Start by marking “If You Give a Mouse an iPhone: A Cautionary Tail” as Want to Read:
If You Give a Mouse an iPhone: A Cautionary Tail

If You Give a Mouse an iPhone: A Cautionary Tail

If you give in to temptation and give a bored little mouse your iPhone, even for ten minutes, he’s probably going to beam to some faraway place beyond time, space, and the sound of your pleading voice. And if he’s that far gone, he won’t have any idea what’s going on around him, and he might end up missing out on all the real fun.

From the New York Times-bestselling author
Published October 21st 2014 by Blue Rider Press

To ask other readers questions about If You Give a Mouse an iPhone, please sign up.

Kerrikoala It's a parody. It's not meant to add a negative take on children's literature. In fact, it's the opposite; kids should put down their electronics and…moreIt's a parody. It's not meant to add a negative take on children's literature. In fact, it's the opposite; kids should put down their electronics and notice the world around them, and/or read a book every once in a while. The parody books are likely meant to get kids interested in the original books. At the end of Goodnight iPad they are reading Goodnight Moon. How is that negative?(less)

Melki
Nov 11, 2014 Melki rated it really liked it
Yeah, I admit it's a pet peeve of mine, seeing someone surrounded by other people, friends, loved ones and strangers...yet, that person is oblivious to it all because they're staring down at a tablet or phone. The peeve morphs into pure ire when I see parents ignoring their children in favor of more important happenings online. As the mother of grown sons I can tell you - your kids are only there for a short while.

PAY ATTENTION TO THEM!

In this cautionary tale, a little mouse's total absorption
Bill DePhillips
Sep 12, 2016 Bill DePhillips rated it really liked it
A funny and effective warning about too much screen time.
PopcornReads
Book Review & Giveaway: Award-winning children’s picture book author and illustrator David Milgrim has a secret identity, Ann Droyd. But, ssssh, don’t tell anyone! In addition to his children’s books, David Milgrim wrote Siri & Me: A Modern Love Story. Ann Droyd has written a delightful bestselling parody, Goodnight iPad, and has just published a new tech parody, If You Give a Mouse an iPhone: A Cautionary Tale.

This is a very different book from the ones we normally review but I couldn’
Adira
Parody of my favorite childhood book, If You Give A Mouse A Cookie and I absolutely loved it. I read it in the bookstore aisle, but would recommend it for the new age toddler who will probably be able to understand Mouse's struggles and adventure with astounding clearly.
Jovita
Nov 08, 2014 Jovita rated it it was amazing
Hysterical! Unfortunately, it's reality. This is why I refuse to get a smart phone. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book.
Runa
Mar 13, 2016 Runa rated it did not like it
Ugh, technophobic book playing into the idea that kids become mindless when they're given "screen time" no thank youuuu!
Yvonne Mullen
Dec 16, 2014 Yvonne Mullen rated it it was amazing
What a fun twist on a very familiar book. I like the repetition of language for beginning to transitional readers. The story could easily be read to beginning readers and then they would be able to "read" the story back. That is how many students begin reading.

The story could easily be used for:
*teaching predictions
*using technology purposefully
*adding dialogue through speech bubbles (great way to teach k-2 student about *dialogue and then transition into using quotation marks)
*using different
Rebecca McNutt
The fact that a book like this one even exists, makes me lose hope in humanity. Once again it's further proof that Generation X has become far too addicted and immersed in their stupid electronic toys - nowadays going so far as to use digital technology as a babysitter and spreading the disease to their children.

On the other hand, this book does still send a powerful message to parents who may be thinking of giving their children a Kindle, iPhone or whatever other new garbage they have out on t
Marie Gentilcore
Nov 17, 2014 Marie Gentilcore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, kids
I was very happy to receive this nice hard back picture book from Goodreads First Reads. The kids (girl 8 and boy 9) and I read it today and they both gave it 5 stars! They each took a turn reading it and then I read it too. It is a parody of the "If you give a mouse a ..." books and it had a good message about the consequences of too much screen time. The illustrations were colorful and fun and the kids loved reading the character's speech bubbles as well as the story. 5 stars for all 3 of us.
Jan Polep
Dec 09, 2014 Jan Polep rated it really liked it
Perfect book for the baby to dead crowd...which means all of you. Put the phone down once in awhile or you will miss zoo animal escapes, fall in the sea, and wind up having a meltdown when you wind up on a desert island with no electricity. Play outside...read a book...lunch with friends...live a little. And check out the author's name.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
I could not love this book more. It is a great story about how technology can take over and put children in a trance where they miss out on so much around them. I read this book to my boys and they also loved it. What a great spin on our new world of technology. 5 stars
Allison Hawn
Nov 08, 2014 Allison Hawn rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up while wandering around Hastings looking for Christmas gifts. This is a very cute spin on a children's classic ("If You Give a Mouse a Cookie").

I would highly suggest this book for parents wanting to explain to their kids why they shouldn't get a cell phone right away.
kristen
Mar 29, 2016 kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Fantastic! Everyone, please get off your iPhones and read this book :-)
Jasmine Cardenas
Jan 14, 2015 Jasmine Cardenas rated it did not like it
What is this? Worse book ever
Amber
Nov 03, 2016 Amber rated it it was ok
It tried. It really did try. I mostly just wish it hadn't parodied a very much loved book.
Brittany
Sep 10, 2016 Brittany rated it did not like it
I was TOTALLY let down by this book. You can't just make me think it will be like the Laura Numeroff books and then drop the ball like that. Geez!
Kat B
Feb 14, 2015 Kat B rated it it was amazing
If you give a mouse an iPhone or anyone an iPhone instances are about to occur. Most not as drastic as what happens to our rodent friend but when you have an iPhone in front of you who know what could happens. There's a good probability you don't even know what's happening.

