Start by marking “The Clue Of The Left-Handed Envelope: Ready-for-chapters (Third-Grade Detectives)” as Want to Read:

The Clue Of The Left-Handed Envelope: Ready-for-chapters (Third-Grade Detectives #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  9 reviews
WHO SENT AMBER LEE AN ANONYMOUS LETTER?
Everyone loves the new teacher, Mr. Merlin. Mr. Merlin used to be a spy, and he knows all about secret codes and the strange and gross ways the police solve mysteries.
Now there's a mystery in their very own class -- someone sent Amber Lee Johnson an anonymous letter. Noelle and Todd want to solve the mystery before anyone else. Bu
Published October 1st 2000 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 200)

To ask other readers questions about The Clue Of The Left-Handed Envelope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clue Of The Left-Handed Envelope

Dolly
Jan 08, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the first book in the Third-Grade Detectives series by George E. Stanley and Sal Murdocca.

It's a fascinating story that introduces children to the art and science of cryptography as well as forensics. Our oldest loved this book and immediately engaged her sister in creating messages in hidden code using a simple letter substitution. I love it when the books we read get our girls excited about a new subject and teach them about math, science and other puzzles. We recognize the illustrato
Meyaka
As an attempt to get my third-grader to read more, I selected this mystery series. The book introduces two best friends who have a "new" teacher as their third-grade teacher. They speculate what the teacher did before he came to their school and during the first day of class, the teacher squashes all of the mystery by saying that he used to be a spy. The teacher uses his "spy-skills" to grab the attention of his students and encourages them to critically think to solve mysteries that arise in th ...more
Kristen
I found this early chapter book mystery boring, repetitive, and ultimately forgettable.
Queue
This was a good book for my younger brother.
Danielle Simmons
I always loved being the detective as a child. And knowing children who are like that now, this book can be a good way to get children to read at a young age. The book keeps you guessing at what the messages mean. Mr. Merlin knows all about being a detective and solving mysteries. Being a third grade detective can lead children to use their imagination and lead them into problem solving and adventure. This story can be a good transitional book that keeps. Hidden guessing at the anonymous notes b ...more
Carolyn
This is the first in the Third-Grade Detectives series, but they are all good. I wish there were more. These are "mystery" books with a cryptology twist. Each mystery is solved as the kids decipher different kinds of codes from their teacher. Fun for any kid who has figured out how to write in code.
Tj Mandachit
this is a great book for people in third or the end of second grade.its about a girl on third grade that got a letter. they're teacher is a spy so he helps find out who sent the letter.
Steven
Pre-read for my daughter. Very easy read and seems to capture a third-grade class mentality fairly well. Not quite on the same level as, say, Encyclopedia Brown, but pretty entertaining.
Haley Rakestraw
This books is soo like interesting like you cant stop reading it once you start
Satomi Hirata
Satomi Hirata marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Susan Northington
Susan Northington marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
James Lebron
James Lebron marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Jenna
Jenna added it
May 12, 2015
Jabrarious Brown
Jabrarious Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Trisha
Trisha added it
Apr 13, 2015
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Jenny Young
Jenny Young marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
An extraordinarily prolific writer, George Edward Stanley has also found time to travel and teach, drawing many of the plots for his books from his diverse experiences and natural curiosity. In addition to penning numerous books under his own name, Stanley has also published under several pseudonyms, including the well-known house pseudonyms Carolyn Keene and Franklin W. Bramley.
More about George E. Stanley...

Third-Grade Detectives (10 books)
  • The Puzzle of the Pretty Pink Handkerchief
  • The Mystery of the Hairy Tomatoes
  • The Cobweb Confession
  • The Riddle Of The Stolen Sand (Third-Grade Detectives #5)
  • The Secret of the Green Skin
  • The Case of the Dirty Clue
  • The Secret of the Wooden Witness
  • The Case of the Bank-Robbing Bandit
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Statue
Night Fires Third-Grade Detectives #1-2: The Clue of the Left-Handed Envelope & The Puzzle of the Pretty Pink Handkerchief The Cobweb Confession The Mystery of the Stolen Statue Ghost Horse (A Stepping Stone Book)