Start by marking “Did Adam and Eve Have Navels?” as Want to Read:
Did Adam and Eve Have Navels?

Did Adam and Eve Have Navels?

Martin Gardner is perhaps the wittiest, most devastating unmasker of scientific fraud and intellectual chicanery of our time. Here he muses on topics as diverse as numerology, New Age anthropology, and the late Senator Claiborne Pell's obsession with UFOs, as he mines Americans' seemingly inexhaustible appetite for bad science. Gardner's funny, brilliantly unsettling expos ...more
Published October 17th 2001 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Did Adam and Eve Have Navels?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Did Adam and Eve Have Navels?

Joseph
Jul 07, 2011 Joseph rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has the potential to be a phenomenal read, if only because of the immense amount of facts and knowledge that the author obviously has, but seriously lacks all types of conviction. The second chapter alone reads like a discourse on what apocalypic movies to watch or not watch, but offers nothing in terms of insight or opinion. Good try, but totally off the mark.
Christopher Fox
Oct 19, 2014 Christopher Fox rated it really liked it
Eclectic erudition. This is the first of Gardner's 70+ books that I've read and what blew my mind, initially, was a combination of the scope of his interests, the range of his research and knowledge and his overwhelming and abiding passion for the pursuit of reason and truth in a scientific world beset by stupidity, falsehood and outright chicanery. The book is a series of essays (and their addenda offering reactions to the original and further argumentation) loosely grouped into large categorie ...more
Sammy
Feb 13, 2013 Sammy rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
What a disappointment.

I've adored Martin Gardner since I first picked up "The Annotated Alice", and he was a one-of-a-kind historian, raconteur, critic, and general pioneer of common sense and rational thinking. I was also amazed, given he was very old at the time of writing this book, to think that he had it in him.

Instead, what I soon learned was that this book was clearly put together from essays, reviews, articles, and other miscellanea previously written. Which is fine, in and of itself. Ma
Roberto Palet
Feb 02, 2015 Roberto Palet rated it liked it
Shelves: periodismo
Did Adam and Eve Have Navels? Una exhaustiva y sarcástica bibliografía de las más variadas y estrafalarias seudociencias y teorías conspirativas. Poca refutación científica, eso sí. Pareciera que no quisiera molestarse en hacerlo, lo que contradice el sentido del libro.
Luis Munoz
Aug 07, 2014 Luis Munoz rated it it was amazing
Martín Gardner es más conocido como un divulgador de las matemáticas (en las famosas columnas Matemáticas Recreativas de la revista Scientific American). Sin embargo, es también conocida sus elegantes denuncias de las pseudo ciencias. Este libro es una colección de ensayos en donde Gardner denuncia como hay mucha basura llena de lenguaje científico hasta sencillamente basura a secas. Desde la orinoterapia, el aura, los extraterrestres... Ni Freud se salva (el capítulo sobre Freud y el psicoanáli ...more
Eve
Sep 04, 2010 Eve rated it it was amazing
Debunking pseudoscience has never sounded better.
Mark
Jan 21, 2016 Mark rated it liked it
Text Addict
This collection of revised/updated essays from Skeptical Inquirer covers a wide range of wackiness, both historical and current (as of 1999). It deals with creationism, odd physics, medicine, social science, psychology, UFOs, and several other topics in a conversational style that makes even quantum physics quite easy to understand (relatively speaking, heh).

I am pleased to note that I now understand quantum physics much better, know who Carlos Castaneda was and why his writings were an insult
Thao Nguyen
Apr 05, 2012 Thao Nguyen added it
Shelves: science
I have to stop half-way of this book (hence I will not give a rating as that would not be fair for the book).

