Start by marking “James Marshall's Cinderella” as Want to Read:
James Marshall's Cinderella

James Marshall's Cinderella

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  230 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Marshall's bold and witty full-color illustrations add life to Karlin's retelling of the well-known story of the girl with the wicked stepsisters.
Published October 1st 2001 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about James Marshall's Cinderella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James Marshall's Cinderella

Nicole Marzan
Oct 08, 2014 Nicole Marzan rated it really liked it
Cinderella retold by Barbara Karlin tells the traditional story of Cinderella, but the illustrations by James Marshall give this story a unique edge. Like the original, a young woman is forced to work as a servant for her step-mother and step-sisters, but after she gets transformed into a beautiful princess, she goes to the ball and meets a handsome prince. Forced to leave at midnight, Cinderella leaves behind her glass slipper in a rush. The prince then searches all around town for the woman wh ...more
Xiaoxiao Zhu
What a beautiful Cinderella! What a handsome prince! What a nasty stepmother! What two ugly stepsisters! Oh, what a coincidence! It's a story which also has stepmother and a poor girl. This may be why these books will succeed in the children's literature field, because children always show sympathy for poor people while they also always want a happy ending in each story. Children always expect the romantic and beautiful things happening surrounding them. What's more, children can also learn a lo ...more
Karen
This story is incredibly similar to the Perrault version. It tells the truth and provides an enjoyable read for young kids that does not overly teach them to work hard and not complain, no matter how unfair the situation is at hand. However, it does not really reveal insights into modern day culture. It seems as though this book is merely a reiteration of the original story with new pictures. So it is authentic to the original; yet, it does not give any credit to the original authors. The only i ...more
Shannon Brasher
Oct 15, 2015 Shannon Brasher rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed in this book. Usually I love any books with James Marshall, however this book lacked the silly, quirkiness of his books and it is just a retelling along the lines of the Disney version of Cinderella. I prefer his Little Red Riding Hood or the Three Little Pigs books. I don't know that I would use this book in the classroom as a read aloud, but I would have it in my library.
Kandice Buck
Oct 06, 2015 Kandice Buck rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales
This is a retold version of the original Cinderella story. Cinderella lives with a wicked step mother and two step sisters who try to make her life miserable. This version is very similar to the original. The only difference is that in the end of the book, Cinderella invites her evil step family to move into the castle with her and the prince because no matter what they are her family. This version is great for children and the colorful illustrations will draw their attention.
Natalie Rudolph
Mar 01, 2016 Natalie Rudolph rated it liked it
Cinderella (1989) Written and Illustrated by James Marshall

This story is a pretty traditional retelling of Cinderella. Cinderella’s mother passes away and her father remarries a mean woman with two mean daughters. Cinderella is mistreated by them, forced to do all the housework and chores. When the prince holds a ball, Cinderella’s fairy godmother steps in and grants her a beautiful dress and carriage to wear to the event. There, Cinderella falls in love with the prince, but when the clock strik
Ivy Wesner
Karlin, Barbara. Cinderella. Scholastic Inc., 1989. 32 p. Gr. PK-3.

Barbara Karlin retells the fairy tale of Cinderella in this European book, Cinderella. The tale is extremely similar to the original where a widower has a beautiful daughter, Cinderella, and remarries a horrible mean woman. This mean woman has two wicked daughters of her own who make Cinderella do all the housework. Cinderella no longer has a bed of her own and is made to sleep on cinders and ashes. One day, the King holds a ball
Alyssa Crowley
Karlin, Barbara. Cinderella. Scholastic, 1989.

Cinderella, by Barbara Karlin is a spin off of the original Disney story in which Cinderella’s father remarries and she has to deal with the undermining of an evil stepmother and two step sisters. She is treated as a maid in which she has to clean up after and cook for everyone in the house. When the King decides to throw a ball for his son, Cinderella’s fairy god mother makes it so that she is able to attend and fall in love with her very own princ
Emily
Feb 28, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A contemporary telling of the classic tale of Cinderella, the language is very approachable for younger audiences. The pictures are hilarious. The step-sisters could not look for ridiculous! A favorite picture is Cinderella's face when she must retrieve two lizards for her Godmother. Many animals are included in the pictures throughout the book, especially dogs and cats, and all are depicted in classic James Marshall style. Children will enjoy finding all of the little details in each illustrati ...more
Kaitlyn Lawrence
This is another book that I would have in my classroom library. It retells the fairy-tale of Cinderella and it is something that students would enjoy reading on their own to connect it to the movie.
Mary Dye
Oct 23, 2015 Mary Dye rated it really liked it
I have always been such a huge fan of the Disney Princesses that being able to read this book that is related to Cinderella was a great experience. This book was different enough that I really enjoyed it and didn't see the ending coming.
Elisha
Feb 19, 2015 Elisha rated it really liked it
I chose this book due to its traditional story it's something we all know and love to occasionally read. This traditional tail is retold with the same story line but with unique illustrations. Cinderella has an evil stepmother and stepsisters that do not want her to have any privileges. She cannot go to the royal ball but her fairy god mother grants her to go. The prince will fall in love with her and they will live happily together.
Destiny
Sep 19, 2014 Destiny rated it liked it
I found this book interesting. The story is similar to many other retelling on the same story. The art is what caught my attention! I loved the step mother and step sisters. They were dressed and looked so dramatic that the vanity of their personalities really shone through their looks. Having them dressed in such a way with such expression enveloped their immense amount of vanity for the way they look and the things they own.
Mi Ngo
Feb 24, 2015 Mi Ngo rated it liked it
Cinderella may be one of the most well known fairy tales, but this version was very cute. It rung to the original story as Cinderella was told by the fairy godmother to bring her a pumpkin, mice, and such that she would transform them to what Cinderella needed to go to the ball. There are many versions that forget that aspect of the story, that she had to work harder to get what she desired.

