Start by marking “Death's Master (Flat Earth #2)” as Want to Read:
Death's Master (Flat Earth #2)

Death's Master (Flat Earth #2)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  727 ratings  ·  41 reviews
In those days the world was flat and demons dwelled beneath who walked among the cities and kingdoms of the surface with powers and mischiefs to please themselves.
Among those demons there were two who were mighty above all others. One was Azhrarn, Night's Master, and the other was the lord of darkness whose name was Uhlume, Death's Master.
This is Tanith Lee's epic fantasy
Published 1985 by Arrow Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Death's Master, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death's Master

Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

On Tanith Lee’s Flat Earth, humans live in the space between apathetic gods and vain and meddlesome demons. In the first FLAT EARTH book, Night’s Master, we met Azhrarn, prince of demons and ruler of the night who found and loved a human orphan. I loved that book for its exotic setting and gorgeous fairytale quality, but Death’s Master, the second FLAT EARTH book, is even more enchanting. While the first book was a series of connected tales, Death’s Master
Dina
The Flat Earth series is probably the most beautiful of Tanith Lee's works. it's beauty is just too perfect to be described or praised. It is a rather complicated, twisted, dark adult fairytale about death and immortality.
Craig
Death's Master is finally an ebook. It's an epic fantasy told in the high style full of eroticism and horror, as well as beauty. Part runaway Wildean fantasia, part Arabian Nights, here's what I said about the Flat Earth series as a whole:

The eroticism in the text [is} exploratory but tempered by a peculiar kind of innocence, helped in no small part by the jewel-like precision of the prose. There [are] horrors in the stories, but there [is] also tenderness. It is [Tanith] Lee's special talent to
Mely
This is the first of the Flat Earth books I read, and it's still my favorite. What I mostly remember is the gorgeous Whelan cover and the awesome if necrophiliac warrior queen. Shut up, she was too awesome.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Death's Master, the second in her "Flat Earth" is as good as the first, This book focuses on Uhlume, another prince of the Underearth who is Lord of Death. Lee creates and unforgettable world in this series that doesn't feel derivative of any other fantasy world, and with lush, luminous prose. In fact, I think I love this book, which is structured more like a novel, even more. Lee's prose is gorgeous and though the novel deals with such heavy themes as illusion and immortality there's plenty of ...more
Andrew
Apr 29, 2011 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who knows, man. who knows.
Shelves: fantastic, genre
I thought this book was awesome, but I don't think I know anyone I could recommend it to without embarrassment. Weirdo sex scenes ahoy! Other than the sex, though, it's a completely serious novel with all the trappings of respectable modern literature: power-mad sorcerers, fuckfighting unicorns, and water chariots pulled by swarms of tiny fish.
Grey Liliy
This was a really well told story, if I have anything concrete to say about it. The stories of the characters weaved in and out with each other, broken up with interesting and related short stories. Things come back from what seen like unimportant asides, and I appreciate that. Lots of work went into that.

I grew attached to a few characters (though clearly the wrong ones considering how they ended up by the end of the story), but most of them, while interesting, didn't gain my sympathies.

It is d
Allen Garvin
Beautiful, complicated story of another demon of flat earth, and the machinations between death's master and night's master, full of sorcery, weird plot twists, sunken cities, a city of immortality, human and immortal beauty and cruelty... difficult to describe, but haunting.
Joyce Lavene
I LOVE Tanith Lee's writing. I've followed her for years. This books is easily as good as the first in the series, Night's Master. She is the queen of dark fantasy! It's a short read with many graphic and elaborate descriptions that enthralled me.
James West
I read this one first after discovering it in a flea market bin when I was 14. Oh crap...now that explains a lot! I read it several times before I was out of high school and again in college.

Dark, delicious book.
Mickey Schulz
More Tales of the Flat Earth.

I like this series because the Gods are at once inhuman, and fallible, consumed with their own rivalries and plots that may take aeons to come to fruition.
Sirensongs
Upon re-reading, this book was just as darkly wondrous and captivating as the first time I read it, several years ago. Tanith Lee's originality and brilliance will never cease to amaze me.
Bookwatcher
Book 2

Night's Master is book 1 of this serie
Keith Davis
A complex dark fantasy about the mutable nature of sexuality and the ennui that comes with immortality.
Lauren
Book 2 of the Flat Earth series, after Night's Master.
Leslie
Goth-girl dark-mood reading of the highest caliber!
Kerr Cuhulain
A very good read. Very interesting story line.
Virgil S.
This was a truly masterfully written book. The way people, places and things are described are as if a master painter's brushstrokes were transcribed into perfect words. Tanith Lee's huge imagination beautifully populates the canvas of these pages. I again have to compare her mind to the stunning one of Alejandro Jodorowsky, who I would call a spiritual twin. Absurdities are made real in their works and are beautifully crafted.

