Start by marking “The Celtic Riddle (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Celtic Riddle (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #4)

The Celtic Riddle (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery #4)

Toronto shopkeeper Lara McClintoch is back--and heading for Ireland--in this thrilling new novel in the series called exotically absorbing and culturally colorful by The Midwest Book Review.
Published December 12th 2000 by Prime Crime (first published December 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Celtic Riddle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Celtic Riddle

Michelle
This series keeps getting better with each book. Th author continues to introduce new characters and develops them well. This particular installment took place in Ireland and is infused with history and lore of the land. While this is a series, do not feel as if you must read from the start. While there is familiarity of characters, the author does a pretty good job of mini-introductions so the new reader is not in the dark.
Jill Bradley
Jul 09, 2013 Jill Bradley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was a kid and loved it. Reading it again, I realize that it's still very awesome and amazing! I love the nostalgia.

The plot is great, the mystery is wonderful, the characters are flawed and lovable. The only problem I have is how almost easily the find the clues. They just found the local fisherman/historian and voila! clues! but it's still an awesome journey.
Elizabeth Parker
Mar 05, 2013 Elizabeth Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun mystery for anyone who loves Ireland. It's a puzzle based on an ancient Celtic poem. What makes it doubly fun is that it was adapted as a 2003 MURDER, SHE WROTE movie, substituting Jessica Fletcher as the sleuth.
Clyde
May 19, 2013 Clyde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!
Marge
Dec 27, 2012 Marge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lyn Hamilton is just such a good writer!!!!
Sharon
Sep 14, 2013 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Antiques dealer Lara McClintoch can't seem to keep out of trouble. What should have been a simple trip to Ireland, to support a friend who is receiving an unexpected inheritance, sees McClintoch enmeshed in family drama, murder and mayhem.

This is the second of Lyn Hamilton's books that I have read and, as with The Xibalba Murders, I enjoyed it thoroughly. Hamilton's characters are complex, entertaining and believable -- as are the situations in which she places them.

It is always hard to review a
Lansing Public Library
Toronto antiques dealer and amateur sleuth, Lara McClinton, accompanies a co-worker to Ireland for the reading of the will of an eccentric businessman, who gives his family clues from an ancient Celtic poem that will lead to a great treasure. The treasure hunt turns deadly and Lara can’t resist the opportunity to try and catch the killes.

The reading group rated this book 4.

The group liked the book. They all had trouble following the clues to finding the treasure. They were all surprised to learn
Aug 25, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
At first I thought that it would be difficult to read this book - not in the sense that it was challenging to understand, but the chapters were long so I worried that I would have a hard time getting into it. I was wrong. I quickly got into this book and the story/mystery of it. I didnt even predict the ending! It was a great little mystery and I have a huge love for Irish things so the two went hand in hand brilliantly for me. :)
Terri Lynn
Sep 22, 2011 Terri Lynn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with Lyn Hamilton's series recently except for this one. It hardly seemed to have been in the same series. I don't know why, but this was simply boring, dull, and dry as dust. I detested all of the characters and the whole story and had to force myself to read the whole thing. I tried to be fair by reading it all but it was a trial. I do NOT recommend this.
Kathy
Feb 26, 2011 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Celtic Riddle, by Lyn Hamilton is a challenging acrhaeological mystery filled with twists and turns, colorful descriptions of characters and Celtic myth. I found it to be successfully well-written and absorbing from the start to the finish.
Jenn
Jun 08, 2010 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
With this busy month, it took over a month to read Lyn's 4th book. Enjoyed it very much and am curious about her other books, which ones are worth looking into, are they just as interesting as this one....
Maria
Oct 23, 2009 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have read all of her archeological mysteries and look forward to more. I like that the main character is realistic and not irritating in any way.
Deborah
May 06, 2012 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story from a Canadian author. Interesting note about this book - it was used as the basis for one of the Murder She Wrote made for TV movies that aired after the series was over.
Robin
Sep 13, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I have read this book. It was an enjoyable mystery set in Ireland with some Irish folk history included.
Shannon
Love all of Lyn's books.

I enjoyed the Irish countryside in this one and the puzzles that the protagonist has to unravel.
Joan
Feb 10, 2017 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rich Irish man, Eamon Byrne dies of brain cancer. He leaves a very nasty will calling his family names and a riddle they have to solve to get more money. Lara McClintoch, come with her friend, Alex who will inherit Rose Cottage. Alex saved Eamon's life earlier in his life. Lara is good at solving riddles and wants to help Alex find the money because he will need the money to keep Rose Cottage. The Byrne family is very nasty and say they will not look for the money. However, people are dying th ...more
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 Althea Ann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book is part of the "Archaeological Mystery' series, the only 'archaeology' in it is a passing remark by the narrator, Lara, that she was formerly married to a Mexican archaeologist. Rather a disappointment there.

Lara, a 40-something antique dealer from Toronto, has gone to Ireland with a friend to hear a reading of a will. Apparently, years in the past, her friend saved Eamon Byrne (the deceased gentleman)'s life, so he's once of the inheritors. However, all the other beneficiarie
C.
Nov 27, 2012 C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: up-to-2012
I adore the late Lyn Hamilton. I discovered “The Celtic Riddle” at a sale my fiancé & I attend biannually. Last year, we were leaving when the Celtic theme caught my eye. Lukewarm Amazon comments had deterred me from this series before. However I have Irish heritage and noting the author is Canadian, I was sold. I’ve never found public feedback more off-base than about this body of work. Lyn’s style or extravagant locations get nitpicked but also garner five-star enthusiasm. Each novel highl ...more
Cathy Cramer
I had a hard time getting through this book. I first picked it up, hoping for a thriller to distract me from the mechanics of flying, but I found I was more interested in the trip than the book.