I started off really enjoying reading it. But as I progressed, it got much more annoying as all I absorbed were critics after critics. Understanding that it was the purpose of the book, and as the author also stated in the introduction, the book is a collection of the columns he wrote for a newspaper, still I felt that it was too much to just read about criticism. I felt like I did not le
Jo
Jul 07, 2014 Jo rated it liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Jim Trela
Interesting scientific review of many things
J.
Dec 21, 2012 J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Certainly not one of Gardner's best. This book collects a bunch of essays about pseudoscience and such, but it's just general 'he did this, they wrote that...' There's no charm or witticism. And why is he so cranky at religious people in this volume? I mean, poking fun at religious fundamentalism is pretty standard for Gardner, but here he's got an attitude about people trying to make scientific sense out of religious matters, too. I think maybe he's just getting grumpy in his old age?
Mandy
Apr 09, 2009 Mandy rated it did not like it
I guess everything depends on your point of view. This book is a collection of discourses on things that really don't matter to anyone who has a life outside of questions that make very little difference. The author is a skeptic, and a very close-minded one at that. I'd only recommend this book to those people who love to read overly detailed essays written by an ignorant genius. Good luck wading through the muck.
B
Nov 28, 2009 B rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
500 G Interesting and amusing essays debunking things like UFOs, intelligent design, reflexology, etc. Some of this we all know but he brings alot more to the discussion plus some things I didn't realize. For instance, I never knew there was discussion about whether tribes that practiced cannibalism existed or not. This author puts out debunking books every few years...
Alberto Garcia
May 31, 2013 Alberto Garcia rated it did not like it
Decepción Total
NO tengo nada nuevo que añadir al resto de reviews. Me las prometía con un libro de explicaciones científicas a ciertos aspectos curiosos, y no es más que una recopilación de artículos que divagan sobre unos temas, aportando muchas fuentes y referencias sin incluir ningún tipo de discurso.

No lo he acabado, pero el 50% es más que suficiente.
P.
May 16, 2008 P. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New Age/Fundamentalists/
Yes, they did.

Martin Gardner writes for the Skeptical Inquirer and has gathered some pieces to publish as a book. He debunks some of the more prominent charlatans of our time. It is a good selection of his writing. I especially liked his discussion of Darwin and Stephen Jay Gould's religious beliefs.
Andrew
Jul 21, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first chapter is the best. Otherwise, it is a decent laugh. The author debunks people like Freud, Edison, Newton, Darwin and hits at some other weird-science/religion related topics.
Peter
Jan 23, 2013 Peter rated it liked it
interesting in parts, try not to spend full price on it ( I got it for $1 from charity shop).
Stan Fleetwood
Sep 24, 2014 Stan Fleetwood rated it really liked it
Very interesting.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Fernando Paladini
Fernando Paladini marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Guilherme Passos
Guilherme Passos marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Tristan
Tristan rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Luis Alfredo Peña
Luis Alfredo Peña rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
German
German rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Paulo
Paulo added it
Aug 24, 2016
Leo
Leo rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Angela Shumake
Angela Shumake rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
  • The Borderlands of Science: Where Sense Meets Nonsense
  • The Faith Healers
  • Voodoo Science: The Road from Foolishness to Fraud
  • The Ape That Spoke: Language and the Evolution of the Human Mind
  • The Devil in Dover: An Insider's Story of Dogma v. Darwin in Small-Town America
  • God, the Devil, and Darwin: A Critique of Intelligent Design Theory
  • Intelligent Thought: Science Versus the Intelligent Design Movement
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Evolution vs. Creationism: An Introduction
  • The Skeptic's Dictionary: A Collection of Strange Beliefs, Amusing Deceptions, and Dangerous Delusions
  • 13: The Story of the World's Most Notorious Superstition
  • Why Johnny Can't Tell Right from Wrong: And What We Can Do About It
  • More of the Straight Dope
  • Creationism's Trojan Horse: The Wedge of Intelligent Design
  • Dictionary of Theories
  • The Book of Life: An Illustrated History of the Evolution of Life on Earth
  • Origins Reconsidered: In Search of What Makes Us Human
  • Breaking Their Will: Shedding Light on Religious Child Maltreatment
Martin Gardner was an American mathematics and science writer specializing in recreational mathematics, but with interests encompassing micromagic, stage magic, literature (especially the writings of Lewis Carroll), philosophy, scientific skepticism, and religion. He wrote the Mathematical Games column in Scientific American from 1956 to 1981, and published over 70 books.
More about Martin Gardner...