Start by marking “Warrior Girl” as Want to Read:
Warrior Girl

Warrior Girl

Epic and dramatic, 'Warrior Girl' is the story of Mariane, Joan of Arc's most loyal and courageous friend. The novel is full of historical information, depictions and facts - perfect for the classroom, the library and for reading at home.
Published March 1st 2005 by Oxford University Press, USA

Cecilia
Jan 24, 2015 Cecilia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young historical fiction-readers
"They called her la Pucelle
The Maid of Orléans and Joan of Arc
And she did impel
The French army when their future was dark."

>> lyrics by historyteachers, song can be found here: Joan of Arc

description

Well hello there gentle readers!

I've decided after a little struggling while reading this book, to give it 3 stars.

I liked it because it gave an interesting view on the Joan of Arc-story. In this historical novel, The Maid of Orléans' cousin (I assume fictional) tells the story. The cousin, Mariane is m
Tara Chevrestt
Joan of Arc... glorified mascot or truly a holy messenger? One thing I loved about this book is it allows you to decide. Though about one of the most religious women in history, I never felt her talking to angels nor her messages from god were being shoved down my throat. (I'm remembering An Army of Angels by Pamela Marcantel and not in a fond way. That book just made Joan of Arc seem crazy.)

To read full review and see pictures, click the link:

Melinda
Jul 09, 2015 Melinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read many books about my Favorite historical person Jehanne d'Arc and this one was a great telling tailored for older kids. I love that it was told from the perspective of a companion, who has her own personal story and in and of herself is a compelling character. Quick, satisfying read. I'd like to read some of her other books. I also love that she uses the old French spelling of her name, which I prefer to Jeanne.
Sara
This was a decent book. I'm fascinated by St. Joan as a historical figure, and was pleased to find a novel featuring her. This was overall a very quick read for me, and I feel that the writing really picked up at about the halfway mark. I especially enjoyed Mariane as a character and her struggle for her inheritance; I think it was a clever idea that Joan had a cousin who was also her companion.
Overall, a quick, tragic-inspirational read.
Denae Christine
I like the main character, and how she's mute but can read. She was the perfect person to tell this tale.
Joan, of course, couldn't.
Shilo Quetchenbach
I enjoyed this take on the story of Joan of Arc. The writing was a bit difficult to get used to - seems like many books set around this time period make use of a specific writing style that is a bit choppier than I am used to. However, once I got into the story, I read it in one sitting without realizing that the time was passing - so it was definitely well-told. I found it interesting that, though the story is ostensibly about Jehanne, it is told through the 'voice' of her voiceless friend Mari ...more
Joyce
Jun 04, 2013 Joyce rated it it was ok
Meh. Always liked Joan of Arc, I feel badly to rate this so low, because if I were in Grade 7 I'd have loved to read it: instead of all those historical fiction books that always only had a male character doing adventurous stuff (as in the ubiquitous 'He Went With Name-Your-Famous-Male-Historical-Figure'). So maybe if I rated it as a young girl reading it, I'd have given it more stars. Pauline Chandler is definitely doing what I've thought for decades was needed: a believable 'SHE went with ...' ...more
Tigger
Feb 07, 2009 Tigger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
Liltánel
Sep 22, 2013 Liltánel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction
I read this one some time ago... I love the perspective of the girl. She isn't perfect and she can't talk, which creates a major obstacle for her, communicating with people who neither read, nor write. Jeanne is shown as a determined girl, who, despite being guided by God's orders, is unsure and uneasy about what she is about to attempt. I like how they tell the story. However, it is not the full story of Joan of Arc. Mariane leaves t some point to deal with a matter of inheritance. Chandler des ...more
Heather
Jul 04, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great introduction to Joan of Arc's story using two strong, likeable female characters. The story is told from the point of view, Mariane, Jehanne's fictional cousin, and is full of adventure, betrayal, mystery and intrigue. Mariane doesn't always understand her cousin but she loves her and will help her as best she can. It is heartbreaking at the end when Mariane sees Jehanne betrayed, put on trial, and executed, but the final chapter ends on a note of hope and faith.
Jenn
Aug 02, 2012 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book about Joan of Arc, told from the perspective of her (fictitious, I assume) mute cousin. It was a little tough to get into at first, I think because I was trying to keep all the French names straight, but held my interest after a couple chapters. Even though you know how it ends, I still teared up a little & was inspired by her courage.
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
I was one of the first to read this as a test reader for Harper Collins. I remember loving it and wishing there was some way it could be continued, but obviously that would be just pointless as the focal character dies as everyone knows before reading the book. This is a wonderful interpretation of the Joan story. Give it a try, you might be pleasantly suprised.
Ami
Jun 24, 2011 Ami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is written from the view point of Joan of Arc's cousin. There were times it was slow at times. I enjoyed learning a little more about Joan of Arc. I would not read it again but I enjoyed it.
Heidi
Appears to be rather superficial.
Meg
Aug 15, 2009 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book. It tells the story of Joan of Arc from a different point of view. I loved it!
Zoe
Feb 06, 2015 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting one if you want to research how dialect is portrayed in novels, especially novels set outside the English speaking world.
Kelly
Jan 30, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story told from her cousin's point of view. Not good for real little children sue to the war violence, but will remember this for when my kids get older.
Corinne
Sep 21, 2012 Corinne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far it is okay, a little boring but still interesting. I'm on page 115.
Maya
Nov 06, 2009 Maya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Riley, Megan, Anna
This book started out kinda slow for me but was so amazing. It's about Johanne d'Ark (Joan of Ark) and her cousin Maryann. All true. It is definitely one I'd recommend.
Lisa Pfeffer
Apr 15, 2011 Lisa Pfeffer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-blast
I really liked this historical fiction book. This tells the story of Joan of Arc. Will use for book club
Kate
Nov 07, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was touching to me and I thought it was one of the best books that I have read. At the beggining of the book is a bot grusome though.
Makenzie
Sep 24, 2013 Makenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have ever read...! Really for people who like historical fiction and understands French a bit!
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2009
Wanda Jones
Wanda Jones rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2010
Ellie
Ellie rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Arl
Arl rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2011
Gacossette
Gacossette rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2012
Natalia
Natalia rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2009
Olivia
Olivia rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2009
  • I, Victoria
  • Pure Love, Pure Life: Exploring God's Heart on Purity
  • The Ballet Companion
  • Our Lives Are the Rivers: A Novel
  • In the Shadow of the Sun King (Darkness to Light, #1)
  • The Unwilling Bride