
Published January 31st 2006 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about The Bible Repairman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bible Repairman

Mei
Jul 12, 2012 Mei rated it liked it
I liked these. Most importantly, well written, these were interesting little stories with a touch of the supernatural and he manages to convey a lot with economy of words. I haven't read any Tim Powers for years (since The Drawing of The Dark and The Anubis Gates) so I'm glad I picked this one up. I have to confess that the Trelawney novella was my least favourite of the stories in here as I found it a little too disjointed. I don't quite remember his other works (it's been too long) but i suspe ...more
Alexander Páez
Sin duda lo merece, cuatro relatos que me han hecho disfrutar muchísimo, que se leen rápido y sobretodo que rebosan talento y originalidad.

Si todavía no lo habéis hecho,leedlo, vale mucho la pena.
Javi Lara
Jan 09, 2014 Javi Lara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Los dos primeros cuentos son geniales.
Michael Pryor
Jun 06, 2012 Michael Pryor rated it really liked it
Everyday strangeness. The mysteries under the mundane. Ghosts, unexpected.
Chuck Lawson
May 08, 2010 Chuck Lawson rated it really liked it
A novel's worth of Tim Powers weirdness in convenient short-story form.
Laurie
Jul 05, 2012 Laurie rated it really liked it
This slim volume contains six of Powers short stories, all of which have been published before. I picked it up because I thought Powers was a steampunk author (based on Anubis Gates) and discovered that steampunk is just a small part of his writing.

In this book we have a story about kidnapped ghosts; one about how a being that moves in five dimensions wrecks things when it moves around on earth; one where a twin sister hopes to run things from the grave; a tale of a funeral with cats attending;
Mine
Sep 11, 2015 Mine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, l-spanish
Reto de lectura #27. Un libro que puedes terminar en un día

Cuatro relatos son los que componen este libro que me ha gustado de principio a fin y que me han dejado confundida, interesada y deseosa de más conforme leía cada página.

Powers se ha encargado de mostrar mundos que ya se han visto antes (como el de los primeros tres relatos) y uno del que definitivamente me encantaría saber y ver más desarrollado.

Sin duda, un libro que no dudaría en leer otra vez.

Puedes encontrar las citas del libro aquí
Aramys
Nov 26, 2015 Aramys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En definitiva, cuatro relatos muy buenos, con alguno sobresaliente, que han conseguido que corra a comprar La fuerza de su mirada y Las puertas de Anubis solo para empezar, y ya veremos después. Absolutamente recomendables.

Mss Black (Smoke)
Me han gustado bastante los relatos aunque el último se me ha quedado corto. La idea me encantaba pero me da la sensación de que estaba muy forzado para entrar en tan pocas páginas.

De los otros tres el primero es el que menos me ha gustado aunque probablemente porque lo leí en el trabajo y era un poco dificil seguir el hilo a tanto viaje temporal.
Stephen Dorneman
Aug 11, 2013 Stephen Dorneman rated it really liked it
First off, my bias -- I'd probably give Tim Powers's grocery list at least three stars, as I'm a big fan of his writings. If you've read and enjoyed THE STRESS OF HER REGARD, you will definitely enjoy this book, with the only disappointment being its slender length - at 170 pages, it's barely a tease for Powers's novels. The short stories included here are wonderful, but the longest section of the book is more-or-less a sequel to THE STRESS OF HER REGARD, and I recommend reading that first.
Hendel
Aug 09, 2012 Hendel rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook

My only complaint is that I wish most of these short stories, esp. "The Bible Repairman" and "The Hour of Babel" in particular, were novellas at least, if not actual novels in their own right. In the real world, I despise anything that even hints of woo, never mind "reality" bullshit like "Ghost Hunters". But pasta preserve me, I love Powers' carefully crafted ghost stories.
Shan
Nov 28, 2011 Shan rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
These stories were *really* fun to read -- inventive, creepy, and very entertaining. Some of the best ghost stories I've read in a while. I also really like it when the author writes a bit about how each story came about.
Chuk
Nov 21, 2012 Chuk rated it really liked it

Couldn't find a Goodreads entry for the full anthology, but that's what I read. A big chunk of it I'd already read in the sequel to _The Stress of her Regard_. The rest was good.
Tone
Jun 01, 2012 Tone rated it liked it
I'd probably have appreciated this more if I had read The Stress of Her Regard first since the final story uses one of the characters from that book.
Lori
Mar 07, 2013 Lori rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of the best collections of short stories that I've come across. I can't choose a favorite, but I can recommend them all.
Mark
Dec 15, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly imaginative, a book of short stories from Mr Powers is often better than a full length novel from other writers.
Lucien
Jun 24, 2013 Lucien rated it really liked it
This book reminds me how short stories can be so damn good.
Lori
Jun 08, 2013 Lori rated it it was amazing
I love the way he twists history & fiction
Edwin
Edwin rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Steve Marshall
Steve Marshall marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Jorge López Zarza
Jorge López Zarza marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Eric Bell
Eric Bell rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Ivan Arroyo
Ivan Arroyo marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Bill Ramsell
Bill Ramsell rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Daniel Generoso
Daniel Generoso rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Urtzi
Urtzi marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
  • Collected Stories (Everyman's Library)
  • Selected Novels and Short Stories
  • The Last Confession: A Crime Novel
  • The Book of Happenstance
  • The Big Book of Adventure Stories
  • The Penguin Pool Murder (Hildegarde Withers #1)
  • The Green Leopard Plague and Other Stories
  • The Boy Who Shoots Crows
  • Leviathan Wept and Other Stories
  • The Green Woman
  • The Homecoming
  • Bears Discover Fire and Other Stories
  • The Comedy is Finished (Hard Case Crime #105)
  • Budapest Noir: A Novel
  • The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 2
  • His Dark Materials: Trilogy, Fantasy Literature, Philip Pullman, Northern Lights (Novel), The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass, Coming Of Age, Will Parry (His Dark Materials), Costa Book Awards
  • Jenny Finn
  • The Girl with No Hands (and Other Tales)
Timothy Thomas Powers is an American science fiction and fantasy author. Powers has won the World Fantasy Award twice for his critically acclaimed novels Last Call and Declare.

Most of Powers's novels are "secret histories": he uses actual, documented historical events featuring famous people, but shows another view of them in which occult or supernatural factors heavily influence the motivations a
More about Tim Powers...