Start by marking “The Holiness of God” as Want to Read:
The Holiness of God

The Holiness of God

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  7,336 ratings  ·  261 reviews
What is the holiness of God? Are you intrigued by it, or are you terrified? R.C. Sproul clearly identifies this attribute of God and all the associations one may make with it. This absolutely will inform and radically cause a re-thinking of one’s view of God.
Audio CD, 226 pages
Published August 1st 2006 by Hovel Audio (first published November 30th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Holiness of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Holiness of God

American Gods by Neil GaimanAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy BlumeThe God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyTheir Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale HurstonCity of God by Augustine of Hippo
God
162nd out of 224 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
This "one sitting" book kept me turning the pages until wee hours of the morning. Few authors possess the keen ability to help readers come into a grasp of the nature of God's holiness, but through this book Dr. Sproul is able to help us better understand what God's holiness means and transport the reader into the presence of God.

We often hear many talk about how God is love, yet why do fewer ever speak of His holiness and justice? The Holiness of God reminds me yet again that my salvation (thro...more
John
Holiness, as Sproul writes, is a difficult concept for humans to understand and define. It is best understood by experience or by story. Sproul does attempt to define it, but it is best truly understood by stories, anecdotes, and analogy.

To this end, most of the book is Sproul examining personal stories that demonstrate holiness, but more importantly, and more extensively, he looks at the Bible to show what Scripture has to say about holiness.

Early on he looks at the Lord's Prayer, and notes tha...more
Dana
This is a classic I have had on my bookshelof for quite awhile and just now got around to reading. I chose to read it at this time because next month I am going to the Ligonier Mininstries National Conference and the conference theme this year is the Holiness of God. This was an excellent book- though a heavy topic this book was well written, easy to comprehend, and a joy to read. My copy included study questions at the end of each chapter that would be good to journal or good to use in a group...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Good read, Dr. Sproul knows the scripture and teaches it. While I don't agree with him on everything (and woe be to me if he heard that as I've listened to him and he doesn't appreciate that kind of thing) this is a good and worthwhile read.

I think his view of God puts Him at too much of a distance. The picture in God's Holiness is true but I think not complete here as God has made provision through Jesus and the Holy Spirit for man to approach Him. Still like I said...good read and a lot to te...more
Sherly Holmes
RC Sproul left me hungry for more of God's Holiness. As I was about to finish reading this book, I could hear myself at the back of my mind saying, "Whaaa! I want more, more!"

This book holds no limit in discussing God's holiness. I mean, it is not the typical type of read. It did not settle with the common knowledge we have about God. Rather, it provided a fresher, braver look into God's supremacy and His holiness. Thus, it had me craving for more and more, I did not want to stop reading it.
David
I struggled in the beginning as I sought to read this book which deals with deep theological issues. Such reading often lacks any entertainment value and thus one must push forward to gain benefit.

However, soon, I was joining the author in the struggle to have just an inkling of the holiness of God and to examine its implications for mankind, and for my own personal walk with Christ.

Sproul wrestles with some of the most difficult passages in the Scripture as he seeks to explain how believers hav...more
Caleb
I got my hands on this classic by Dr. R.C. Sproul a few months ago, and I was excited when I found the time to sit down and read it. I have read and listened to Sproul for a little while now, and I have very high respect for his scholarship. The Holiness of God is his most famous work, and I think it has an important place in the minds and on the bookshelves of Christians today. I think that God's holiness is a concept that most Christians accept but without truly understanding its depth. So oft...more
Bendick Ong
“Jonathan edwards once said that ‘nothing’ is what sleeping rocks dream about. That doesnt help much. My son offered me a better definition of ‘nothing.’ When he was in junior high, i asked him when he came home from school, ‘what did you do today, son?’ The reply was the same every day: ‘nuthin.’ So the best explanation i can give of ‘nothing’ is ‘that which my son used to do every day in junior high.’