In reality all it takes is 10 minutes to get addicted to games, pictures, social media or whatever else a mouse, or child or even an adult needs, to get addicted to a phone.

Find out about the adventure Mouse missed out on and
Sydney Hames
SUMMARY
If You Give a Mouse an iPhone is a twist on the classic book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. In this story, Applesauce, the mouse, starts to play on his owners iPhone. He becomes absorbed in the technology and gets himself into some interesting situations. How will the owner stop Applesauce from the distraction of the phone?

ACTIVITY - for 2nd graders
First, I would have the students work in pairs to create the story on a story map to help them remember the events that occurred. After they fi
Mandy
Jul 28, 2016 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
A cute parody version of the classic If You Give a Mouse a Cookie dealing with the presence of technology in our lives. A young boy is tired of answering questions from his pet mouse, so he finally gives him his iPhone to provide entertainment. Unfortunately, the mouse is so enthralled that he doesn't realize when they go on a special trip to a zoo-themed amusement park. He forgets to buckle in on the roller coaster, ends up on a deserted island, and doesn't even realize it until the battery is ...more
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-2nd grade
Animals: Mouse
Familiar experience: Too much screen time

A surprisingly well executed parody about being sucked into screen time. A boy gives the mouse Applesauce an iPhone to shut him up for 10 minutes. What he doesn't anticipate is that Applesauce wants the phone for much longer, not realizing all the fun activities that surround him. A fun, exaggerated way to look at too much screen time, relatable by the reader and the listener. Tsk, tsk on the pass-back effect, little
Anne
Jul 28, 2015 Anne rated it liked it
Readers of various ages should recognize themselves in both characters, the young boy and his mouse Applesauce. At one time or another, we have all been lost to the world on our devices. More sadly, we have felt excluded and ignored by people more interested in being glued to a screen than in the delicate intricacy of human interaction. Maybe it seems like a good idea to give a child a Kindle or an iPad or a Smartphone to keep them occupied, but their attention, once lost, is not so easy to get ...more
Susan
Sep 12, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This is a fun, silly parody of the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie books, whose "plot" is quite evident from the title. Like its predecessor, Goodnight, iPad, this is not so much for kids as for the adults who've read the original books with them.
thewanderingjew
Nov 01, 2014 thewanderingjew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This is a clever and subtle message to parents and children about how much life they will miss out on if they keep their eyes on their devices and not on the world around them! Our technological devices sometimes block all of our other senses, and we are unaware of what we are missing! I loved the book design and the brevity of it! It didn't need many pages to get the message across to the reader.
I also loved Applesauce!
Lynne
What happens when you give a mouse an iPhone? The same thing that happens when you give one to a kid (or an adult for that matter)! They are glued to it, they become unaware of their surroundings, time and life passes by, and...

Any fans of Lane Smith's wonderful It's a Book will like this as well. I can't wait to read it to my little tech junkies!
Fred Pollock

Maria
What happens if you give a mouse your iPhone even just for 10 minutes? This is a fun short story, that I could totally see my parents using for an FHE lesson.

Why I started it: Parody of one of my favorite series and my phone? Count me in.

Why I finished it: Loved that the mouse's name was Applesauce.
Nick
Nov 04, 2014 Nick rated it it was amazing
I received this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

I loved the artwork in this book. You really need to look at the pictures to see all that's going on.

The text itself is nice and short, probably great for a children's book. The message is pretty clear about how technology is becoming more prevalent in young people's lives.

All in all, a very pleasant little book.
Shirley
Nov 02, 2014 Shirley rated it it was amazing
If You Give a Mouse an iPhone is a telling tale for kids and adults about our technologically addictive culture. The story is a cute one, the illustrations colorful, and the characters adorable. I'm always looking for good reads for the little ones that they don't already own. I plan to look for Ann Droyd's Goodnight iPad to accompany this book for Christmas gifts.
Kayla
Nov 04, 2014 Kayla rated it really liked it
This is a cute parody for anyone who grew up with the book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie." Unlike the original, though, this is a cautionary tale that describes what the mouse will miss if they do not put the iphone down. It is fun and i enjoyed it, even if it was slightly off from its original source. There is also a great "moral" at the end.
Sally Hannoush
Nov 10, 2014 Sally Hannoush rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful and is an example of a lot of people I know or can see around me. People are like zombies when it comes to their iPhone and forget to live. I am unable to figure out how to get other people to see this point a view. I think this book does a great job pointing it out and should be handed out as a pamphlet! I also loved the illustrations. Great read!
  • Fraidyzoo
  • The Storyteller
  • What's Your Favorite Animal?
  • The Children Who Loved Books
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 4 (Aya, #4)
  • Cock-a-Doodle-Doo-Bop!
  • The Pirate Cruncher
  • Ice Cream Summer
  • Little Tree
  • What James Said
  • A Poem in Your Pocket (Mr. Tiffin's Classroom Series)
  • Penguin and Pinecone
  • Simon's New Bed
ANN DROYD is the author of Goodnight iPad, and is also the pseudonym for David Milgrim, an IRA/CBC Children’s Choice winner who has written and illustrated more than twenty-five picture books for young readers, as well as Siri & Me. Milgrim, who studied graphic design at Parsons, lives with his family in Massachusetts.
More about Ann Droyd...