Color Index

Color Index

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  306 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The best-selling author of Idea Index and Layout Index returns with an all-new title! Color Index provides more than one thousand color combinations and formulas-- guaranteed to help graphic artists solve design dilemmas and create effective images for both print and the Web. From progressive colors to natural tones, Color Index makes choosing hues for any job easier! Desi...more
Vinyl, 141 pages
Published April 12th 2002 by How Design Books

To ask other readers questions about Color Index, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Color Index

Daniel
This is my most borrowed book. By that I mean, my housemate Vallan comes and snatches it from my room on almost a weekly basis. But he does so because this book is genuinely awesome!

Rather than explain theory or even explain anything, this book is a series of color palettes that work. That can be frustrating. It's not a knowledge building book. It's a working book.

In the middle of a piece I'm working on, I pick up this book, flip to the sort of tone that I'm looking for (Active! Rich! Muted!)....more
Claire
My main issue with this book is that it wasn't what I was looking for: color swatches with hex (or RGB) codes that I could use to gauge screen to print variations.

It has hex and RGB codes although the majority of colors are given only in CMYK and RGB values, but the swatches are so small, it's not the sort of reference I'd find useful.

The book is a bit wider than a mass market paperback. The swatches are presented in ~3/4" squares, but each swatch contains 2-4 colors.

The book has some simple inf...more
Rob
Feb 26, 2008 Rob rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: graphic design novices
Shelves: graphic-design
More/less a compendium of "best practice" style color palettes. If you're an inexperienced or novice graphic designer or have had graphic design thrust upon you ("But I'm a developer!") then this is a great book to keep handy; if you're a little more experienced, it's still a good one to keep around for quick ideas ("...and the mock-up is due tomorrow morning 10am sharp!") or to loan out to your apprentices.

What makes it particularly useful is that it's well-organized and clusters the sample col...more
Ray Haleblian
What a twist ending!
Mrelia
Apr 09, 2007 Mrelia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Crafters, Painters, Designers, Needleworkers, Students, Anyone
Shelves: non-fiction
When I'm brainstorming or low on inspiration, I love to have my "index" books handy.
The color index is handy when I have a color or two that I'd like to use on a project, but I'm not sure quite what to put with them. This way, I can see combinations and colors I probably wouldn't have though about right off the bat.
It's also great when I'm working with a client who doesn't know what s/he wants. They can flip through the book and select colors the like without having to take up my valuable time.
ecHie
Berisi banyak perpaduan warna untuk mengungkapkan kesan-kesan tertentu.
Sangat direkomendasikan bagi para desainer.
Subversified
Jul 23, 2007 Subversified rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody who needs help with color combinations
Shelves: businessbooks
I like that this book doesn't do a lot of explaining, it just shows you the color combinations and lets you do the choosing. I found it very well organized and intuitive to use. I have very little art training, but sometimes have to be artistic, and this book has helped me out.
Erika
Apr 14, 2013 Erika rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
A great little resource book on color combinations. I spent an entire evening flipping through the book! Love how it is organized in chapters focusing on different color groupings, showing color combinations from each of these groups. Already using it for color ideas!
ZUICY
Love the book. Love the size and the format. Lets me explore different color combinations that I wouldn't normally think of. I'm a book kind of gal that likes to hold it in my hand, pop it in my bag and peek at it to inspire some design sketching.
SCOUT
Nov 09, 2008 SCOUT rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Designers, Print Professionals
Recommended to SCOUT by: How Design Online
Practical and useful resource accompanied by other Jim Krause. Useful for print and design professionals - industry standard. Suggest reading Design Basics Index and other books in The Complete Index collection.
Eric Sundquist
Looks like a neat book for artists and such. I happened to pick it up because it was there, and it helped me learn more about the world. And it helped me get closer to my reading goal. =~)
Alex
A brilliant follow up to the first book - a great set of colour combinations for all uses and purposes - I find these books to be extremely helpful.
Zuicy
Great color combos that I haven't thought of before. CMYK & RGB included to easily use with PS or InDesign. Great reference book. A keeper.
Adam
Mar 24, 2007 Adam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: designer-esques
Shelves: artsycarap
smallish book of color patterns. divvied up by scheme and complexity 2-5 colours. websafe section. values in CMYK, RGB, und Hex.
Jess
Jun 28, 2007 Jess rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fun
I used to carry this everywhere. I'm a nerd - I love color and design. Sometimes its just plain fun to look at!
Yukie
Sep 22, 2007 Yukie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who sees in color
Shelves: favorites
Indispensible reference book to help me visualize color combinations for interior design and graphic design.
Bulan
Buku yang bagus..berguna banget..
Sebenernya berguna buat orang yang membutuhkannya sih.. hehee..
Alex
Brilliant reference book for finding great colour combinations!
Erin Z
Apr 27, 2010 Erin Z added it
I use this almost everyday at my job... CRUCIAL!
Marva Whitaker
Good. Wish it was more comprehensive though.
Sherry
For those who don't know how to read...
Kate Zirkle
Erika added it
Aug 01, 2014
  • Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • Meggs' History of Graphic Design
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • Graphic Design: A Concise History (World of Art)
  • The Zen of CSS Design: Visual Enlightenment for the Web
  • Geometry of Design: Studies in Proportion and Composition
  • The Complete Manual of Typography: A Guide to Setting Perfect Type
  • The End of Print: The Graphic Design of David Carson
  • Fingerprint: The Art of Using Hand-Made Elements in Graphic Design
  • Creative Advertising: Ideas and Techniques from the World's Best Campaigns
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Learning Web Design: A Beginner's Guide to (X)HTML, StyleSheets, and Web Graphics
  • The Elements of Color
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • The Non-Designer's Design Book
  • Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design
  • The New Typography
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
Design Basics Index: A Graphic Designer's Guide to Designing Effective Compositions, Selecting Dynamic Components & Developing Creative Concepts Layout Index Photo Idea Index: Explore New Ways to Capture and Create Exceptional Images with Digital Cameras and Software Idea Index: Graphic Effects and Typographic Treatments Type Idea Index