Start by marking “The Bus for Us” as Want to Read:
The Bus for Us

The Bus for Us

Tess is excited. Today is her first day of school, and her very first ride on a school bus. Waiting at the bus stop with her older friend Gus, Tess eagerly asks, "Is this the bus for us, Gus?" as each vehicle passes by. From fire engine to front loader, Suzanne Bloom introduces young readers to a variety of vehicles through a simple text and spirited illustrations.
Published March 1st 2001 by Boyds Mills Press (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Bus for Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bus for Us

June
Aug 11, 2015 June rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: librarians, parents and teachers
A classic for this time of year! So well done the toddlers could not keep their hands off of it during story time. 8/31/11

Used it during PJ time and Laptime again this year. 8/12

Used in Lap Time after The Babies on the Bus again. 8/27/14

Used for TEC back to school story time for PreK's. Big hit.
Jessie
Nov 24, 2016 Jessie rated it it was ok
Shelves: baby
Good for beginning readers but lacks storyline.
Eva Kelly
Jun 04, 2016 Eva Kelly rated it liked it
Boy, am I glad I don’t have to go to school on a BUS. Mama’s little sister Maggie has to take the school bus and it takes a WHOLE HALF HOUR to get to school, and she HATES it and who can blame her?
If she did HOMESCHOOL, she’d be THERE already. HAHAHA!
Maybe Mimi needs to think about that.
Anyway, it still might be fun to go on a school bus a couple times so who knows? Maybe I can try it when I’m in high school or college or something.
Oh! You know what else was good? Was that the BUS STOP sign in t
Kandice Buck
Sep 16, 2015 Kandice Buck rated it liked it
Shelves: school
This book is a book that children will love to read. It is about a little girl and her first time on the bus. She is with her brother and asks every time when she sees a form of transportation ff that is their bus. She grows tired while waiting but eventually the bus arrives. I personally like this book and think children will love it. However, other than reading it the first day of school to children to help relate to the ones who rode the bus, I don't think I would read this book to use for ...more
Mist
Sep 10, 2011 Mist rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tommy-s-books
I arrived at a story time late one day and the librarian was reading the last few pages of this book. From those few pages, I knew my son would love it. So, we have read the book over ten times over the past 3 days. It is a very simple story; however, you can find a lot to talk about with the pictures. It helps with prediction and memorization skills. If you are teaching your child to be bilingual, I feel that this is a fairly simple book to translate on the go. Overall, My 2 year old and I ...more
Becky Birtha
Jul 13, 2011 Becky Birtha rated it really liked it
This delightful picture book is one that beginning readers will be able to read for themselves, with plenty of repetition, picture clues, and a mystery at every page-turn. The multicultural cast of kids and their antics while waiting in line for the bus was fun. The setting is urban, and there are plenty of vehicles, for kids who like trucks. Since the two main characters, Gus and Tess, do not look alike but act like brother and sister, I'd recommend this one for families in which there are ...more
Carol
Suzanne Bloom's effervescent spirit comes through as a little girl waits anxiously for her bus and her friend patiently waits with her all the while identifying the various vehicles that pass by. Lovely spirit to this book and lovely illustrations as well.
This book is the 2013 PA One Book Every Young Child selection. Most public libraries in Pennsylvania will have a trunk of related materials/toys that they can check out with this book selection. For more information about the 2013 book selectio
Bethann
This book was not one of my favorites. I felt like it was very boring, and I kept repeating myself a lot. I do not think it would keep many kid's interest in a class room, especially if they were older. It would, however be a good book for children to start off reading by their selves. It repeats it self enough that the kids would eventually get the hang of it. The book is simple enough they would understand it on their own. Good idea, just not that interesting.
Neil Nicholson
This is a good story to work on predicting.As Gus and Tess wait for the bus, they see a lot of other interesting vehicles. The bus was driven by a man named Mack. The book is good for predicting because the pictures always give a clue as to what kind of vehicle they will see next. After this story, teachers can make a bar graph of different ways that students use to get to and from school. I would recommend this book for prek through 1st grade.
Kassidy
Oct 16, 2009 Kassidy rated it it was ok
This is a pattern book about Tess and Gus who are waiting for the school bus. Every vehicle that passes, Tess asks Gus if it is the "bus for us." Each time, Gus says, "no, that's a tractor" or "no, that's a truck."
