Start by marking “The Search for Amelia Earhart” as Want to Read:

The Search for Amelia Earhart

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  9 reviews
book, 336 pages
Published 1966 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Search for Amelia Earhart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Search for Amelia Earhart

Chelsey
The novel was integrating but at the same time boring, I love this topic aviation/mystery but I had to keep myself reading there was little flow. The information was great, Fred Goerner's trials to get what little facts he could out of the government and the locals was groundbreaking. I could be that I'm reading this book 40 years after it was written, but I couldn't get in the grove of the story line and I feel like I could have just read the last chapter and been satisfied.
Janetiokepa
Fred Goerner dedicated years of his life researching the mystery of Amelia Earhart's disappearance on July 2, 1937. He uncovers so many unbelievable facts, but it's very disturbing to realize that Japan and our government have chosen to leave the truth buried in classified files. Her last days must have been terrible and I feel so sad because she was an incredible person!
Susan
Mar 31, 2013 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Great, informative read on the disappearance of Amelia Earhart. After reading Georner's evidence and conclusions it's hard to fathom an ending to Amelia Earthart other than her going down in the Marshall Islands after being sent to spy on the Japanese, being held captive in Saipain and dying there. And it's even harder to believe that the government didn't know about it.
Philip
An excellent account of the search! A clear, interesting, active book describing Fred Goerner's hunt for evidence about the disappearance of Amelia Earhart. But for the occasional bad word I would give this book five stars. A must read for anyone interested in the Earhart mystery or historical/archaeological mysteries in general!
Jeremiah Murphy
Even if Goerner was on the wrong trail, the description of the U.S.'s pre-war relationship with Japan and post-war dealings with Saipan is fascinating. I enjoyed following Goerner along as he tried to solve this mystery.
Joe  Noir
Goerner's personal search for Amelia, and clues as to what happened to her. Great stuff, and cool photos also. If you are at all interested in the disappearance of Amelia Earhart, this book is the place to begin.
Nancy L.
I recall reading this in junior high and beginning my fascination with Earhart. Unfortunately, I think most of Goerner's theories abaout her disappearance have been debunked by now.
Tipsy Biscuit
Sep 09, 2010 Tipsy Biscuit added it
Shelves: 2009
If you'd like to know what I thought of this book, please contact me directly and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

All the best,

- TB
Read1000books
A bit ponderous and lengthy, the author holds the "she was captured by the Japanese" theory.
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Max Renn
Max Renn marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Friay
Friay marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Valeta
Valeta marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Benny
Benny added it
Nov 16, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013