Start by marking “When Truth Was Treason: German Youth against Hitler: The Story of the Helmuth Hübener Group Based on the Narrative of Karl-Heinz Schnibbe” as Want to Read:

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A chilling, true story of four courageous teenagers who defied the Nazis. Based on a first-person account by one of the surviving conspirators, Karl-Heinz Schnibbe, a working-class son of the city of Hamburg, this book provides a vivid chronicle of the brave young men who faced the awful tyranny of a nation's darkest hour. 20 photos.
Published November 1st 1995 by University of Illinois Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about When Truth Was Treason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Truth Was Treason

Greg Brozeit
Oct 05, 2015 Greg Brozeit rated it really liked it
Helmuth Hübener—a Mormon arrested at the age of sixteen and beheaded at the age of seventeen in the Plötzensee prison—was the youngest victim in a place reserved for the execution of political enemies of the Nazi state. Hübener’s crime was secretly listening to German BBC in the Hamburg home of his grandparents, writing cards and flyers summing up the broadcasts and, with the help of three friends, distributing them in telephone booths and mailboxes in various parts of the city.

When Truth Was Tr
Gwen Burrow
Jan 06, 2016 Gwen Burrow rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
The translation is weak, sounding more like Victorian British English than its original German, but the story is still inspiring. And grim. Three German teenagers, led by the remarkably shrewd and prescient Helmuth Hübener, secretly listen to Allied radio broadcasts, write the truth about Hitler and the war, and post pamphlets all over town. For that, the Nazis behead Helmuth and send his friends to concentration camps. A sober but rousing story for an increasingly Orwellian America.
Katherine
Oct 22, 2012 Katherine rated it it was amazing
I'll just say, Helmuth Hubener is absolutely one of my heroes.
Cindi
Nov 30, 2009 Cindi rated it really liked it
This book was difficult to read because of descriptions of what happened to prisoners. Karl-Heinz Schnibbe participated in resistance by handing out pamphlets typed by Helmuth Hubener. Helmuth got his information by listening to illegal bbc radio. Helmuth and three other boys including Karl were tried and Helmuth was condemned to die. The other three (because Helmuth took most of the blame) were given prison sentences. Karl had served the majority of his prison term when he was needed in the Ger ...more
Bethany
Jul 22, 2008 Bethany rated it liked it
This book is about a group of young men who decided to rebel against Hitler by distributing anti-Nazi leaflets. Eventually they were caught and recieved varying degrees of puishment for their actions. It's a truly amazing story of courage and dignity in a time of chaos.

The book is basically an interview given by one of the men who participated in the the rebellion. While his story is incredible, I wish that the book had been written as a narrative instead. There were details that I wanted more o
Jeremy
Jan 27, 2014 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of meeting Karl-Heinz Schnibbe and may not have married my wife without his encouragement. This is the best real example I've ever read about having the courage to do what you know is right.
Doris
Mar 16, 2010 Doris rated it liked it
Though I find this book poorly translated (sometimes too literally, I think it interferes with the flow of the narration), the story is amazing and appalling. The fact that so many of the original documents are either photographed or transcribed into the appendix makes it a valuable resource of Nazi history. The trials people went through and the compulsion some felt to share the truth with those around them, even at the cost of their own lives, is inspiring.
Aliza
Aug 05, 2009 Aliza rated it it was amazing
I've read this twice, once as a college student and once as a mother of three sons - Amazing how that affects the emotions you have while reading a book like this. I appreciate how it depicted the life in the Third Reich in a real way. I didn't feel like the Narrator excused the evil done, yet still got across how the choices the Germans of that time faced weren't always as black and whitley simple as we'd like to portray them.
Kathryn
Sep 29, 2008 Kathryn rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Although this is a very interesting book, which has quite a lot of official documents and historical information about the boys' experience, I have to say I enjoyed Rudi Wobbe's account, Three Against Hitler, more. I think it has to do with the attitude of the writer. Karl-Heinz was much more cynical than Rudi, which made for a less inspiring read of the same events.
Naomi Kerr
Aug 27, 2015 Naomi Kerr rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational
I really like this story but I don't like the creative liberties that the author took. I feel like it doesn't represent the Karl-Heinz Schnibbe that I see in other narratives. I love the number of sources in the back and the fact that it allows you to do your own research. Actually, some of the most chilling aspects of this story came from those sources.
Amanda
Nov 27, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it
This was a great story about overcoming adversity. The things that happened to Schnibbe and his friends were truly horrible. I cried when Schnibbe described seeing his brother after so many years and his brother dropping everything to go and embrace his brother. Although the writing is somewhat repetitive at times, I just have to say that this story really amazes me.
This is just ridiculously good. Not in a "hey, this story was fun!" way but in an inspiring and human way. Everyone should read it. Plus all the documentation at the end, which just goes to show that the Nazis loved their record-keeping a leetle too much.
David
Aug 26, 2015 David rated it really liked it
Excellent book and interesting information.
Book
Book added it
Aug 10, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Nate Crocker
Nate Crocker marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Karen Kinghorn
Karen Kinghorn rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Mr.
Mr. marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Shayla
Shayla added it
Feb 10, 2016
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Maria Byler
Maria Byler marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
M Jarman
M Jarman marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015