Start by marking “The Shopping Expedition” as Want to Read:
The Shopping Expedition

The Shopping Expedition

On the day Mom goes shopping with her young daughter, baby Harry, and Wilf the Wonderdog, she starts by making her usual grocery list. But with Allan Ahlberg at the helm, what begins as a mundane shopping trip can quickly become just a little unusual. With the help of whimsically detailed illustrations by André Amstutz, this persistent family treks through a blizzard and ...more
32 pages
Published 2007 (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Shopping Expedition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shopping Expedition

Sarah Adamson
This is an interesting book. It's a short story by Allan Ahlberg - famous author of We're going on a Bear Hunt and oh so many more marvelous books. This one seems based on the illustrations which are pretty magnificent!
The story is an imaginative version of a standard trip out to the supermarket! Fun and light.
Karen
Feb 11, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok
This book starts off on the third page, so I began the book being a bit confused. I do get that the story is about flights of imagination, but I think the book would have been better if the illustrations showed something to anchor the imagination to reality, e.g., the jungle could have been a park on the outer edge.
Bree
May 01, 2014 Bree rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Notes:
not a pre-k book as we thought, but aimed at 5-7yo who will get the imagination factor involved; either way my kids didn't enjoy this book as it was too much like a strange dream with a really dull ending
Naomi
Aug 02, 2015 Naomi rated it did not like it
OMGG...BORING! This book is supposed to be a whimsical tale...instead it just dragged on for me. I thought I was going to beat my head against the wall with how long this book went on for AND IT IS A CHILDREN'S BOOK!
Andréa
Bit of an abrupt beginning and end. I actually checked the book a few times to make sure I didn't miss a page at the start.
Allison
Jun 29, 2009 Allison rated it liked it
Mom, sister, baby brother, and Wulf the Wonderdog set out on a Shopping Expedition, and the road turns into marvelous places!
elle and esme gosling
elle and esme gosling rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2013
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald rated it it was ok
May 09, 2015
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2009
mr a j hindman
mr a j hindman rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2016
Callie
Callie rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Cara
Cara rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Aprils
Aprils rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
JennyE
JennyE rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Lisa-jane
Lisa-jane rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Ben Stoker
Ben Stoker rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Saima
Saima rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
C.M
C.M rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2010
Thia
Nov 14, 2011 Thia added it
Shelves: preschool
looking for things
Cecily
Cecily rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2012
F.M.
F.M. rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2014
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2014
Lesley Looper
Oct 29, 2010 Lesley Looper rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the creatvity of the family shopping expedition, as well as the colorful illustrations!
DianeL
Jun 06, 2010 DianeL rated it really liked it
Great children's book - quick & easy, lovely to be able to read to your child/ren quick.
Elizabeth S
Elizabeth S rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2010
Sarah Barga
Sarah Barga rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Aspasia
Aspasia rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2010
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Allan Ahlberg, one of the most acclaimed and successful authors of children's books - including the best-selling Jolly Postman series - says that he dreamed of becoming a writer since the age of twelve. But his route to that goal was somewhat circuitous.

Other jobs along the way included postman (not an especially jolly one, he recalls), gravedigger, plumber, and teacher.

The author wrote his firs
More about Allan Ahlberg...