A classic light-hearted moment in sproul’s writings, even as he tackles something as incompreh...more
Michael
If there is one characteristic of God that must be embraced and is, in fact, at core of who God is, mark it down, it is not God's love but His holiness. From Jesus' prayer in which His first petition was "hallowed by thy name", it is clear that while God is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, we must also understand that He will by no means clear the guilty. Hol...more
Rachel
A wonderful work on the holiness of God by Dr. Sproul! Definitely added to the favorites shelf. My favorite part was how he expounded on the justice of God and how gracious God really is to us, but that too often, we presume on His grace.

One of my favorite quotes:
“The clearest sensation that a human being has when he experiences the holy is an overpowering and overwhelming sense of creatureliness. That is, when we are in the presence of God, we are humbled and become most aware of ourselves as...more
Brian
Dr. RC Sprouls crowning achievement and an enduring christian classic. I read this as a young Calvinist as it was RC that got me thinking about my original arminian teachings that I left behind after reading his book Chosen by God.

I can't help thinking that the holiness of God is the real "Left Behind" position in the Church today. God is often made in the image of the worshiper, reading this great book will change that for a lifetime.
Vaughn
Though the Bible tells us that without holiness "no man shall see the Lord,” the holiness of God is seldom (if ever) a sermon topic. Where holiness on the level of God is incomprehensible, Sproul is not; this work is compelling, easy to understand, and edifying in a numerous ways. I highly recommend this book, and I am willing to discuss it in more detail.
Don Current
Some great things to think about. I agree that sometimes we become to "familiar" with God and forget that He is the Perfect, Holy, Supreme Creator of Everything and our righteousness is as filthy rags. I need to find a better way to honor His Holiness.
Aaron Matthews
One of the most incredible books I've read in awhile. Deep, personal, and left me wanting to re-read it annually. Sproul is one of the finest theologians I've encountered. I enjoy his preaching, teaching, and now, his writing.
Aleksey Fomichenko
Замечательная книга, помогающая поближе узнать, о чем говорит Библия, говоря о святости Божьей, и развеять некоторые ложные представления о Боге. Необходимо прочитать всем жаждущим более глубокого познания Бога.
Matt
RC at his best. Challenging, insightful, and mind-expanding exposition of Scripture and theological interpretation of literature, though I don't think he got Moby Dick quite right.
Iapgar
The author is a theologian I respect and he manages to convey the awesomeness of God as opposed to the God-as-buddy image which is all too prevalent.
Andre
Classic! I still remember how I devoured this book the first time I read it and how I have read it so many times since then. My copy is hardbound.
Jeremy
This book is considered one of Sproul's best. I appreciated Sproul's employment of literary knowledge to the subject of God's holiness.
Jesse Arsenault
Dr. Sproul's description of God's holiness, and how it relates to us, is sobering and moving. His skillful use of analogy and Biblical reference bring his arguments down to a level that everyone can understand. Sproul's depiction of God as an untouchably holy and righteous being easily brings the reader to the appropriate conclusion: that before a just God we stand as sinners without excuse, a backdrop against which the grace and mercy of God shines with even greater intensity.

My major complaint...more
Stephen Wolfe
After the Bible, this book should be the first read by any new Christian.
Gerald
I'm going to re-read Chapter 6. Again. And again.
Cecilia
Definitely learned some things about Jesus that I never really considered before, and was refreshed on the fundamentals of the nature of God. Sproul has a way of putting a new spin on old concepts, giving insight and weight into points easily overlooked. Surprising, this book wasn't dense at all, unlike C.S. Lewis. Perfect for the armchair theology reader. Sproul is very easy to understand and his arguments are as clear as day since he uses vocabulary non-Christians should be able to understand....more
Noelle
"At that moment Peter realized that he was in the presence of the Holy Incarnate. He was desperately uncomfortable. His initial response was one of worship. He fell to his knees before Christ. Instead of saying something like, "Lord, I adore You, I magnify You," he said, "Please go away. Please leave. I can't stand it." " -- Pg. 56

I found this book in the "Free" box at my favorite little bookstore downtown. Friends, it is certainly worth a financial investment. R.C. Sproul has taken a difficult...more
Jude Cooney
May 27, 2012 Jude Cooney rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All spiritual concerned people
This is a book that challenges the very heart of the reader. Especially those who are spiritualy concerned with knowing the awesome Holiness of God's Character. Chuck Colson was so moved when reading this book that, at the end of the second chapter he was down on his knees and worshiping God.

