Start by marking “Fear of the Collar: The True Story of the Boy They Couldn't Break” as Want to Read:
Fear of the Collar: The True Story of the Boy They Couldn't Break

Fear of the Collar: The True Story of the Boy They Couldn't Break

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Sent to an Industrial School in Dublin at the age of seven, Patrick Touher was forced into a tough regime of education and training, prayer and punishment, strict discipline and fearful nights. No allowances were made for emotion, sentiment or boyhood worries, and anyone who disturbed the routine was severely punished. Artane demanded absolute obedience, absolute submissio ...more
Published July 5th 2007 by Ebury Press (first published June 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Fear of the Collar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear of the Collar

Love
I am very sorry to say that this book only deserves 2.5 stars in my eyes. I did not want to give it only 2 because it did deserve more than that. I had to force my self through this one. I read alot of books of this genre and rarely do I like to put them down. So this was hard for me. I do feel sorry for what these boys went through. I do believe Patrick is a very brave man to have gone through this and emerged a functional man. The fact that he did not even leave that school able to completely ...more
Charlotte Dexter
This book took me to new levels of emotions that I didn't know I had. I had a lot of compassion for the children in this book.
I couldn't put this book down until I had finished it, and finished it in two days.
Definatley worth a read, unlike many true life tradgedie books, this author went into many details where many would sencor or shy away from for one reason or another, which was somewhat disturbing, but I could not help but commend the author for being so honest.
Cdmanejero1
This book is a written like a roller coaster with ups and downs. All the abuse he got was compressed in the first half of the book that the my mind wants to explode but at the second half almost nothing eventful happens, like the author lost steam in writing midway. The way he told his story felt like the abuse he got was due to the incompetent people who passed as "Brothers" but the structure of the school seems very good. There are many books in this genre but this book, which is sad, has stil ...more
Anna
Feb 21, 2014 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Patirick Touher's book is an autobiographical heartbraking story about children's life in Artne Idustiral School in Dublin. Education held by Christian Brothers was tough regime full of punishments for no reason and strick discipline . As a matter of fact that wasn't the worse part of livnig there.
This little boy's story left me with nightmares for several weeks ,
couldn't stop thinking about Brothers cruelty; brutal beatings and even more painful - sexual abuse.

My heart goes to Patrick and to
Jen
hmmm, I've read several books dealing with similar matters. I found this to be not as well written as some others, but I guess this is autobiographical and sometimes it is hard to be blunt and lyrical at the same time.

It is a rather disturbing piece of history, but I'm glad that the author had chosen to portray both the good and bad side of the school and not just focus on the bad, which some other books have done. It seems an honest recount.

Recommended for people who want an insight into life
J.J. Toner
Patrick Touher's first book. An autobiographical account of his life of constant fear as an orphaned child in the hands of sadistic child molesters who called themselves Christian Brothers. Brutal beatings for little or no reason were commonplace, everyday occurences, and sexual abuse was perpetrated on the boys by a number of the brothers over many years.

I couldn't recommend this book, except as a touchstone for anyone researching these events.

Patrick's second book "Scars that run Deep" covers
Debbie Mortimer
Very thought provoking and heart rending book. Sad that so many boys suffered all forms of abuse whilst under the care of the Catholic Church and that it went unrecognised for so long. My heart goes out to Patrick and to all the other boys that suffered.
Gill
I have read similar stories to this about schools in Ireland, boys and girls. It still amazes me the disturbing things that went on.

This story is different in that it is not all about the bad but also the good times had there.
Rona
A memoir of a child in an industrial home in Ireland and his abuse at the hands of the Christian Brothers. He also talks about how he set about suing the Brothers for his abuse at their hands. A Heartbreaking story.
Debbie
Very good book. Unreal what some of these kids went through. Highly recommend.
Krishna
Krishna marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Angela Newby
Angela Newby marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Amy Carey
Amy Carey marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Zoeylow
Zoeylow marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014