By the time I picked the book up again, I had forgotten who some of the characters were and kept confusing Rob and Alex, whom I realize are two totally different people. Rob is Jennifer's father, and Alex is Lara's friend who interited Rose Cottage.

Next, I lost the book at a dr.'s office and it took me s
Alison C
May 18, 2015 Alison C rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In The Celtic Riddle , by Lyn Hamilton, Toronto antique store owner Lara McClintoch travels to Ireland with her friend Alex Stewart, who has been named in the will of a very wealthy Irish tycoon whom he had known many years earlier. The tycoon, aware of his family's disunity, has left a series of clues for the people named in his will, indicating that they will lead to a great treasure, but that treasure can only be found if the group all works together. He has under-estimated the rancour amo ...more
Amy "the book-bat"
This book fulfills requirement #2 (historical mystery) for the 2013 eclectic reader challenge.

This book is the 4th in the archaeological mystery series by Lyn Hamilton. There was a lot of Irish/pre-Celtic history and mythology throughout the book. I found that very interesting, however I also found myself struggling with the Irish/Celtic words and names, which made reading go slower than usual. The story itself was interesting and kept me guessing what would happen next and who the murderer was.
LJ
The Celtic Riddle - G
Hamilton, Lyn - 4th in the Archaeological Mystery series

The co-owner of a Toronto antiques store, Lara McClintoch is obsessed with finding rare and beautiful artifacts. Her travels take her to the ends of the earth, where history jealously guards its treasures-and where the mysteries of the past meet hte dangers of the present...

Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Christian Jones
Kate
"Lara accompanies her employee to County Kerry, Ireland, for the reading of an old friend's will. The well-to-do Eamon Byrne left each of his quarreling heirs a clue -- a piece of a puzzle that would lead to a mysterious treasure -- but the family would have to work together, combining the clues to give them meaning. When Lara discovers the ancient Celtic poem that serves as the key, she begins to close in on the treasure, fascinated by the intricate riddle. Line by line, stanza by stanza, she c ...more
Teresa
Oct 20, 2016 Teresa rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
A decent mystery, though I figured it out before the end, which was a disappointment, given the large cast of characters, historical/mythological references and clues. I loved that a real, historic Irish poem was part of the story, and loved the descriptions of places. A likeable heroine, and interesting characters with intriguing back-stories, but something about this seemed a little like an Agatha Christie made-for-TV movie. I'm not sure if I'll seek out other books by this author, or not. Ent ...more
Donna
Aug 11, 2013 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2013
I like mysteries in which I also learn something. This looked like a promising series as the sleuth is an antiques dealer who travels the world and so each book focuses on a different culture. The book wasn't terrible but the plot was just filled with holes and awkward coincidences. I won't be continuing with the series.
Rhonda
Aug 14, 2008 Rhonda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a pretty good cozy mystery. the main character, and antiques dealer, was likeable. the irish countryside made a nice backdrop ( it sounded beautiful !).the book was subtitled "an archaeological mystery" and i fail to see why. no one was an archaeologist. there were no digs - only some antiques. oh well - still a good light cozy for a quick read.
Writerlibrarian
This is the strongest of the series so far. Lara is finally, finally getting some depth and the secondary characters are interesting and engaging. The riddle is amusing, the plot keeps you interested, yes, I knew who did it midway through so the "surprise" reveal wasn't one but overall I liked this one more than the first three.
Susan Laddon
Easy read, pretty good. Nothing spectacular, and halfway through I skipped the paragraphs in italics that told the Celtic fairy tales. I wish I could pronounce Gaelic/Irish, but I can't. I know a few pronunciations, but for the most part, I know I get it completely wrong. That didn't keep me from liking the overall story, it was enjoyable enough.
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • Ashes and Bones (An Emma Fielding Mystery, #6)
  • Old Bones (Gideon Oliver, #4)
  • A Darker God (Laetitia Talbot, #3)
  • Murder at Mullings
  • Slayer of Gods (Lord Meren, #6)
  • The Secret of the Ruby Ring
  • The Rules of Engagement
  • The Whispers of Nemesis
  • Blood Relations (Torie O'Shea, #6)
  • A Girl's Guide to Demon Hunting
  • The King's Gold: An Old World Novel of Adventure
  • Ten Lords A-Leaping (Father Christmas Mystery, #3)
Lyn Elizabeth Hamilton was a Canadian author of archaeological mystery novels.

She worked in communications in the public service and private companies before publishing her first novel at the age of 50. She had been director of Cultural Programs Branch for the province of Ontario and director of public affairs for the Canadian Opera Company. Later, Hamilton taught mystery writing for the School fo
More about Lyn Hamilton...

Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1)
  • The Maltese Goddess (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #2)
  • The Moche Warrior (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #3)
  • The African Quest (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #5)
  • The Etruscan Chimera (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #6)
  • The Thai Amulet (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #7)
  • The Magyar Venus (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #8)
  • The Moai Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #9)
  • The Orkney Scroll (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #10)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)