Start by marking “Danny's Drawing Book” as Want to Read:
Danny's Drawing Book

Danny's Drawing Book

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Danny loves drawing pictures in his yellow drawing book. One snowy day, when he and his friend Ettie go to the zoo, Danny draws an elephant and an aardvark. Danny and Ettie watch in amazement as the animals come to life in the pages - and then they join them to embark on a wildly exciting journey to somewhere very different.
Published by Walker & Company

To ask other readers questions about Danny's Drawing Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Danny's Drawing Book

Jacqui
Aug 15, 2008 Jacqui rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: primary and elementary teachers/librarians
Recommended to Jacqui by: Kathleen
Shelves: writing-related
This book is a good lead into a writing activity. I liked the manner in which the boy and girl discuss the steps they are taking to draw and write a story about the zoo. First is the research -- trip to the zoo. I think the story itself is creative. I like the talk bubbles that are used as well as the different font depending upon whose voice is coming through. It was clever that the girl and boy placed themselves within the story. The expressions on the elephant and aardvark were reflective of ...more
Karla
Apr 29, 2008 Karla rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and the adults who love them
Shelves: picture-books
Danny brings his yellow drawing book with him on a trip to the zoo. He draws an elephant and an aardvark and begins to tell a story about them. When the animals decide they want to go to Africa, Danny draws himself and his friend, Ettie, into the story and off they go! A great book about a child's creativity and imagination. Love the illustrations by Sue Heap who also wrote some of my other favorites: Let's Play Fairies, Cowboy Baby, and Four Friends Together.
Patricia
This was a cute book, imaginative, but it made me imagine a precocious 4 or 5 year old and it brought out the strangest little kid voice in me when I read it aloud. It was just ok, I guess.
Good for encouraging the development of narrative skills, would be fun to have a program involving reading this and then creating drawing books like Danny's.
The Library Lady
Crockett Johnson's Harold would love this book, only Danny isn't limited to a purple crayon. Fun and creative.
Lindsay
A subtle animal-liberation theme here. But more importantly, kids creating together and writing their own stories.
Susan
Terrific book for young artists and storytellers and imaginative ones, in short, children.
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 11, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Gary Masskin
Gary Masskin marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Laura Pyper
Laura Pyper marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Khoa Kobe
Khoa Kobe marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Minu
Minu marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Grace Ciesla
Grace Ciesla marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Little
Little added it
Jun 14, 2013
Jorge
Jorge added it
Jan 23, 2013
Ms. D
Ms. D marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2011
Sue Heap has illustrated many books for children, including the New York Times best-selling How To Be a Baby, by Me, the Big Sister by Sally Lloyd-Jones. She is also the author-illustrator of Danny's Drawing Book and the illustrator of Polly's Pink Pajamas by Vivian French. Sue Heap lives in England.
More about Sue Heap...
Mine! Cowboy Baby (Walker Paperbacks) What Shall We Play? One To Ten And Back Again (Picture Puffin) Red Rockets And Rainbow Jelly