Start by marking “Death's Master (Flat Earth #2)” as Want to Read:
Death's Master (Flat Earth #2)

Death's Master (Tales from the Flat Earth #2)

In those days the world was flat and demons dwelled beneath who walked among the cities and kingdoms of the surface with powers and mischiefs to please themselves.
Among those demons there were two who were mighty above all others. One was Azhrarn, Night's Master, and the other was the lord of darkness whose name was Uhlume, Death's Master.
This is Tanith Lee's epic fantasy
Published 1985 by Arrow Books (first published 1979)

Kat  Hooper
Apr 17, 2012 Kat Hooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

On Tanith Lee’s Flat Earth, humans live in the space between apathetic gods and vain and meddlesome demons. In the first FLAT EARTH book, Night’s Master, we met Azhrarn, prince of demons and ruler of the night who found and loved a human orphan. I loved that book for its exotic setting and gorgeous fairytale quality, but Death’s Master, the second FLAT EARTH book, is even more enchanting. While the first book was a series of connected tales, Death’s Master
Derek
Dec 23, 2016 Derek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
Night's Master was a loosely-tied collection whose central point is the demon lord Azhrarn as he meddles and ruins puny mortal lives according to whim and faerie menace. Here he is a background puppeteer, still manipulating events with almost artistic motivations, as well as a faint malice towards his not-cousin Uhlume, Lord of Death.

But this story is about a set of humans or mostly-humans and the long movements of their mutually-destructive actions, in a world that is profoundly unsympathetic.
Craig
Nov 29, 2013 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer-fantastika
Death's Master is finally an ebook. It's an epic fantasy told in the high style full of eroticism and horror, as well as beauty. Part runaway Wildean fantasia, part Arabian Nights, here's what I said about the Flat Earth series as a whole:

The eroticism in the text [is} exploratory but tempered by a peculiar kind of innocence, helped in no small part by the jewel-like precision of the prose. There [are] horrors in the stories, but there [is] also tenderness. It is [Tanith] Lee's special talent to
Mely
Feb 12, 2011 Mely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of the Flat Earth books I read, and it's still my favorite. What I mostly remember is the gorgeous Whelan cover and the awesome if necrophiliac warrior queen. Shut up, she was too awesome.
Dina
The Flat Earth series is probably the most beautiful of Tanith Lee's works. it's beauty is just too perfect to be described or praised. It is a rather complicated, twisted, dark adult fairytale about death and immortality.
Sirensongs
Oct 22, 2010 Sirensongs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Upon re-reading, this book was just as darkly wondrous and captivating as the first time I read it, several years ago. Tanith Lee's originality and brilliance will never cease to amaze me.
D.D. Price
The second book in Tanith Lee’s Flat Earth series is again very interesting like the previous one but it is also a very different one in the manner the story is told. Whereas the previous book Night’s Master was split into multiple parts with somewhat loosely connected stories that all served the purpose of creating a unifying tapestry this one more or less follows a few core characters over the course of the entire novel. There are two characters who are priests, Simmu and Zherim, who both bein ...more
Isaac
Nov 11, 2015 Isaac rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Strongly believe that Book 1 was better than Book 2.

Tanith Lee said that each Book has a different demon. In Book 1, I totally felt that all the tales at situated in the Flat Earth and every tales revolves around Azhrarn, more or less. And there's no real protagonist or main character in Book 1. Azhrarn is the central figure that all the tales revolve around. But he's not the main character, as there's really no main character. Each tale has its own main character but the book as book as a whol
Douglas Milewski
Aug 02, 2016 Douglas Milewski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death's Master (1979) by Tanith Lee challenges my ability to review books. How do I even summarize this work? By all rights, this book shouldn't work, but it does, which makes it absolutely fascinating to me. Thinking through everything that I've read, I can't say that I've ever read anything like this book. It's not for everyone. This work can throw you just as easily as it can capture you. It requires something of you, the reader, if only the dedication to reach the end.

This book follows a bio
Mel
It took me ages to finish this and as such I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first one. It started off well, but whereas the first volume was a collection of short stories with different character, this was more of a novel, following the same two main characters but done in a very disjointed style. Because it was broken down into small sections the pacing felt very odd and a lot of the events seemed to have no greater significance. I think I probably would have given it four stars if I rea ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Death's Master, the second in her "Flat Earth" is as good as the first, This book focuses on Uhlume, another prince of the Underearth who is Lord of Death. Lee creates and unforgettable world in this series that doesn't feel derivative of any other fantasy world, and with lush, luminous prose. In fact, I think I love this book, which is structured more like a novel, even more. Lee's prose is gorgeous and though the novel deals with such heavy themes as illusion and immortality there's plenty of ...more
Andrew
Apr 21, 2011 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who knows, man. who knows.
Shelves: fantastic, genre
I thought this book was awesome, but I don't think I know anyone I could recommend it to without embarrassment. Weirdo sex scenes ahoy! Other than the sex, though, it's a completely serious novel with all the trappings of respectable modern literature: power-mad sorcerers, fuckfighting unicorns, and water chariots pulled by swarms of tiny fish.
Allen Garvin
Beautiful, complicated story of another demon of flat earth, and the machinations between death's master and night's master, full of sorcery, weird plot twists, sunken cities, a city of immortality, human and immortal beauty and cruelty... difficult to describe, but haunting.
Joyce Lavene
Jun 16, 2012 Joyce Lavene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE Tanith Lee's writing. I've followed her for years. This books is easily as good as the first in the series, Night's Master. She is the queen of dark fantasy! It's a short read with many graphic and elaborate descriptions that enthralled me.
James West
Jun 16, 2012 James West rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this one first after discovering it in a flea market bin when I was 14. Oh crap...now that explains a lot! I read it several times before I was out of high school and again in college.

