Start by marking “James Marshall's Cinderella” as Want to Read:
James Marshall's Cinderella

James Marshall's Cinderella

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Marshall's bold and witty full-color illustrations add life to Karlin's retelling of the well-known story of the girl with the wicked stepsisters.
Published October 1st 2001 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about James Marshall's Cinderella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James Marshall's Cinderella

Nicole Marzan
Cinderella retold by Barbara Karlin tells the traditional story of Cinderella, but the illustrations by James Marshall give this story a unique edge. Like the original, a young woman is forced to work as a servant for her step-mother and step-sisters, but after she gets transformed into a beautiful princess, she goes to the ball and meets a handsome prince. Forced to leave at midnight, Cinderella leaves behind her glass slipper in a rush. The prince then searches all around town for the woman wh ...more
Mi Ngo
Cinderella may be one of the most well known fairy tales, but this version was very cute. It rung to the original story as Cinderella was told by the fairy godmother to bring her a pumpkin, mice, and such that she would transform them to what Cinderella needed to go to the ball. There are many versions that forget that aspect of the story, that she had to work harder to get what she desired.

The illustrations were simplified compared to other versions but I enjoyed them. They were all drawn a li
Charlotte
Cinderella, retold by Barbara Karlin, is a quirky delight. The story is beautifully told and remains quite faithful to the original. The illustrations by James Marshall are extremely cartoony and at times goofy. Typically I do not like this approach to illustrating a fairy tale, and I tried extremely hard to dislike this little book. However, the sweet story paired with the silly, child-like drawings completely stole my heart and won me over. Marshall finds a way, through his illustrations, to m ...more
Madison
The illustrations in this book just didn't create the fairy tale magic for me. When I think Cinderella, I think of a beautiful young women who the world has cut down enough that she has forgotten her true potential. Then, her lovely fairygodmother (not a fat lady like the one pictured in this novel) comes and help Cinderella to dress to her beautiful potential. These cartoon-like characters just seem ugly to me. A Princess can't be ugly! What are they thinking? I even found the words to be a lit ...more
NS Kelley
This is a modernized look at the classic tale of Cinderella. Cinderella is used to do lost of chores around the house where she works as a servant. The Prince of the town threw a big ball and invited everyone to go. Cinderella had not planned on attending but with the help of her fairy godmother she was transformed into a princess. The stepmother used unique animals to be at the head of the carriage ride. As Cinderella arrived at the ball the prince was immediately smitten. They spent a romantic ...more
Xiaoxiao Zhu
What a beautiful Cinderella! What a handsome prince! What a nasty stepmother! What two ugly stepsisters! Oh, what a coincidence! It's a story which also has stepmother and a poor girl. This may be why these books will succeed in the children's literature field, because children always show sympathy for poor people while they also always want a happy ending in each story. Children always expect the romantic and beautiful things happening surrounding them. What's more, children can also learn a lo ...more
Destiny
I found this book interesting. The story is similar to many other retelling on the same story. The art is what caught my attention! I loved the step mother and step sisters. They were dressed and looked so dramatic that the vanity of their personalities really shone through their looks. Having them dressed in such a way with such expression enveloped their immense amount of vanity for the way they look and the things they own.
Megan
Elisha
I chose this book due to its traditional story it's something we all know and love to occasionally read. This traditional tail is retold with the same story line but with unique illustrations. Cinderella has an evil stepmother and stepsisters that do not want her to have any privileges. She cannot go to the royal ball but her fairy god mother grants her to go. The prince will fall in love with her and they will live happily together.
Kalee
I thought this was a wonderful edition of Cinderella. I love James Marshall style of pictures. The pictures seem to be very appealing to children. Plus there is a great opportunity from the pictures and the words to create a discussion with children while reading.
Rachel
I love this interpretation of Cinderella! When I read it to my students they have so much fun comparing and contrasting this book to the movie and to other versions off the story that they know!
Karen
