Goodnight, My Duckling

Goodnight, My Duckling

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Now in board! Award-winning author/illustrator Nancy Tafuri's charming bedtime companion to her classic Caldecott Honor winner HAVE YOU SEEN MY DUCKLING?

Now, a board edition of the charming book praised as "a worthy companion to HAVE YOU SEEN MY DUCKLING?" by Kirkus (starred review).
It's bedtime on the pond, and one dawdling duckling falls behind, drawn to the pond creatur...more
Board Book, 24 pages
Published February 1st 2006 by Scholastic Press (first published February 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Goodnight, My Duckling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodnight, My Duckling

Karen
Once of the first books I bought for my son, before he was even born, was Nancy Tafuri's I Love You, Little One. I started reading it to him when he was only a few weeks old, and now that he is almost four-and-a-half, we still read it. I picked up I Love You, Little One because of the wonderful cover art. I picked up Goodnight, my Duckling for the same reason.

The text in Goodnight, My Duckling is simple enough for my son to read on his own, and it is charming enough that he wants to read it. Tho...more
Jamie
A mother duck announces it is time for bed, and one little duckling wonders off across the pond. All of the pond animals say good night to the wandering duckling. Finally, turtle asks the duckling if it is lost, and takes the duckling home to its family. Once the lost duckling is home safe, the whole duckling family falls asleep for the evening.
The beautiful illustrations are done in great detail. The illustrations are done with watercolor. The ducklings and other animals have very sweet frien...more
jacky
This was a play group story today. I didn't hear or see all of it because Natalie decided to get up and go back to playing, but I liked what I did see and hear. It appears to be a traditional good night book as the ducklings head home to their mother and are said good night to by various animals in different ways. The illustrations are mostly realistic and have lots of fine details.

Heard the rest of the story today at play group. I liked the variation this book takes near the end. The duckling...more
Rob
A gift for H. from sarah, this has become one of The Boy's favorite bedtime stories. And I can see why. It's straightforward, has the right amount of suspense, and a quick resolution with a clear hero. Literarily astute parents will also notice the obvious Chekhov's gun in our hero, The Turtle.

A clear winner.
Mary
This book was super short, but it would be good to read to a very young child. The pictures are large and colorful, and there are many animals introduced in the pictures, which could spark lots of dialogic reading. One little duckling gets lost, but luckily there are lots of friends around to help guide the way home.
Jeanette
Nancy Tafuri has become one of my favorite authors of books for the toddler age. Simple, straightforward stories with illustrations that catch the eye of my young children.
In this one, a duck is leading her ducklings home for bed when one little duckling is left behind.
Jenna
This is a simple book for younger children to read and comprehend. It tells a short story of a duckling that cannot find its way home for bed. It gets the help of friends and sets a good moral for young readers.
Leah
A sweet and simple story about a duckling swimming home for the night. A number of animals say good night along the way. Tafuri's illustrations are perfect, as always. Well suited to toddler times.
Meg McGregor
One of the most beautiful bedtime stories. What child does not love ducklings?

Simple text and breathtaking illustrations will lull your little one to sleep!
Tricia
Adorable option for bedtime storytime for toddlers...little text, bold and bright illustrations with a gentle flow.
Susan
Literacy skills:

Print motivation-this calming bedtime story is a favorite for children.
Chris
Jun 02, 2009 Chris added it
Wonderful story. My two year old was so worried, then relieved as the story happily ended.
Charity
Sarah loved this one and giggled every time she saw the ducky riding the helpful turtle.
Jessica
Apr 01, 2008 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddlers
Shelves: boston
I read this 4-5 times a day. Boston just walks aorund with it saying "duckckckck"
Polly
Very sweet. And how many books contain a realistic picture of a porcupine?
Beth
The illustrations are even more vibrant and beautiful in this book.
Nancy
Nancy added it
Jun 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Nancy Tafuri is probably best known as the creator of Have You Seen My Duckling?, a 1985 Caldecott Honor Book described by Parent’s Choice as “beautifully precise yet emotionally affecting.” Trained as a graphic designer, Tafuri has authored more than 45 books over 30 years for the very young.

When Tafuri first attempted picture book illustration in the late 1970’s picture books were aimed at five-...more
More about Nancy Tafuri...
Have You Seen My Duckling? The Busy Little Squirrel Blue Goose All Kinds of Kisses I Love You, Little One