Start by marking “Business as Unusual” as Want to Read:
Business as Unusual

Business as Unusual

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This book charts the story of Anita Roddick and her company, The Body Shop, through the lows and highs of the last decade.
Published April 25th 2000 by Thorsons Publishers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Business as Unusual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Business as Unusual

Taiki Namiki
An entrepreneur, Anita Roddick tells us about her spirit in this book.

She has been chalenging a lot of typical social images.
According to her, real unique ideas are not accepted by anyone at the first time. Everyone opposes to it and tries to find a faults of that idea. However, as it goes on, some people start to follow or support it. The important thing is that not to stop creating unique idea out of other's opposition.

She was born in a family that was running a restaurant. Therefore, from
Susan
What an inspiring woman was Anita Roddick. The book took me a while to get into, because the first section is more like a lecture on why ethical business practices are important. However, I am already a convert, so the lecture was unnecessary.

The meat of the book was incredibly interesting. Anita tells the story of how The Body Shop came to be, the growth, the change, the mistakes they made, and the success. It just reaffirms that I will be a Body Shop customer for life. It also makes me want t
Kim Olson
At a time when many companies are trying to be more socially responsible, my thoughts have been turning to Anita Roddick (sadly, no longer with us), who founded the first company of scale to really walk the walk. Not satisfied with mere social responsibility, The Body Shop actually stepped it up a notch by getting politically engaged--and encouraging its customers to, as well--often to harsh criticism and even threats. Roddick was uncompromising in her commitment, and the company culture she cre ...more
Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership
One of Cambridge Sustainability's Top 50 Books for Sustainability, as voted for by our alumni network of over 3,000 senior leaders from around the world. To find out more, click here.

Business as Unusual is part autobiography, part business biogrpahy and part manifesto for how business can be an agent for positive change in the world. The book is presented in a highly visual style and is story-driven, with countless interesting anecdotes. Roddick's key message is that, by expanding the role and r
Kenia Perez
Wow, Anita Roddick definitly took business to a whole new social and political level. She's definitely a die-hard activist. Although I don't know if I could have that same attitude and boldness, and I didn't agree with everything she wrote about, I have a tremendous amount of respect for her because she stands up tall for what she believes in. I truly hope more and more businesses follow her example and become more socially and environmentally responsible. In fact, some are already moving in tha ...more
Jene
I met Anita back in 2003. She was a host for a small fund raiser for the nonprofit I ran and I was immediately blown away by her. We sat in a corner and talked for what seemed like hours, but was not nearly long enough. She inspired me to always try to do more.

She had the courage to stand up for her convictions. She has been a hero of mine for a very long time, but to meet her changed everything.

Yes, she made mistakes - and this book talks about those. but she was human and she was embarking on
Linda Robinson
Anita Roddick created a business model for the new millennium. We need more entrepreneurs just like her, who are audacious enough to insist on earth-friendly, "cradle to cradle" manufacturing processes that protect our environment, who altruistically create other businesses in that same realm, and who care fiercely about value and purity of product. This is her story, including the clear-eyed observation of how she had to get out of her own way. I wish she was still with us.
Rose
Very interesting and there is no denying that Roddick was a pioneer in her time. However, she comes across as both self-righteous and judgemental. Ultimately it's hard to believe in her fully given her sell out to L'Oreal in 2006 - exactly the sort of global organisation she rails against for much of the book. Actions speak louder than words.
Paul
Mar 22, 2008 Paul rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in business ethics and values
Great book from a very passionate and incredible person. You'll learn how sometimes business isnt planned and the way things end up are just fate. The Body Shop is a great company and it's a sad thing that Anita is no longer with us but she left an incredible legacy.
Sarah Vendetti
Girls - you want a role model in business? Want a role model for innovation and managment ideals?
READ! Then gab among your friends. The ideas she implemented were successes and flops. Worth a million words of discussion.
Keri
I return to this book to understand why anyone is crazy enough to be an entrepreneur. You can make a difference, change, impact by the power of your purchase. A must read.
Cathy Rosenberg
LOVED this book... she was a genius.. combining commercial success with heart and soul. The perfect recipe for integrity in a world where it's not so easy to find!
Ginny
This book led me to be the entrepreneur, leader and mentor that I am today...a must read! Especially for all you TBSAH consultants out there!
Beth
"The moral entrepreneur." She had courage, purpose, wisdom, foresight, and community spirit. A pleasure to read.
Elizabeth
Sep 14, 2007 Elizabeth added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wonders if their personal values can work within their business
After Roddick's death earlier this week, it is definitely a good time to re-visit this book.
Marijcke
Money and respect go together well!
Lisa
An inspiring read!
Hanh
Hanh marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Allison Curtis
Allison Curtis is currently reading it
Nov 10, 2014
Sabrine Laaouane
Sabrine Laaouane marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Sanket Gupta
Sanket Gupta marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Vikas Gupta
Vikas Gupta marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Greg Thain
Greg Thain marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Dream of the Earth
  • The Project50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Every "Task" into a Project That Matters!
  • Conversation: How Talk Can Change Our Lives
  • Focus: Use Different Ways of Seeing the World for Success and Influence
  • The Billionaire Who Wasn't: How Chuck Feeney Secretly Made and Gave Away a Fortune
  • Screw Work, Let's Play: How to Do What You Love and Get Paid for It
  • Manage It!
  • Two Is Lonely (Jane Graham, #3)
  • Among the Creationists: Dispatches from the Anti-Evolutionist Front Line
  • Mid-Course Correction: Toward a Sustainable Enterprise: The Interface Model
  • The New Leaders: Transforming The Art Of Leadership Into The Science Of Results
  • The Secret Plot to Save the Tsar: The Truth Behind the Romanov Mystery
  • Flip It: How To Get The Best Out Of Everything
  • Surface Treatment Workshop: Explore 45 Mixed-Media Techniques
  • South of Darkness
  • The Path of Prosperity
  • Picasso, My Grandfather
  • Getting Things Done
Take It Personally: How to Make Conscious Choices to Change the World Body and Soul: Profits with Principles--The Amazing Success Story of Anita Roddick & The Body S hop A Revolution in Kindness Globalization: Take It Personally "The Body Shop" Book