As for the story itself, it is vast, strange, and more often than not
Ана Хелс
Приключенията в света на Плоската земя, отпреди боговете да се разбудят и създадат живота, такъв какъвто знаем, че е вече загинал преди хилядолетия, продължават с високо признатата и награждавана история за дните и нощите на великия Господар на смъртта или самата Смърт преди качулката и косата. Прекрасният демон Юлум, с белите си коси и черната си кожа, събира душите на напускащите тленността, и ги отвежда в земите отвъд, но понякога и в земите отдолу, в зависимост от сделката, сключена от прите ...more
Duge Buwembo
Excellent book it's a shame that it doesn't hold it together towards the end. This is the third book by Tanith Lee that I have read and second from the tales of flat earth series. This novel can best be described as an epic, sweeping story that will keep you busy for many hours. I was hooked by this book, the interconnecting stories of love, sex, mystery and high fantasy are breathtaking. This is an incredible feat of myth making here, the stories are dark, mature and full of intrigue. Unfortuna ...more
Duncan Mcgregor
Really compelling story although unfortunately the motivations of the key protagonists Shell and Zhirem are too vague and arbitrary to be truly engaging, although there is some satisfaction in the final outcome. The setting is wonderful though, and it's worth reading just for the descriptions and concepts encountered on the Flat Earth. It reminds me greatly of the Dying Earth series, but without Jack Vance's casual misogyny and homophobia. Overall a good read, and a step up from the first book i ...more
Keith Hull
Books like this remind me that there is still great fantasy out there that I haven't read yet. I was feeling like I might have exhausted all the truly great ones already.
Max
Wonderfully written. Such a master of horror in the mind, rather than the gory stuff. So chilling I actually avoided reading further works by Lee.
Otis Campbell
I'm your source of self-destruction
Veins that pump with fear, sucking dark is clear
Leading on your deaths construction
linnea
Tanith Lee's Flat Earth series is a dark, fairy-tale infused fantasy, influenced most by the tales of Scherezade.
Karl
This is copy 110 of 500 signed numbered copies.
Seikaiha
I read this book in Japanese translation so long a go when I was a student. I was fascinated by the previous book, and I was dying to buy this one, which was at that time beyond my budget. I borrowed the copy from my friend and read it times uncountable. I loved particularly Simmu. His/her childhood, love affairs and adventures. And other interesting characters. I now like Lylas, the witch, too.

To fully enjoy this book, you need to read "Night's Master" first. I also recommend the audiobook vers
Susan
I like this book, the second in the Flat Earth series, slightly less than the first book, Night's Master. So its true rating is 4.99 stars.

I feel like someone ask me what was missing in my fantasy reading life and then wrote this series. Also from the little I know of Tanith Lee, I believe her to be my long, lost sister--the one who got all the talent, thank God.
Bex
Aug 30, 2012 Bex marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've gotten a third of the way through this little book. It was more interesting than I thought it would be. But, as fiction it's taking a backseat to more pressing matters; I have no idea about Lee's background, but the veracity of Lee's description of magical culture has me feeling lukewarm.
Mina
Apparently, this is part of a (three volumes in one) book called "The Lords of Darkness" which I already had, so I already finished this. The next one would be "Delusion's Master," which I almost through with. I will leave a review when I finish reading the last segment.
  • Hrolf Kraki's Saga
  • The Turn of the Story
  • A Rope of Thorns (Hexslinger, #2)
  • Velveteen vs. The Multiverse (Velveteen vs., #2)
  • Rituals (Rhapsody of Blood, #1)
  • The Law of Becoming (Jaran, #4)
  • Requiem
  • Lips Like Ice
  • Book of Iron
  • Breath and Bone (Lighthouse, #2)
  • Gloriana
  • Phantazein
  • The Porcelain Dove
  • The Shades of Time and Memory (Wraeththu Histories, #2)
  • Champion of the Rose (Darest, #1)
  • Midnight Sun
  • House of Sand and Secrets (Hobverse #2)
  • Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories
Tanith Lee is a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She is the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She has also written four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a
More about Tanith Lee...

Flat Earth (5 books)
  • Night's Master (Flat Earth, #1)
  • Delusion's Master (Flat Earth, #3)
  • Delirium's Mistress (Flat Earth, #4)
  • Night's Sorceries (Flat Earth, #5)
Wolf Tower (Claidi Journals, #1) Wolf Star (Claidi Journals #2) Wolf Queen (Claidi Journals, #3) Black Unicorn (Unicorn, #1) White as Snow

“The soul is a magician. Only living flesh hampers it.” 15 likes
“Men could not have too much. Ecstasy and vulnerability belonged in the same dish. The fear the cup would be snatched away was what gave the wine its savor and as Zhirem’s cup was sure, so was his joylessness… to die is a fear, but to live is a fear, also.” 0 likes