Colson was a member of President Nixon's Cabinet (Watergate) Colson, as a result of the subsequent investigation spent time in prison and later chaired Prison Fellowship International.

The book itself, is a...more
Nathan
It is a rare book that can run the full gamut of thought and emotion. I was chilled with fear and calmed with assurance all at once. A truly profound piece.

I originally borrowed this book for help in understanding Uzzah (the Biblical man struck dead for touching the ark of the covenant). I was so hooked by the topic that I finished the whole chapter (Holy Justice, chapter 6). Soon, I'd just finished the entire book.

Sproul always proves himself theologically sound (though admittedly sometimes ove...more
Mike Knox
(Note: the following page numbers reference an older edition of this book.)

The holiness of God has a history of deeply affecting people. I remember being a young teen and watching a video of Sproul teaching on this subject with my youth group. I will never forget the sense of God’s greatness I experienced that night.

In chapter 1, Sproul recounts how Augustine’s teaching on creation led him (Sproul) to an experience of the holiness of God of his own. In chapter 2, he goes back and discusses one o...more
Linda
Some people incorrectly develop a dual view of God as He is presented in the Old and New Testaments. In the Old Testament they see a fierce, angry God who imposes random laws on people and doesn’t hesitate to destroy anyone who opposes Him. This caricature God seems to be demanding and difficult to please, ready to suddenly display His wrath in various and creative ways. Then they read the New Testament and see a God of love and forgiveness, a God who doesn’t want bad things to happen, and is do...more
Greg
An extremely good book on many aspects of the Holiness of God. In particular this book addresses many of the aspects of God's holiness that are overlooked, assumed or ignored in our present-day church meetings and teachings. Understanding the holiness of God is foundational for all aspects of the Christian life including worship, our actions, our desires, our humility, our ability to fight sin and live with purity etc etc. So then why is this vital topic overlooked so easily today - this book wi...more
Shawn
This book provides some great insight into many key questions about the nature of God’s holiness. Some of the questions addressed in the book include: What is holiness? What happens to us when we encounter holiness? How does the world respond to holiness? How do we become holy? What happens when we reject holiness? And many others.

This book uses much scriptural reference to address the personal struggle a spiritual pilgrim experiences when facing that seemingly unbridgeable chasm between God’s...more
  • The Attributes of God
  • The Religious Affections
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • The Bondage of the Will
  • Systematic Theology
  • The Potter's Freedom: A Defense of the Reformation and the Rebuttal of Norman Geisler's Chosen But Free
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God
  • What Is the Gospel?
Dr. R.C. Sproul was born in 1939 in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. He is president of Ligonier Academy of Biblical and Theological Studies and the founder and chairman of the ministry that began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. In an effort to respond more effectively to the growing demand for Dr. Sproul’s teachings and the ministry’s other educational resources, th...more
More about R.C. Sproul...
Chosen By God: Know God's Perfect Plan for His Glory and His Chil dren What Is Reformed Theology?: Understanding the Basics Knowing Scripture Essential Truths of the Christian Faith The Truth of the Cross

“God’s grace is not infinite. God is infinite, and God is gracious. We experience the grace of an infinite God, but grace is not infinite. God sets limits to His patience and forbearance. He warns us over and over again that someday the ax will fall and His judgment will be poured out.” 30 likes
“Sin is cosmic treason. Sin is treason against a perfectly pure Sovereign. It is an act of supreme ingratitude toward the One to whom we owe everything, to the One who has given us life itself. Have you ever considered the deeper implications of the slightest sin, of the most minute peccadillo? What are we saying to our Creator when we disobey Him at the slightest point? We are saying no to the righteousness of God. We are saying, “God, Your law is not good. My judgement is better than Yours. Your authority does not apply to me. I am above and beyond Your jurisdiction. I have the right to do what I want to do, not what You command me to do.” 23 likes