Dark, delicious book.
Keith Davis
Nov 29, 2009 Keith Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A complex dark fantasy about the mutable nature of sexuality and the ennui that comes with immortality.
Lauren
Dec 09, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tanith-lee
Book 2 of the Flat Earth series, after Night's Master.
Bookwatcher
Book 2

Night's Master is book 1 of this serie
Taostaos taostaos.com
Loved it....weird fantastic journey...many cool characters
Mickey Schulz
Dec 03, 2008 Mickey Schulz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More Tales of the Flat Earth.

I like this series because the Gods are at once inhuman, and fallible, consumed with their own rivalries and plots that may take aeons to come to fruition.
Kerr Cuhulain
Jan 11, 2011 Kerr Cuhulain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
A very good read. Very interesting story line.
Barbora
*weeps for days*
Leslie
May 06, 2008 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-gothic
Goth-girl dark-mood reading of the highest caliber!
Ана Хелс
Mar 12, 2013 Ана Хелс rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Приключенията в света на Плоската земя, отпреди боговете да се разбудят и създадат живота, такъв какъвто знаем, че е вече загинал преди хилядолетия, продължават с високо признатата и награждавана история за дните и нощите на великия Господар на смъртта или самата Смърт преди качулката и косата. Прекрасният демон Юлум, с белите си коси и черната си кожа, събира душите на напускащите тленността, и ги отвежда в земите отвъд, но понякога и в земите отдолу, в зависимост от сделката, сключена от прите ...more
David Layton
The second of Tanith Lee's Flat Earth series is a definite step up in quality from the first, "Night's Master." This one is more like a novel, following a continuous, if somewhat sprawling, series of connected events around a few characters. Flat Earth is really layered Earth. The middle flat layer is the material world occupied by humans. Below is Inner Earth, where the demons and other supernatural beings of dubious morals reside. Above is Upper Earth, where the unseen gods reside. Demons, for ...more
Lisa
I always want to love Tanith Lee's books because her writing is so distinctive. However, this series feels a little bit dated since all the people with power are male (including the demons) and the women are just second-class citizens. And I don't like it, so I'm quitting this book.

My example, which is the very start of the book follows:
(view spoiler)
Virgil S.
Mar 17, 2014 Virgil S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a truly masterfully written book. The way people, places and things are described are as if a master painter's brushstrokes were transcribed into perfect words. Tanith Lee's huge imagination beautifully populates the canvas of these pages. I again have to compare her mind to the stunning one of Alejandro Jodorowsky, who I would call a spiritual twin. Absurdities are made real in their works and are beautifully crafted.

As for the story itself, it is vast, strange, and more often than not
Duge Buwembo
Dec 22, 2013 Duge Buwembo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book it's a shame that it doesn't hold it together towards the end. This is the third book by Tanith Lee that I have read and second from the tales of flat earth series. This novel can best be described as an epic, sweeping story that will keep you busy for many hours. I was hooked by this book, the interconnecting stories of love, sex, mystery and high fantasy are breathtaking. This is an incredible feat of myth making here, the stories are dark, mature and full of intrigue. Unfortuna ...more
Grey Liliy
This was a really well told story, if I have anything concrete to say about it. The stories of the characters weaved in and out with each other, broken up with interesting and related short stories. Things come back from what seen like unimportant asides, and I appreciate that. Lots of work went into that.

I grew attached to a few characters (though clearly the wrong ones considering how they ended up by the end of the story), but most of them, while interesting, didn't gain my sympathies.

It is d
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like dark fantasy, queer relationships, or Tanith Lee as an author.
Beautifully tragic. A story about what it means to live and what it means to die and what is lost when invulnerability and immortality come into play. How cruelty and pain are sometimes the only way to feel alive while living. And how love isn't always enough.

Not quite as good as the first book. Uhlume isn't as fun or as interesting as Azhrarn but at the same time I love his stoicism and the cracks that eventually begin to show in his figurative armor. I don't know if I truly like any of the cha
  • A Rope of Thorns (Hexslinger, #2)
  • Rituals (Rhapsody of Blood, #1)
  • Hrolf Kraki's Saga
  • Lips Like Ice
  • The Folded World (A Dirge for Prester John, #2)
  • The Novels of the Jaran: Jaran / An Earthly Crown / His Conquering Sword / The Law of Becoming (Jaran, #1-4)
  • Velveteen vs. The Multiverse (Velveteen vs., #2)
  • The Influence
  • Gloriana
  • Evensong's Heir (Songbirds of Valnon, #1)
  • Champion of the Rose (Darest, #1)
  • Requiem
  • The Fulfilments of Fate and Desire (Wraeththu, #3)
  • Ariah (Ariah, #1)
  • The Nowhere Hunt
  • The Porcelain Dove
  • The Labyrinth of Flame (Shattered Sigil, #3)
  • Dusk (Tales of Noreela, #1)
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai
More about Tanith Lee...

Tales from the Flat Earth (5 books)
  • Night's Master  (Tales from the Flat Earth #1)
  • Delusion's Master (Flat Earth, #3)
  • Delirium's Mistress (Flat Earth, #4)
  • Night's Sorceries (Flat Earth, #5)

“The soul is a magician. Only living flesh hampers it.” 19 likes
“Men could not have too much. Ecstasy and vulnerability belonged in the same dish. The fear the cup would be snatched away was what gave the wine its savor and as Zhirem’s cup was sure, so was his joylessness… to die is a fear, but to live is a fear, also.” 0 likes