This story is incredibly similar to the Perrault version. It tells the truth and provides an enjoyable read for young kids that does not overly teach them to work hard and not complain, no matter how unfair the situation is at hand. However, it does not really reveal insights into modern day culture. It seems as though this book is merely a reiteration of the original story with new pictures. So it is authentic to the original; yet, it does not give any credit to the original authors. The only i ...more
Brooke Birchler
The only other version I have ever seen of Cinderella is the Disney movie so it was really interesting to me to read this book. I loved the illustrations and the way the book was written.
Crysta Xue
The art irritated me for some reason and the story was all to familiar, but I did like how Cinderella brought he family to the palace with her to share the happy ending.
Judy
Not one of Marshall's best. But better than many versions of this, especially due to the great facial expressions Marshall gives to the ugly sisters and to Cinderella herself.
Alexis
I enjoyed the story, it was traditional but I was not a fan of the art. It was distracting and very cluttered and so I felt like that took away from the story a little bit. But the story line was good and interesting. But I don't think I would like to read this book again.
Emily
A contemporary telling of the classic tale of Cinderella, the language is very approachable for younger audiences. The pictures are hilarious. The step-sisters could not look for ridiculous! A favorite picture is Cinderella's face when she must retrieve two lizards for her Godmother. Many animals are included in the pictures throughout the book, especially dogs and cats, and all are depicted in classic James Marshall style. Children will enjoy finding all of the little details in each illustrati ...more
Mary
Retold by Barbara Karlin, and illustrated by James Marshall. I don't think I have ever seen a more expressive face on Cinderella, from her frazzled demeanor as she does all the chores to her look of disgust when she has to bring 2 lizards to her fairy godmother (for the footmen). It is the classic story with no surprises, other than the imaginative and humorous illustrations.
Ashley
Barbara Karlin's text does not stray too far from the Perrault version of Cinderella that most people are familiar with. The illustrations by James Marshall however, add a does of humor that make the story more fun than usual. My favorite touches are the prince hanging out in his hammock with his dogs and the colorful paper lanterns that decorate the ball.
Hope
I like the different variations of the Cinderella books, because it makes comparing and contrasting texts simple. Furthermore, I like to show children how to make connections with the story when you read and identify similar characteristics using the same author, because this skill creates discussion of literature.
Allison Melowsky
This is the Cinderella story that I recall being read when I was younger. I have always loved the cartoon illustrations, with the glutenous stepsisters and stepmother. when I think of Cinderella, this book's illustrations and writing come to mind, and I feel this this is the book I compare others to.
Jessica
Fun, typical Cinderella. I probably like that it isn't Disney. My three year old asked for it to be read again and again. She's just a fan of the Cinderella story in general. I am looking for some different non-Disney versions. This was a strong contender for the younger set.
Maryalice
Mary says "The prince tried on the shoe on the stepsisters. This book was sad when the stepsisters called Cinderella a lazy bones."

Mom says these James Marsall fairy tales are very funny.

Mary gives it free stars!
Katie Shaw
This story puts a different spin on the classic Cinderella story. It's funny for kids and adults. It would be great to read if the kids are feeling antsy and just need a short break to lighten the mood.
Cecoiya Johnson
Cinderella was a story of the orginal Cinderella story. The illustrations were great, and I think this would be s great way for students to learn how to compare and contrast different stories
Eric Summers
Just another picture book rehashing the same Disneyfied version of the Cinderella fairy tale. There is nothing new here in the text, and the pictures are certainly nothing to write home about.
Sharon
Another hand-me-down from the cousins, a Cinderella tale in which she marries off her step-sisters at the end of the tale. Better than having their eyes pecked out.
Tommy
Danny
Kelsey
I saw students reading this book during my practicum and it is yet another retelling of a fairy tale and can be used during that unit.

*picture book
  • Cinderella
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Dinorella: A Prehistoric Fairytale
  • Ruby Bridges Goes To School: My True Story (Scholastic Reader Level 2)
  • The Magic School Bus Inside a Hurricane (The Magic School Bus, #7)
  • Going West
  • The Island of the Skog
  • Cinder-Elly
  • The Goat in the Rug
  • Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Duck Soup