The illustrations were simplified compared to other versions but I enjoyed them. They were all drawn a li
Megan
Jan 15, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it
Charlotte
Jan 08, 2015 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cinderella, retold by Barbara Karlin, is a quirky delight. The story is beautifully told and remains quite faithful to the original. The illustrations by James Marshall are extremely cartoony and at times goofy. Typically I do not like this approach to illustrating a fairy tale, and I tried extremely hard to dislike this little book. However, the sweet story paired with the silly, child-like drawings completely stole my heart and won me over. Marshall finds a way, through his illustrations, to m ...more
Alexis
Jan 12, 2014 Alexis rated it it was ok
Shelves: january
I enjoyed the story, it was traditional but I was not a fan of the art. It was distracting and very cluttered and so I felt like that took away from the story a little bit. But the story line was good and interesting. But I don't think I would like to read this book again.
Kalee
Sep 18, 2014 Kalee rated it liked it
I thought this was a wonderful edition of Cinderella. I love James Marshall style of pictures. The pictures seem to be very appealing to children. Plus there is a great opportunity from the pictures and the words to create a discussion with children while reading.
Rachel
I love this interpretation of Cinderella! When I read it to my students they have so much fun comparing and contrasting this book to the movie and to other versions off the story that they know!
Brooke Birchler
Feb 12, 2014 Brooke Birchler rated it it was amazing
The only other version I have ever seen of Cinderella is the Disney movie so it was really interesting to me to read this book. I loved the illustrations and the way the book was written.
Crysta Xue
Sep 22, 2014 Crysta Xue rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
The art irritated me for some reason and the story was all to familiar, but I did like how Cinderella brought he family to the palace with her to share the happy ending.
Judy
Not one of Marshall's best. But better than many versions of this, especially due to the great facial expressions Marshall gives to the ugly sisters and to Cinderella herself.
Sarah Truluck
Aug 30, 2015 Sarah Truluck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I have always been obsessed with princesses and Cinderella is defiantly a princess. I chose this book, because of the princess.
Madison
Jan 08, 2015 Madison rated it did not like it
Shelves: 03-classic-fairy
The illustrations in this book just didn't create the fairy tale magic for me. When I think Cinderella, I think of a beautiful young women who the world has cut down enough that she has forgotten her true potential. Then, her lovely fairygodmother (not a fat lady like the one pictured in this novel) comes and help Cinderella to dress to her beautiful potential. These cartoon-like characters just seem ugly to me. A Princess can't be ugly! What are they thinking? I even found the words to be a lit ...more
NS Kelley
Oct 13, 2009 NS Kelley rated it really liked it
This is a modernized look at the classic tale of Cinderella. Cinderella is used to do lost of chores around the house where she works as a servant. The Prince of the town threw a big ball and invited everyone to go. Cinderella had not planned on attending but with the help of her fairy godmother she was transformed into a princess. The stepmother used unique animals to be at the head of the carriage ride. As Cinderella arrived at the ball the prince was immediately smitten. They spent a romantic ...more
Kelly
Mar 24, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: story-time, kidlit
Simple and easy retelling of the classic fairytale with James Marshall's witty illustrations. My students loved playing "spot the cat" -- there's one on every page.
Allison Dotson
Nov 18, 2015 Allison Dotson added it
Recommends it for: nana
Recommended to Allison by: nana
Matt
This version of the Cinderella is a little different than the classic version, but the main story is still the same. While this is an okay book for students, I don't think it would make for a very good read aloud, you might just give students the option to read it on their own time.
Mary
Retold by Barbara Karlin, and illustrated by James Marshall. I don't think I have ever seen a more expressive face on Cinderella, from her frazzled demeanor as she does all the chores to her look of disgust when she has to bring 2 lizards to her fairy godmother (for the footmen). It is the classic story with no surprises, other than the imaginative and humorous illustrations.
Ashley
Jul 14, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Barbara Karlin's text does not stray too far from the Perrault version of Cinderella that most people are familiar with. The illustrations by James Marshall however, add a does of humor that make the story more fun than usual. My favorite touches are the prince hanging out in his hammock with his dogs and the colorful paper lanterns that decorate the ball.
  • Red Riding Hood
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • The Goat in the Rug
  • Ruby Bridges Goes To School: My True Story (Scholastic Reader Level 2)
  • The Magic School Bus Inside a Hurricane (The Magic School Bus, #7)
  • Cinder-Elly