Start by marking “The Baltimore Atrocities” as Want to Read:
The Baltimore Atrocities

The Baltimore Atrocities

Praise for John Dermot Woods:

Electric Literature 25 Best Novels of 2014

"Poignant and unsettling, and much like a good short story collection these tales resonate long after the book is closed."— Largehearted Boy

"An accomplished artist and writer, in addition to being an entertaining and often an electrifying one. John Woods does something very original in his combining of
Published October 21st 2014 by Coffee House Press (first published September 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Baltimore Atrocities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baltimore Atrocities

Kati Heng
Nov 03, 2014 Kati Heng rated it really liked it
I’ve never been to Baltimore but I’d love to see this seedy little place in person. I wonder if the city is really like John Waters’ depictions, a place where the seedy underbelly grows so fat it spills over, covering the whole town. I thought maybe it’s just Waters’ style and the reaction of his twisted groupies, but then comes John Dermot Woods’ The Baltimore Atrocities, another look into the cruel, creepy and cringe-worthy actions of despicable people, once again set in Baltimore.

Woods’ story
Ruth
Aug 09, 2016 Ruth rated it it was ok
When I started this book, I thought, "It's delightfully odd!"
But, the closer to the end I came, the more exhausted I felt reading this.

It's a story of two young men who meet in their senior year of high school. They come to find out they both lost a sibling to abduction - both abductions taking place in the same park in Baltimore.
It becomes an obsession for both. They move to Baltimore and try to find those siblings.

This book has a really unique formatting. Each chapter is a few pages of the ac
Cara Lee
Apr 23, 2016 Cara Lee rated it it was amazing
After a lifetime of hearing, reading, and watching stories, in books, on radio, in TV, and in film, I'm increasingly in search of oddity - not a twist, which has almost become a formula unto itself - but a story doing something I might once have believed a story ought never do, and then discovering that it works. This story is like that. I enjoyed The Baltimore Atrocities with a sense of wonder at unearthing a series of oddities. The story's premise, structure, point-of-view, voice, and ...more
Jeff
Dec 15, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it
I moved to Baltimore a few months ago and so I was curious about this book when I heard about it. Turns out, it really has very little to do with Baltimore, but I liked it anyway. Creepy and ambiguous. I feel like there are seeds of some hazy metaphor buried in this book -- something about lost children, something about finding purpose in life. But any deep meaning was pleasantly obscure.

I was about halfway through reading this when I flipped it open and noticed its dedication to Thomas Bernhard
Brooks
Dec 02, 2014 Brooks rated it it was amazing
"My least favorite civic institutions, which, to my knowledge, only exist in Baltimore, are dead animal lending libraries and, as such, I've always had a distaste for the people who frequent and work at these institutions."
Lauren
Jan 20, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it
Probably a 3.5/4. I really enjoyed this book. The pace, the writing style, and the brief yet dark anecdotes throughout that wove the story the together.
Berenice
Apr 13, 2015 Berenice rated it did not like it
You probably shouldn't take my word for it: I skimmed it, because I really didn't like it, but was assigned to read for class.
Erik H
Feb 23, 2015 Erik H rated it really liked it
Good book, a mystery interwoven between the glimpses of tales of modern tragedy and absurdity. A mix of illustration and narration that left me intrigued by and excited for what was to come.
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Scoutaccount
Scoutaccount rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Margaret Miller
Margaret Miller rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Drew Buxton
Drew Buxton rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Nina
Nina rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Kevinsays
Kevinsays rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Andy
Andy rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Tobias
Tobias rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2014
Hugh
Hugh rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2014
Lara
Lara rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2015
Amar Pai
Amar Pai rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Lincoln
Lincoln rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2014
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Kevin Morris
Kevin Morris rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Jeff Schofield
Jeff Schofield rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Muldvarper
Muldvarper rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2015
  • The Abduction of Grace
  • Killing the Buddha: A Heretic's Bible
  • Report from Planet Midnight
  • The Lucky Strike
  • Black Hole
  • The Dunning Man
  • Copycat
  • 30 Lessons for Loving: Advice from the Wisest Americans on Love, Relationships, and Marriage
  • Vibrator
  • The Lessons
  • As She Left It
  • Still Life With Husband
  • Oh What a Paradise It Seems
  • Ambiguous Adventure
  • Uneasy Money
  • Schoolgirl
  • The Rising (The Alchemy Wars, #2)
  • Fancies and Goodnights
John Dermot Woods writes stories and draws comics in Brooklyn, NY. His first collection of comics, Activities, is now available from Publishing Genius Press. He is the author of the image-text novels The Complete Collection of People, Places, and Things, and, in collaboration with J. A. Tyler, No One Told Me I Was Going To Disappear. He and Lincoln Michel published their funny comic strip, Animals ...more
More about John Dermot Woods...