Start by marking “The Night the Bells Rang” as Want to Read:
The Night the Bells Rang

The Night the Bells Rang

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  36 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
While the adults talk endlessly about the war overseas, Mason fights his own battles at home with a mean bully named Aden. But then Aden surprises Mason with an unexpected act of kindness. Finally, on the night the bells ring-and World War I ends-Mason lays an old enemy to rest. Readers will identify with this timeless story about a boy's coming-of-age.

Awards for The Night
Published October 1st 2000 by Puffin Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Night the Bells Rang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night the Bells Rang

Zach Naegele
Jul 13, 2011 Zach Naegele rated it really liked it
In this book Mason must face the troubles of youth while also facing the troubles of World War I. Mason is frequently bullied by an older child named Aden, and comes to hate the boy for all that he has done to him. Then on Father’s Day, Mason drops a picture he made for his dad on a frozen river. Aden, while passing by, goes out on ice and fetches it for him. Mason begins to wonder why Aden acts the way he does. Mason’s father tells him that Aden’s dad was an alcoholic, abusive, and now dead. Ma ...more
Shelley
Sep 07, 2014 Shelley rated it liked it
Shelves: youth, historical, 2014
Set during World War I, Mason deals with bullies and growing up. It moved very, very slow for the first 3/4, and ended very satisfyingly. This was on a recent bib of recommended WW1/WW2 books for kids, and I think it was added just because there aren't many WW1 books out there. I don't think I'd recommend it for anything but a classroom readaloud - it's very short (76 pages) and could spark some conversations.
Miss Amanda
gr 3-6 76 pgs

1918, rural Vermont. Follows the daily life of Mason as he does his farm chores, puts up with his annoying younger brother, and tries to think of a way to get the town bully, Aden, to leave him alone. The story includes occasional mentions of the war (rationing etc), but mostly focuses on town life.

A short, interesting story that shows how no person is all good or all bad.
Michelle
Apr 13, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lorraine and everyone else
I seem to find myself crying with every one of Natalie's books. They are supposed to be for children, but they are about some really deep and powerful things such as animal cruelty, war, coming of age. I am amazed how she can so quickly take us into her soul-world in just a little book.
Alyson
Jun 20, 2014 Alyson rated it it was amazing
I did debate the fifth star, but for its length, I'm not sure it could have been much better. (See more at http://www.eatreadandbemommy.com/2014... if you'd like.)
Ash
This is the kind of book I was too young to appreciate when I had it. Such a beautiful, important book, that brings to mind all we have that people back in 1917 did not, and all they had that we've let fall behind. Poignant and strong, add this one to your child's bookshelf.
Jill
Oct 16, 2014 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I was surprised by the beauty of the writing in this simple story. I used this as a bedtime read aloud for my 1st and 4th graders. It was maybe a little mature for my 1st grader, but he was able to follow the story. It had me crying at the end and there was some beautiful imagery.
Kladis3
Oct 22, 2014 Kladis3 rated it liked it
I liked this book because it was snall and easy to read. This book talks about World War 1 and at the end of World War 1 is when the bells rang. Read this and find out why the bells rang. If your looking for a fun and east book to keep you interested this is a good book for you.
Culleen
good story...liked the details of making maple syrup and apple cider. but the deeper story is that of understanding of what makes another person act as they do.
Edwina Callan
Nov 28, 2013 Edwina Callan rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2008
A YA book about life "down on the farm" during WW1.
I really loved this book.
Marj Oleske
Marj Oleske rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2014
Sue Graves
Sue Graves rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Cherie
Cherie rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Laura H
Laura H rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2017
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2008
Kendra
Kendra rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2009
WS
WS rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2013
Jamellah
Jamellah rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2009
Naysha Sierra
Naysha Sierra rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2016
Mary Smith
Mary Smith rated it really liked it
May 25, 2013
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Allie
Allie rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2011
Zuhra
Zuhra rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Sheila
Sheila rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2012
Sylvia
Sylvia rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2009
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2015
My sister, three brothers, and I grew up on a Vermont dairy farm in a region known as the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, USA, where my Scottish ancestors settled almost two hundred years ago.

Our lives revolved around our church, our community, and the hard work of farming. Along with milking and feeding the animals each morning and evening, there was the work of each season: maple sugaring, plowing
More about Natalie Kinsey-Warnock...