Start by marking “First There Wasn't, Then There Was” as Want to Read:
First There Wasn't, Then There Was

First There Wasn't, Then There Was

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  29 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Four young men have noticed a peculiar man wandering around the streets downtown where they work, muttering to himself with a trashbag slung over his shoulder. After one of them hatches a plan to capture the strange old man's words, the group quickly realize that the fellow has seen and done things that defy the imagination.

A metaphysical tale of action and adventure that
Published February 28th 2014

To ask other readers questions about First There Wasn't, Then There Was, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First There Wasn't, Then There Was

Linda
Mar 12, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
Exceptional!!

The day this book came out I rushed home from work like crazy, not even caring to take off my coat and running straight to my Kindle to place my order. I don't regret this for a second! As excitedly as I have waited to read this book with a very promising and also mysterious title, it turned out to be a real pageturner wich I could definitely not put aside to go to bed. I had to know what it was all about..

Rarely I've read such originality in a story filled with mysterious and well
Michelle
Mar 02, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This story within a story presents us with a rambling bag man and grown children in suits. The story of the bag man is mysterious and brilliant enough to illicit a change in these men. I hazard to say, a change in the readers. Everyone has a story to tell and we all have an element of magic and uncertainty in us.
Teatum
Aug 03, 2016 Teatum rated it really liked it
If I could revise Mr. Coleridge’s idea of “willing suspension of disbelief” and bring it into a modern era in light of reading Troy Blackford’s latest, “First There Wasn’t, Then There Was,” I’d rewrite it as such:

“Just stick with me on this one, OK? Promise you won’t be disappointed.”

“First There Wasn’t” is an accessible page-turner, along the lines of a Dan Brown or a Dean Koontz, but with much more beautiful turns of phrase and witty metaphor. For all the strange twists and turns as it takes,
Cynthia
Mar 24, 2014 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
For the first time in a very, very long while, I cried after finishing a book. I’ve never been a soppy person with books and films, even if I love them so much. But it just happened. I welled up.

And who did this? None other than Troy Blackford, a brave little writer from the Twin Cities, self-published most of his life, and using the power of social media to advertise his novels and short stories on paper and Kindle.

His latest instalment is called First There Wasn’t, Then There Was, and I refuse
James Kemp
Mar 15, 2014 James Kemp rated it really liked it
Recommended to James by: Troy Blackford
This is a very strange tale, and definitely the sort of thing you'd expect to hear from someone who'd lost everything and was living on the streets.

The premise is that four young guys, all smokers, see an old man shambling around every day when they are out on their smoke breaks. The old man is always talking, never stops or addresses anyone directly and refuses money or any other attempts to engage. He never stands still long enough for them to hear what he says. One day one of the young smoke
Tamara
Mar 26, 2014 Tamara rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, e-books
The Lansburne Leaners are a group of four men who work for Lansburne-Bradley. They got their name because every day at 7:50a.m., 10a.m. and shortly after 3p.m., they go out and have a smoke and lean against the building. One day, they start noticing a homeless man walking each day muttering words they can’t understand. No matter what, they never can get the man to talk to them. Curious as to what the man is muttering, they devise a plan to record the man throughout the day. Once they get the ...more
Matt
Nov 13, 2014 Matt rated it it was amazing
First there was a story, then there was no story, then there was.

What works for mountains can very well work for stories too. After reading this novella for the first time I wondered what it is all about. Is there a deeper meaning to this story, and the story within the story? I was thinking along the lines of a traumatized war vet who is unable to recall his true experiences and wraps them up in an imaginary tale, or of an ex-junkie who dropped too many acid in the past while listening to the l
therhoades
Dec 16, 2014 therhoades rated it it was amazing
I read this book when it first released. I intended to write a review immediately. I enjoyed it thoroughly and wanted everyone to know, but life happened and the days ran away like wild horses over the hills, and I never wrote it. So about a week ago, I was thumbing through my Kindle and decided to re-read this book.

Other reviews give you a synopsis so I won't do that here. In fact, I would recommend you not do that either - this is a book best enjoyed going into it with as little knowledge of t
Doug
Nov 09, 2014 Doug rated it it was amazing
The universe works in mysterious ways... That's the takeaway from this book which, incidentally, I came across after a chance engagement with the author on Twitter.

The good news is, the universe's quirky methodology usually ends up for the better, and my reading this great book is testament to that.

I highly recommend this book...take a chance and read it. You won't be sorry.
Robert Bose
Sep 12, 2014 Robert Bose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: strange
Reminded me of a crazy dream where you don't quite remember all the exact details when you wake up, but you remember enough to think 'What the hell was that...'
Haley
Nov 20, 2014 Haley rated it really liked it
Mike Pollard
Mike Pollard rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2015
LeAnne Nash
LeAnne Nash rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2014
Varelse Cadman
Varelse Cadman rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2014
Carl Graham
Jan 22, 2015 Carl Graham rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Original and surreal but just not my thing!
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2016
Richard Gemoto
Richard Gemoto rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Patrick J Dalton
Patrick J Dalton rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Carlos Samin
Carlos Samin rated it it was ok
May 13, 2014
Pax
Pax rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2014
Antonette
Antonette rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Danielle A
Danielle A rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2014
Mccoy
Mccoy rated it did not like it
Jun 12, 2014
Tom Herring
Tom Herring rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Annie Pick
Annie Pick rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Troy Blackford
Feb 28, 2014 Troy Blackford rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Beverly Wamsley
Beverly Wamsley rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Sharon Jones
Sharon Jones marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Lianne Poisson
Lianne Poisson is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
M. L M.
M. L M. marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Saumya Sharma
Saumya Sharma marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
U.B.
U.B. marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Rachel Marie
Rachel Marie marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Suzanne Jordan
Suzanne Jordan marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Kim O'Gorman
Kim O'Gorman marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Dodie Rumbolt-nicholls
Dodie Rumbolt-nicholls marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Susan Yeager
Susan Yeager marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Manuel Gimeno
Manuel Gimeno marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Helene
Helene marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
K M
K M marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Troy
Troy marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Jeannie Walker
Jeannie Walker marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Jasper
Jasper marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Kees Van
Kees Van marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Liz Butcher
Liz Butcher marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Troy Blackford lives in the Twin Cities. He has nineteen published short stories, and eight longer works available for Kindle and in paperback.

He's right behind you!
More about Troy Blackford...