Start by marking “When Truth Was Treason: German Youth against Hitler: The Story of the Helmuth Hübener Group Based on the Narrative of Karl-Heinz Schnibbe” as Want to Read:

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A chilling, true story of four courageous teenagers who defied the Nazis. Based on a first-person account by one of the surviving conspirators, Karl-Heinz Schnibbe, a working-class son of the city of Hamburg, this book provides a vivid chronicle of the brave young men who faced the awful tyranny of a nation's darkest hour. 20 photos.
Published November 1st 1995 by University of Illinois Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about When Truth Was Treason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Truth Was Treason

Katherine
I'll just say, Helmuth Hubener is absolutely one of my heroes.
Greg Brozeit
Helmuth Hübener—a Mormon arrested at the age of sixteen and beheaded at the age of seventeen in the Plötzensee prison—was the youngest victim in a place reserved for the execution of political enemies of the Nazi state. Hübener’s crime was secretly listening to German BBC in the Hamburg home of his grandparents, writing cards and flyers summing up the broadcasts and, with the help of three friends, distributing them in telephone booths and mailboxes in various parts of the city.

When Truth Was Tr
Cindi
This book was difficult to read because of descriptions of what happened to prisoners. Karl-Heinz Schnibbe participated in resistance by handing out pamphlets typed by Helmuth Hubener. Helmuth got his information by listening to illegal bbc radio. Helmuth and three other boys including Karl were tried and Helmuth was condemned to die. The other three (because Helmuth took most of the blame) were given prison sentences. Karl had served the majority of his prison term when he was needed in the Ger ...more
Bethany
This book is about a group of young men who decided to rebel against Hitler by distributing anti-Nazi leaflets. Eventually they were caught and recieved varying degrees of puishment for their actions. It's a truly amazing story of courage and dignity in a time of chaos.

The book is basically an interview given by one of the men who participated in the the rebellion. While his story is incredible, I wish that the book had been written as a narrative instead. There were details that I wanted more o
Jeremy
I had the privilege of meeting Karl-Heinz Schnibbe and may not have married my wife without his encouragement. This is the best real example I've ever read about having the courage to do what you know is right.
Doris
Though I find this book poorly translated (sometimes too literally, I think it interferes with the flow of the narration), the story is amazing and appalling. The fact that so many of the original documents are either photographed or transcribed into the appendix makes it a valuable resource of Nazi history. The trials people went through and the compulsion some felt to share the truth with those around them, even at the cost of their own lives, is inspiring.
Aliza
I've read this twice, once as a college student and once as a mother of three sons - Amazing how that affects the emotions you have while reading a book like this. I appreciate how it depicted the life in the Third Reich in a real way. I didn't feel like the Narrator excused the evil done, yet still got across how the choices the Germans of that time faced weren't always as black and whitley simple as we'd like to portray them.
Kathryn
Although this is a very interesting book, which has quite a lot of official documents and historical information about the boys' experience, I have to say I enjoyed Rudi Wobbe's account, Three Against Hitler, more. I think it has to do with the attitude of the writer. Karl-Heinz was much more cynical than Rudi, which made for a less inspiring read of the same events.
Amanda
This was a great story about overcoming adversity. The things that happened to Schnibbe and his friends were truly horrible. I cried when Schnibbe described seeing his brother after so many years and his brother dropping everything to go and embrace his brother. Although the writing is somewhat repetitive at times, I just have to say that this story really amazes me.
This is just ridiculously good. Not in a "hey, this story was fun!" way but in an inspiring and human way. Everyone should read it. Plus all the documentation at the end, which just goes to show that the Nazis loved their record-keeping a leetle too much.
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Subramanian S
Subramanian S marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Rodrigo
Rodrigo marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Madison Houghton
Madison Houghton marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Apzmarshl
Apzmarshl marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Riya
Riya marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Setara
Setara marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Rae
Rae marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Hubener vs. Hitler: A Biography of Helmuth Hubener, Mormon Teenage Resistance Leader