Start by marking “Bertha Venation: And Hundreds of Other Funny Names of Real People” as Want to Read:
Bertha Venation: And Hundreds of Other Funny Names of Real People

Bertha Venation: And Hundreds of Other Funny Names of Real People

An ideal gift book with personality and charm, Bertha Venation is a legendary editor's lifetime collection of the amazing names of actual people, with his own inimitable wit, commentary, and stories.

Roger Gotobed . . . Ida Slaptor . . . Formica Dinette . . . Honeysuckle Weeks . . . Gay Beach . . . Sappho Clissit . . . Dimple Mystery

This colorful collection of extraordinary
Published October 16th 2007 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Bertha Venation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bertha Venation

David
I hope that Larry Ashmead puts more effort into his job as an editor than he bothered to put into this disappointing, totally shameless excuse for a book.

Here is page 2, almost in its entirety:

here's a recent list of babies born in Upstate New York.

Caiden Lee
Kai Nolan
Autumn Elizabeth
Ashlwyn Zoe
Trinity Jade

Bette Harrison, who keeps an eye on new arrivals at O' Grady Hospital in Atlanta,
Eva Leger
Mar 31, 2012 Eva Leger rated it did not like it
Shelves: b-non-fiction, wtf, humor
Oh man. I was kind of hoping this would be hilarious but if the reviews are telling the truth - and I think they just may be - it's going to be a real disappointment. Luckily I only paid 50 cents for it at Goodwill. :)
I'm going to start glancing trough it today since it's not an actual story and won't take long to finish. Plus, if it sucks as bad as these reviewers say I want it out of here asap.

And guess what all? Oh God I feel bad saying this because the author truly comes off like such a nic
Gabrielle
Feb 22, 2016 Gabrielle rated it it was ok

I picked up this book because it sounded so cool but I was just genuinely disappointed???

There really wasn't anything to it? It was just kind of a collection of different names and a rating of their strangeness?

I genuinely wanted to laugh at this book. I wanted to think it was funny, because the premise itself sounds genuinely hilarious!

And yet, I just couldn't. It definitely did have its moments! Just not as many as I thought I would when I originally picked it up.
D'Anne
Aug 12, 2008 D'Anne rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I picked this book up from the library because the title made me laugh out loud. Unfortunately the rest of the book isn't so funny. Sure there are plenty of funny names mentioned, but to get to them one must also endure the ramblings of Larry Ashmead, who isn't all that interesting. I never did get to the part about the origins of the name the book uses as its title, but I did read several anecdotes about Ashmead's mother and his friends in the publishing world. My guess is that people who ...more
Beth
May 15, 2008 Beth rated it it was ok
Totally disappointed. I was so excited to read this, but it was actually kinda boring. Plus, Ashmead kept adding in stories that had NOTHING to do with anything - for example, what the heck was the Alec Guinness story doing in there?! It was about how the great actor told some kid not to depend so much on Star Wars- and had nothing to do with funny names! Here's hoping any future books will be better.
Mary Sho
Mary Sho rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2008
Ashley
Ashley rated it did not like it
Aug 10, 2016
Tará O'Sullivan
Tará O'Sullivan rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2011
Maria
Maria rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2016
Christopher Carroll
Christopher Carroll rated it liked it
May 22, 2011
Karen
Aug 28, 2014 Karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
So much material for humor, but grows sadly tedious.
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2008
Jean
Jean rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2011
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2008
mary j sweeney
mary j sweeney rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2008
Juanita
Juanita rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2010
Terri
Terri rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2010
Hannah
Hannah rated it did not like it
Apr 04, 2012
Cynthia Wood
Cynthia Wood rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2010
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2007
Arlene Caruso
Arlene Caruso marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2007
Summer
Summer marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2007
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2008
Frank
Frank added it
Feb 06, 2008
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2009
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2010
Lorraine Haataia PhD
Lorraine Haataia PhD marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2011
Riona
Riona added it
Mar 08, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2016