Liar (Irene Kelly, #6)

Liar (Irene Kelly #6)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  572 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Intrepid sleuth/reporter Irene Kelly barely has time to recover from the shock of learning that her estranged aunt has been killed before being blindsided by an even bigger surprise - she's the number one suspect! Irene searches for her aunt's son, Travis - a young man who wants nothing to do with Irene or any of the Kelly clan. The seeds of contention sown by family membe...more
Paperback
Published April 7th 1999 by HarperTorch (first published 1998)

Cupcakencorset
Another winner. I’m not sure Burke can write a bad book. This was a very personal story, involving members of Irene Kelly’s family and delicate family situations. Well done, with one of the quirkiest last lines I’ve read in a while: “He took my hand and we walked back to the car, speaking, as lovers will, of the benefits of cremation.” It reads more like an opening line and lets you know there will be more. Yay!
Teena in Toronto
This is the fourth book in the series of eleven (as of 2011) ... I'm rereading the series.

Irene's great aunt, Mary, informs Irene that her aunt Briana (Irene's mother's sister) has died ... she was run over by a car. As Briana's sole beneficiary, Irene becomes the number one suspect of the murder, even though she hadn't see Briana in over twenty years. This sets Irene and her friend, Rachel (a former cop, now a private investigator) on the trail to find Briana's son, Travis, which they do.

Travis...more
Kevin Bachovchin
First Jan Burke book I read. I can't remember the details of the book too much, but I liked it enough that I went on to read the rest of the Jan Burke books.
Carol
I loce this series of books and this onew as no exception. Entertaining drom beginning to end.
George
An Irene Kelly, Southern California newspaper reporter mystery. This one deals with family members as Irene gets reunited with family members on her mother's side who she hasn't been involved with for years. This getting together leads to discoveries that past truths were incorrect and leads her into a series of murders, attempts on her and her cousin's life as they unravel the murders 20 years earlier and current.
Jaime
I'd rather give it 3.5 than 4 stars (I rounded up), for while it's still a strong entry in the Irene Kelly series, the climactic scene is a little contrived. And besides,there simply wasn't enough Frank Harriman in the story to satisfy me...I looooooove Frank Harriman. I mean, I really, really, really, REALLY love him....
Connie
#6 in the Irene Kelley Series. This was centered around her cousin that she had been estranged from Travis. It centered around Irene being suspected of killing his mother for money that she had been left in her will. It was full of suspense and I enjoyed it even though I have not read any in this series in a long time.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Irene Kelly; reporter gets involved in her family history when she is beneficiary of an aunt's will and begins to look into prior history of murder, bigamy, and lost relatives.
Joyce
An oldie, but a goodie! It was fun finding an Irene Kelly mystery I had not read. In this one she is finding "lost" relatives and determining who killed her Aunt. Lots of mayhem and enough plot to keep you up late.
Laurla2
Dec 31, 2012 Laurla2 added it
Shelves: mystery
"worried minds continually snatching our weary bodies back from the brink of sleep"
"whats wrong?" "i'm being paranoid" "oh yeah? thats much more fun as a group activity. tell me whats making you nervous."
Jason
Certainly not the best of the series, but an interesting read nonetheless... In this one you get to meet more of Irene's extended family.
Shirley
Another good Irene Kelley book. This time the death of a relative sets her off on a trail that involves family issues as well as murder.
Bill
Maybe my favourite Irene Kelly mystery. Suspense, twists and turns. Excellent
First of Ms. Burke's books that I've read. Quite enjoyable.
Catherine Woodman
I like this protagonist alot--she is edgy but real
Edie
Not enough Frank to suit me.....
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Amber Matha
Amber Matha marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
mumto2
mumto2 marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Susan Stonehill
Susan Stonehill marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Marina56
Marina56 marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)
  • Immaculate Reception (Madeline Bean, #2)
  • Ultraviolet (Jane Kelly, #3)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • The Jasmine Trade
  • Missing Persons (Kate Conway Mysteries, #1)
  • Irresistible Impulse
  • Winter House (Kathleen Mallory, #8)
  • Pale Immortal (Pale Immortal, #1)
  • Cold Truth (Truth #1)
  • The First Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #1)
  • The Last Hostage
  • Louisiana Hotshot (Talba Wallis, #1)
  • Ten Little Bloodhounds
  • Shallow Graves (John Pellam, #1)
  • Baby Doll Games
  • Stalking the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady, #7)
  • Burning Time (April Woo, #1)
Goodnight, Irene (Irene Kelly #1) Bones (Irene Kelly, #7) Sweet Dreams, Irene (Irene Kelly #2) Dear Irene (Irene Kelly #3) Hocus (Irene Kelly #5)