Start by marking “The Clue Of The Left-Handed Envelope: Ready-for-chapters (Third-Grade Detectives)” as Want to Read:

The Clue Of The Left-Handed Envelope: Ready-for-chapters (Third-Grade Detectives #1)

WHO SENT AMBER LEE AN ANONYMOUS LETTER?
Everyone loves the new teacher, Mr. Merlin. Mr. Merlin used to be a spy, and he knows all about secret codes and the strange and gross ways the police solve mysteries.
Now there's a mystery in their very own class -- someone sent Amber Lee Johnson an anonymous letter. Noelle and Todd want to solve the mystery before anyone else. Bu
Published October 1st 2000 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 200)

To ask other readers questions about The Clue Of The Left-Handed Envelope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clue Of The Left-Handed Envelope

Dolly
May 05, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the first book in the Third-Grade Detectives series by George E. Stanley and Sal Murdocca.

It's a fascinating story that introduces children to the art and science of cryptography as well as forensics. Our oldest loved this book and immediately engaged her sister in creating messages in hidden code using a simple letter substitution. I love it when the books we read get our girls excited about a new subject and teach them about math, science and other puzzles. We recognize the illustrato
Meyaka
May 11, 2011 Meyaka rated it liked it
As an attempt to get my third-grader to read more, I selected this mystery series. The book introduces two best friends who have a "new" teacher as their third-grade teacher. They speculate what the teacher did before he came to their school and during the first day of class, the teacher squashes all of the mystery by saying that he used to be a spy. The teacher uses his "spy-skills" to grab the attention of his students and encourages them to critically think to solve mysteries that arise in th ...more
Conan Tigard
Nov 16, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter read this book to me and quite enjoyed trying to figure out the secret codes in The Clue of the Left-Handed Envelope. The lead character, Noelle, is a completive girl who only wants to beat Amber Lee in solving the mystery. She is really funny and the children that read this story will really like her, even though they may have trouble figuring out how to pronounce her name.

The story is quite light and a fun read and should be enjoyed by all third graders.

Overall, I would recommend
Danielle Simmons
I always loved being the detective as a child. And knowing children who are like that now, this book can be a good way to get children to read at a young age. The book keeps you guessing at what the messages mean. Mr. Merlin knows all about being a detective and solving mysteries. Being a third grade detective can lead children to use their imagination and lead them into problem solving and adventure. This story can be a good transitional book that keeps. Hidden guessing at the anonymous notes b ...more
Carolyn
Jun 22, 2009 Carolyn rated it really liked it
This is the first in the Third-Grade Detectives series, but they are all good. I wish there were more. These are "mystery" books with a cryptology twist. Each mystery is solved as the kids decipher different kinds of codes from their teacher. Fun for any kid who has figured out how to write in code.
Amy Varchetti
Jo Miller
This is the first book of the series and I can see the fun in reading these books. I like this one because it shows girls how they can get involved and interested in other subjects and step out of their comfort zone and show their brains.
Tj Mandachit
Oct 29, 2009 Tj Mandachit rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-books
this is a great book for people in third or the end of second grade.its about a girl on third grade that got a letter. they're teacher is a spy so he helps find out who sent the letter.
Queue
Aug 24, 2014 Queue rated it really liked it
This was a good book for my younger brother.
Kristen
Mar 08, 2015 Kristen rated it it was ok
I found this early chapter book mystery boring, repetitive, and ultimately forgettable.
Haley Rakestraw
Dec 13, 2009 Haley Rakestraw rated it it was amazing
This books is soo like interesting like you cant stop reading it once you start
Steven
Jul 20, 2013 Steven rated it liked it
Pre-read for my daughter. Very easy read and seems to capture a third-grade class mentality fairly well. Not quite on the same level as, say, Encyclopedia Brown, but pretty entertaining.
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2008
Marian
Marian rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2016
Shahrbano
Shahrbano rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2009
Noah
Noah rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2014
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Ailin
Ailin rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Sunnyolaf
Sunnyolaf rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Christian
Christian rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2009
Humayara
Humayara rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2015
Katina M
Katina M rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Evelynn
Evelynn rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2013
Brendan Kratts
Brendan Kratts rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2009
Ryan Family
Ryan Family rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Jordan Connell
Jordan Connell rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Lilly Dilly
Lilly Dilly rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2015
Shannon Rickert
Shannon Rickert rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2012
Matt S
Matt S rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
An extraordinarily prolific writer, George Edward Stanley has also found time to travel and teach, drawing many of the plots for his books from his diverse experiences and natural curiosity. In addition to penning numerous books under his own name, Stanley has also published under several pseudonyms, including the well-known house pseudonyms Carolyn Keene and Franklin W. Bramley.
More about George E. Stanley...

Third-Grade Detectives (10 books)
  • The Puzzle of the Pretty Pink Handkerchief
  • The Mystery of the Hairy Tomatoes
  • The Cobweb Confession
  • The Riddle Of The Stolen Sand (Third-Grade Detectives #5)
  • The Secret of the Green Skin