I didn't really enjoy this book because it didn't seem very unique. It was kind of a dull story and so repetitive that it got annoying. The illustrations weren't even cute to make up for the lack of good writing.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 4/5/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read during preschool class visit on 9/19/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Pajama Story Time on 1/23/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Drop-In Story Time on 9/6/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Katie Curry
Nov 14, 2011 Katie Curry rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
This book is about a young girl, Tess, who is so excited about her first day of school that she continuously is asking "Is this the bus for us, Gus?" when each vehicle approaches them.
I would use this book in my classroom to talk about predictions and also having my students find the changes that are made to solitary objects in the illustrations.
Chuck
Sep 03, 2013 Chuck rated it really liked it
This is a story about Tess waiting on the school bus. I would thinking that it is his first day of school and riding a bus. So Gus seem to be older brother helping while she waits for the bus. She see's just about everything from trash truck to a backhoe. In the end the bus comes and it is Tess time to get on the bus. Great story for kids first year of getting on that first bus ride.
LINCCReviews
I read to groups of different age children and this book is appealing to preschoolers up to mid elementary school. Most children can relate to waiting for the bus to arrive. And the book challenges them to predict what vehicle is coming and to look for what is different on the page. Notice the signs at the bus stop. (Ellen C.)
Sep 01, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Tess and her brother wait together at the bus stop. Tess anxiously watches each vehicle and asks, 'Is this the one for us?" But each time it's some other kind of car, truck, backhoe, or something that moves. Finally, their school bus comes and on they get. Would be good for transportation units. Can picture it as a read-aloud with the kiddos shouting out the kind of vehicle.
Danielle Simmons
Sep 08, 2012 Danielle Simmons rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
This book was a little funny because the most random things would drive by and she thought it was their bus! This would be good for kids to read and see the pattern and also look at the pictures to match the objects.
Jeanne
Mar 19, 2013 Jeanne rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pretty simple book. A little girl asks her brother if every vehicle that comes by is their bus. So you get to see a bunch of vehicles. The brother's expressions get pretty funny by the time the bus appears.
Lauren Brown
Dec 06, 2011 Lauren Brown rated it liked it
Shelves: friends, school, fiction, buses
Kindergarteners would enjoy this book. There is a lot of repetition and some good illustrations. Tess is at the bus stop on her first day of school and she keeps asking if each vehicle that passes is the school bus. It is a short book and an easy read.
Susan
Mar 18, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"Is this the bus for us, Gus?"
"No Tess, it's a _______"
goes through a bunch of different kinds of vehicles until it's "Yes Tess it is the bus for us!" It's cute and simple, and Lola could read it after a few times. And it has a girl named Tess!
Carrie Marie Lawson Brewer
Tess is excited for her first at of school and asks with every passing vehicle if that's "The bus for us."
Megan Staten
I really liked the predictability of this book. I think it would really help emergent readers. The book had really great illustrations.
Ashley Allen
This is a great book to talk about identification. I would have the students identify the different types of vehicles. We could talk about the similarities and differences.
Paula
Wonderful simple story about a little girl whose asking Gus if the next vehicle is the bus to go to school. There is a peek at what vehicle is coming when she asks her question
Eileen
Eileen rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Selina
Selina rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
May 12, 2014
Ellen Yeomans
Ellen Yeomans rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2008
Mariana
Mariana rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Allyson D. Zipp
Allyson D. Zipp rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • My Car
  • Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash!
  • Little Tug
  • Meeow and the Big Box
  • I Love Trucks!
  • A Truck Goes Rattley-Bumpa
  • Toot Toot Beep Beep
  • Red Truck
  • The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred
  • How Will We Get to the Beach?/Como Iremos a la Playa?
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Do Cows Meow?
  • The Birthday Box
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • Spring is Here