Start by marking “God Head” as Want to Read:
God Head

God Head

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In? "God Head," Scott Zwiren boldly and courageously records the terrifying, destructive experience of manic depression. From a promising young college student to mental hospitals to a confined, out-of-control, roller-coaster life on New York City's Upper West Side, Zwiren's narrator traces from the inside the horrors of an existence that swings between numbing depression...more
Published November 1st 1996 by Dalkey Archive Press

To ask other readers questions about God Head, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Head

American Gods by Neil GaimanAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy BlumeThe God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyTheir Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale HurstonChariots of the Gods by Erich von Däniken
God
160th out of 224 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

karen

scheiße

so this all takes place in the head of a manic depressive character. and it is pretty intense.

the book is broken up into seasons: winter 1984, summer 1985,etc. and there is a lot of missing time. it is not terribly difficult to fill in the gaps because the character is stuck in a loop of home, hospital, menial jobs, reaching out to contact people from his unafflicted past, suicidal thoughts, medication, delusions. there is no relief from any of it. the book begins in the summer 1991, and...more
Kylee
This was an interesting read. Although I felt it could be a bit scattered at times, that only leads to a better understanding of the issues the main character is experiencing. Having a dear friend who deals with depression frequently, it was interesting for me to see how the brain and thinking of someone suffering with the illness sees things. It is a very quick read, but I would recommend.
Samantha Penrose
I found this really difficult to read.
Being privy to the stream of consciousness of a manic mind served only to set my teeth on edge.
This is a work of fiction, and there is no introduction from the author giving explanation for his account of manic depressive illness. Personal experience? Research? Pure speculation? I have not studied any psychology whatsoever, so I'm not sure what to make of it. It's definitely extreme.
The best part of the book was pages 87 - 91. They discuss the suicidal ten...more
Steven
[Full disclosure: Scott is a longtime friend, and I first read this book when it was originally published.]

Although not exactly the sort of thing I normally read, I found Scott's fictionalized account of his battles with bipolar disorder absolutely fascinating, and gave me insights to him and his work that I'd never considered before. At times funny and sad, it's highly recommended for those interested in taking a journey down a different sort of rabbit hole.
Jeff Sorensen
The review fellow Goodreads member Karen gave this is beyond great...and I can't improve on it. One of the most facinating things about this short but intense book, I probably shouldn't reveal, but will: the first chapter is an account of where he currently is, where he has wound up, and in essence, the end of the novel. When you read it, you'll see why I think that is important. Also, it pretty much is the author's life for real which is terrifying.
Sam
Very interesting look into the mind of a manic depressive person. I would definitely pick this up again some time. It was kind of hard to read because of the rambling dialog of the protagonist, but it is worth it to get through. It is a pretty small book, and a fairly quick read.
Tom
Well-written, painful, and horrifying first-person account of manic-depression. Zwiren creates a compelling voice that pulls you up the peaks and down the valleys with an immediacy that allows you to feel the elations and paralyzations of this illness.
Nicole G.
First-person account of a person with bipolar disorder. It's kind of scary to be inside his head, but he's a pretty extreme bipolar person, replete with hallucinations.
Tuck
well written, very well written, and his poor girlfriend is a librarian, but very depressing. hah, what did i expect about madness through depression.
Brooke
Loved it. I looked for this book for three years before I finally got it...worth the wait.
Grace
Grace is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2014
Proustitute
Proustitute marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Ayla
Ayla marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Chey
Chey marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Fox
Fox marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Mavaddat
Mavaddat marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
sara rodriguez
sara rodriguez is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jenna Renee Brady
Jenna Renee Brady marked it as to-read
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »