Start by marking “Liar (Irene Kelly, #6)” as Want to Read:
Liar (Irene Kelly, #6)

Liar (Irene Kelly #6)

Investigative reporting has its hazards, but trouble hits home for Irene Kelly when her estranged aunt is murdered--and Irene becomes the leading suspect. With the police hot on her trail, Irene sets out to find cousin Travis, her dead aunt's son, convinced he's the next target. But when Irene finds Travis, a camper-driving children's storyteller with suspiciously deep poc ...more
Published April 7th 1999 by HarperTorch (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liar

Oct 05, 2010 Cupcakencorset rated it it was amazing
Another winner. I’m not sure Burke can write a bad book. This was a very personal story, involving members of Irene Kelly’s family and delicate family situations. Well done, with one of the quirkiest last lines I’ve read in a while: “He took my hand and we walked back to the car, speaking, as lovers will, of the benefits of cremation.” It reads more like an opening line and lets you know there will be more. Yay!
Teena in Toronto
May 30, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in the series of eleven (as of 2011) ... I'm rereading the series.

Irene's great aunt, Mary, informs Irene that her aunt Briana (Irene's mother's sister) has died ... she was run over by a car. As Briana's sole beneficiary, Irene becomes the number one suspect of the murder, even though she hadn't see Briana in over twenty years. This sets Irene and her friend, Rachel (a former cop, now a private investigator) on the trail to find Briana's son, Travis, which they do.

Chris Demer
This is an "Irene Kelly" novel by Jan Burke. Irene is a reporter for a local newspaper. The story revolves around her aunt, who has been murdered, and various family members who may be suspects, including herself.

She has had no contact with her aunt for many years, nor her cousin, as her parents (when they were alive) had issues with her aunt. She "married" a man who apparently had been married to another woman (a wealthy one), who had been murdered years ago.

The story is complicated, but she e
Nov 19, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#6 in the Irene Kelly series. Finalist 1998 Agatha Award for Best Novel.

Irene Kelly series - Irene's sister is furious when she discovers a stranger buried next to their mother. She demands that Irene fix the problem. Eventually, Irene learns that the plot is occupied by her aunt Brianna, long estranged from the family and the victim of a hit-and-run accident that looks suspiciously like murder. At first, the police suspect Irene, since Brianna's will left everything to her. Then Brianna's son,
Jan 28, 2008 George rated it liked it
An Irene Kelly, Southern California newspaper reporter mystery. This one deals with family members as Irene gets reunited with family members on her mother's side who she hasn't been involved with for years. This getting together leads to discoveries that past truths were incorrect and leads her into a series of murders, attempts on her and her cousin's life as they unravel the murders 20 years earlier and current.
Aug 23, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it
#6 in the Irene Kelley Series. This was centered around her cousin that she had been estranged from Travis. It centered around Irene being suspected of killing his mother for money that she had been left in her will. It was full of suspense and I enjoyed it even though I have not read any in this series in a long time.
Jan 23, 2010 Jaime rated it really liked it
I'd rather give it 3.5 than 4 stars (I rounded up), for while it's still a strong entry in the Irene Kelly series, the climactic scene is a little contrived. And besides,there simply wasn't enough Frank Harriman in the story to satisfy me...I looooooove Frank Harriman. I mean, I really, really, really, REALLY love him....
Joe O'c
Aug 27, 2009 Joe O'c rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Irene Kelly; reporter gets involved in her family history when she is beneficiary of an aunt's will and begins to look into prior history of murder, bigamy, and lost relatives.
Mar 24, 2009 Joyce rated it liked it
An oldie, but a goodie! It was fun finding an Irene Kelly mystery I had not read. In this one she is finding "lost" relatives and determining who killed her Aunt. Lots of mayhem and enough plot to keep you up late.
Mary Follis
Mar 21, 2016 Mary Follis rated it liked it
I love to see Irene in action, but this story had so many names and relationships it was hard for me to keep them straight. Finally by the end I knew who everyone was, but it was confusing reading at times. Still, I gladly will go on to the next Irene Kelly mystery.
Dec 31, 2012 Laurla2 added it
Shelves: mystery
"worried minds continually snatching our weary bodies back from the brink of sleep"
"whats wrong?" "i'm being paranoid" "oh yeah? thats much more fun as a group activity. tell me whats making you nervous."
Sep 18, 2013 Shirley rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another good Irene Kelley book. This time the death of a relative sets her off on a trail that involves family issues as well as murder.
Kevin Bachovchin
Feb 16, 2014 Kevin Bachovchin rated it really liked it
First Jan Burke book I read. I can't remember the details of the book too much, but I liked it enough that I went on to read the rest of the Jan Burke books.
Nov 13, 2010 Jason rated it liked it
Certainly not the best of the series, but an interesting read nonetheless... In this one you get to meet more of Irene's extended family.
Katharine Ott
Apr 16, 2016 Katharine Ott rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
"Liar" - written by Jan Burke and published in 1999 by HarperTorch. Pretty good mystery in a series featuring Irene Kelly.
Stacey rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2011
Lorie rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Lisa Decesare
Lisa Decesare rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2008
Cjboals rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2012
Ilene rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2011
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Eileen rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2009
S rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2011
Evonne rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2011
Cindbro rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2009
Chris rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2012
lyn rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2014
Margaret Von Bevern
Margaret Von Bevern rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Linda rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2009
Katherine rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2013
  • Sugar Skull
  • The Tree of Death
  • Immaculate Reception (Madeline Bean, #2)
  • Ultraviolet (Jane Kelly, #3)
  • Fury (Frank Corso, #1)
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)
  • The Cold Heart of Capricorn (Elizabeth Chase, #2)
  • An Isolated Incident
  • Per mano mia: Il Natale del commissario Ricciardi
  • No Good Deed (Sonora Blair, #3)
  • Cut to the Quick (Nan Vining Mysteries, #2)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • Blessed Are the Meek (Gabriella Giovanni Mystery #2)
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • Winter House (Kathleen Mallory, #8)
  • Children of Salem
  • Missing Persons (Kate Conway Mysteries, #1)
  • I'd Rather be in Paris (Super Agent, #2)

Irene Kelly (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Goodnight, Irene (Irene Kelly #1)
  • Sweet Dreams, Irene (Irene Kelly #2)
  • Dear Irene (Irene Kelly #3)
  • Remember Me, Irene (Irene Kelly #4)
  • Hocus (Irene Kelly #5)
  • Bones (Irene Kelly, #7)
  • Flight (Irene Kelly, #8)
  • Bloodlines (Irene Kelly, #9)
  • Kidnapped (Irene Kelly #10)
  • Disturbance (Irene Kelly, #11)