Start by marking “Tradition!: The Highly Improbable, Ultimately Triumphant Broadway-to-Hollywood Story of Fiddler on the Roof, the World's Most Beloved Musical” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Since it first opened on Broadway in September, 1964, Fiddler on the Roof has constantly been onstage somewhere, including four Broadway revivals, four productions on London's West End and thousands of schools, army bases and countries from Argentina to Japan. Barbara Isenberg interviewed the men and women behind the original production, the film and significant revivals-- ...more
Published September 2nd 2014 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Tradition!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tradition!

When I entered this Goodreads giveaway it was motivated by the fact I grew up in Manhattan and going to Broadway shows was as natural for me as going to the movies was to kids growing up in areas far less rich with cultural opportunities. Of course I didn't know then that not every kid had Broadway actors in their classes and that they were a couple of Peter's Lost Boys. Not every kid believed that Peter could fly but I knew he could--he flew right over my head in a darkened theatre. And not eve ...more
Myrna Gottlieb
"Tradition," the story of “Fiddler on the Roof,” by Barbara Isenberg, is a winner. In an engaging style, Ms Isenberg, an award-winning journalist, guides us through the journey that transformed a group of short stories about a Russian milkman written in Yiddish by Sholem Aleichem, into an award-winning musical on the Broadway stage and later on the silver screen- a musical that is still performed and beloved worldwide.

Through interviews with the artists involved- the creators of the show and man
I was excited to read this book, because Fiddler on the Roof is one of my favorite movies, and I knew very little about any of the story behind its inception, other than the fact that it was based on the stories of a certain Jewish author.

It is quite an interesting story. The book traces the journey from the writers of the original Broadway play, and its subsequent re-writings and paring down, to the movie and beyond. It was quite amusing to get a glimpse (if only a small one) of just how differ
I received Tradition! as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

While the debate over the greatest musical of all time rages on, Tradition! profiles the creation and groundbreaking success one of the best-known and loved in the genre. Isenberg traces the story of the show's inspiration, the short stories of Sholem Aleichem, to the casting and writing of the musical on Broadway, in London's West End, and around the world, the film adapation, and the show's lasting legacy in revivals and popular culture.

[I got this book for free from a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.]

I love Fiddler on the Roof. It is one of my favorite musicals ever. (Not my absolute favorite - that would be Rent. But Fiddler is very close behind.)

I enter a TON of Goodreads giveaways. This was one of the first giveaways I entered that I REALLY wanted to win, and I was super excited when I actually did!

I really enjoyed reading this book, really enjoyed reading about the history of Fiddler. The fortunes and misfortunes that happe
My childhood would have been incomplete without Fiddler. Half our library visits it seems ended in bringing home the VHS, and it's still unnatural watching the DVD version and not having to change tapes. So it's perfect that I also got this book from the library, which lived up to what I was expecting. It gives a history of the play's formation with lots of interesting tidbits and follows through to the still vibrant following today. It made me all nostalgic and gave me some trivia about the pla ...more
A very pleasant and fun look at the musical. It glosses over some of the problems between Robbins and Mostel, and doesn't give the same depth as Wonder of Wonders: A Cultural History of Fiddler on the Roof by Alisa Solomon (see my review of that at but it's still a lot of fun for those who love reading about Broadway musicals.
Ron Rapoport

This is a wonderfully informative and well-written book about a true show-business phenomenon. The creators thought they were writing a Broadway show, but what they came up with was so much more--a true work of art that has been taken to its heart by people all over the world for 50 years. Isenberg tells this story wonderfully well. No theater lover should miss this book.
This history of Fiddler on the Roof concentrates on the show and the movie. Fast moving and filled with interesting anecdotes. Strangely some of the illustrations are printed twice (once in the body of the book and again in the glossy photo section). Would have liked some color illustrations. Most fun: Fiddler as played in Japan.
The story of the Broadway musical and the film. Includes some great trivia I did not know. Apparently, Zero Mostel was a free spirit and Topol was Israeli and is still touring! It took my theatre company forever to get the rights because of that!
Barbara Isenberg brings warmth, wit and terrific reporting to the back story of "Fiddler on the Roof." Her lively and engaging book will delight anyone who loves the musical--that is, almost everyone!
Fascinating behind the scenes look. Didn't know that Zero had such an ego and mindblowing that Frank Sinatra wanted the role of Tevye in the movie.
Marilyn Shapiro
A delightful behind the curtain look at the development, implementation, and phenomenal success of one of Broadway's most popular musical. L'Chaim!
I saw "Fiddler" twice the year it opened. This book brought the memories back. Do rent the DVD and read "Tradition" will not regret it.
Roberta Gerson
Apr 08, 2015 Roberta Gerson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves "Fiddler on the Roof"
Shelves: jewish-theme
I enjoyed this book. I never knew the backstory about how the Broadway show and the movie were developed. Easy read.
Informative, but lightweight. A good, non-taxing read for a rainy afternoon.

Received via Goodreads.
Rick Rapp
I have always loved Fiddler on the Roof. I've performed in it three times and directed it twice. As such, I was thrilled to find a book on its creation. After reading it, I have to say I was disappointed. I expected so much more, especially since the book boasts such good sources in its research. Much of the recollections were shallow and very brief. "We all wept." "The cast was in tears." "The production team was crying." Please. Even as a confirmed weeper, I found that description very tedious ...more
This was sort of interesting. It had interesting details about the development of the musical, although presented very bare - and then more than half the book was about the critical reception, subsequent productions, the movie, etc. I would have been more interested in greater detail about the actual writing and development of the script, characters, and music, of which there was fairly little.
Barely 3 stars. Historical reference, but interesting information could have been done by In depth magazine article.
Steve Gross
Not very sophisticated writing - pretty much at the earnest high school level.
Autumn marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Jim marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Bobashep dillard jr
Bobashep dillard jr is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2015
Verity marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
  • Jazz: America's Gift: From Its Birth to George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue & Beyond
  • Van Halen Rising: How a Southern California Backyard Party Band Saved Heavy Metal
  • Hope for Film: From the Frontline of the Independent Cinema Revolutions
  • Mortal Ambitions
  • The First King of Hollywood: The Life of Douglas Fairbanks
  • Somewhere West of Roads
  • Little Bighorn: A Novel
  • Blade of the Samurai (Shinobi Mystery, #2)
  • Spirit of '69: A Skinhead Bible
  • Parker Field
  • I Remember Me
  • Dance Macabre (A Handful of Secrets # 7)
BARBARA ISENBERG, author of Tradition!, is an award winning journalist who has been writing and lecturing about theater for over three decades. She is the author of Making It Big: The Diary of a Broadway Musical, State of the Arts: California Artists Talk About Their Work and Conversations with Frank Gehry. Her work has appeared in the LA Times, the Wall Street Journal, Time, Esquire, The Huffingt ...more
More about Barbara Isenberg...
Conversations with Frank Gehry Making It Big: The Diary of a Broadway Musical State of the Arts: California Artists Talk about Their Work California Theatre Annual: 1980-81 California Theatre Annual:  1982

“Rarely offstage, rarely on hiatus, Fiddler on the Roof has already been back on Broadway for four revivals, played London's West End four times, and remains among Broadway's longest-running shows ever.” 0 likes