Start by marking “ASTERIX EL GALO” as Want to Read:
ASTERIX EL GALO

ASTERIX EL GALO (Asterix #1)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  14,016 ratings  ·  238 reviews
Dans le camp fortifié romain Petibonum, on se pose des questions : comment les Irréductibles Gaulois du village d’Astérix font-ils pour ridiculiser encore et toujours la puissance romaine ? Décidé à percer à jour le mystère de la force surhumaine de nos héros, le centurion Caius Bonus envoie un espion déguisé en Gaulois.

C’est Caligula Minus qui s’y colle, et découvre bien
Published 1986 by GRIJALBO MONDADORI, S.A. (first published October 29th 1959)

To ask other readers questions about ASTERIX EL GALO, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Ted
May 19, 2015 Ted rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ???
3 1/2

UPDATE at bottom

I got this over Christmas last, when I saw some lying in a book store. There are (according to a list inside the front cover) 33 Books available in English translation, available singly or in Omnibus editions of 3 Books each.

I glanced at it, browsing a bit as it lay on the table in my family room for months. Amusing.

I had really picked it up for my grandson, who's just turned seven. But when I tried to interest him in it, he was not very enthusiastic. Perhaps he saw a bunch
Bruce
Well, *have* you read all the Asterix books? It's a fair question. We've read these, but these aren't all. There are, in fact, at least 8 not identified here. Quick quiz Asterix fans - can you name them without resorting to internet memory? [image error]

I had the tremendous good fortune to find all but a few of the published volumes in one of our local libraries, and to be able to borrow the remainder of those I could not find from a friend who collects them. If you've yet to be introduced to th
FeReSHte
آستریکس یه نوستالژیه
همیشه عاشق طریقه ی نقاشی کاراکترها و رنگ های زنده تصاویرش بودم
خود کاراکترها و طنز داستان هم جالب بود
خوب بود در کل
Ken-ichi
Oh man. I grew up reading these. Facts gleaned from Asterix still probably constitute the majority of my admittedly scant knowledge of European geography and history. Vitalstatistix! Cacophonix! Whoever did the translations was a genius.
Maria Carmo
Brilliant! This very first volume of Asterix is so very funny, and it is like a taste of what is coming with this series: lots of humour, cunning characters and a crude depiction of some of the best and worst psychological characteristics of humanity!

Definitely worth reading this series!

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 6 April 2015.
Jonatan Iversen-Ejve
Asterix is definitely one of my favorite comic book series of all time. I've only come to like the albums more as I grow older, and seeing as I reread them at least once a year I thought it only right that I take a shot at reviewing them as well. Keep in mind that I read the Swedish editions and might get a few names wrong. I'll try to stick to the English names as much as I can.

So, here goes. Asterix the Gaul is the very first album, and it shows. For me the whole thing always felt like some so
David Sarkies
The first Asterix album
14 April 2012

Now that I have the complete Tintin collection I decided that I would get my hands on the other comic book series that I liked as a child, which surprise, surprise, was Asterix. I am sure many of you already know the premise behind Asterix, but since this is the first of the albums I thought that I might run through it anyway. The story is set in 50BC after Julius Ceaser has conquered Gaul, or almost. There is one little village on the coast of Gaul that just
Helmut
Eine haarige Angelegenheit
Manchmal fällt es einem Rezensenten schwer, die richtigen Worte zu finden. Mir geht das bei Büchern so, die ich schon so lange kenne, dass man denkt, alles wurde darüber schon gesagt - und die Astérix-Reihe ist so ein Fall. Wer kennt es nicht, wer hat es nicht schon als Kind gelesen? Was soll ich Euch also erzählen, was Ihr nicht eh schon wisst?

Auch wenn die Zeichnungen in den ersten paar Seiten noch etwas ungelenk wirken, ist der Charakter der Figuren schon voll ausgea
Manas Maity
Asterix the Gaul is the first book of a series that took comics to a new height. Since I have read it after enjoying a few others in the series, it is difficult to make an unbiased review of it. However, with the benefit of hindsight it may be said that the characters have 'arrived', but to be properly fleshed out and filled up. Particularly Obelix, who is quite slim, if not so thin. We are sure though that consuming more than one boars at at time, he has made a promising start towards his perso ...more
Pramod Nair
Ah! Asterix and his picturesque little village in Gaul with its stubborn yet hilarious bunch of residents gave me such a heavy dose of enjoyment during my high school vacation days.

Each volume of this series is supremely rich in wonderful cartoon sketches, lots of humor and superb characters. Full marks goes to René Goscinny and Albert Uderzo for creating a bunch of such loveable characters and an exciting series of humorous adventures based on political & historical references. The transla
Kim
One of my favourite comic series of all time. This series really increased my love of history. Like the Tintin reread I'm doing I will also endeavour to read all the Asterix books once again.

Unlike Tintin the early Asterix comics are much more accessible. There is no blatant racism. It's just a fun little adventure. The first book is just an introduction to the main characters and their abilities.

I can't wait to get through the rest of the series.
Chris
You haven't met Asterix before? Shame on you. Don't you know that Asterix is so famous he becomes the French farmer facing down the Roman Mickey D's?

Yes, the story is simplstic, but all the things that make Asterix great are here. The punning names, the silly plot, the smart Gauls, the boars.

Great start to a great series.
Ioanna
I have read i think all of them...and there is not one i liked less.....This series helped me though my exams to enter university....i would wake up in the morning read one intallment and then i would start studying....and i have re-read them like a thousand times....:)
Bronwen
I read all the Asterix books multiple times when I was a kid & loved them to pieces. I think it's almost time for a fresh reread!
Coenraad
Wat 'n plesier om die avonture van Asterix in skitterende Afrikaans te kan lees! Dit is nogal sprekend dat dié dapper, hardekwas klein Galliër reeds 50 jaar gelede die eerste keer in boekvorm verskyn het, en nou weer in Afrikaans 'oorgeklank' word. Daar was jare gelede enkele Asterix-avonture in Afrikaans; nou het Protea die taak aangepak om die hele reeks te vertaal en beskikbaar te stel.

Die verhaal is seker bekend aan Asterix-aanhangers: die Romeine, wat onder Julius Caesar se leiding die hele
Muhammad Shakhawat Hossain
Okay, I'm not sure if I'm 'too grown up' for enjoying Asterix series but I didn't like the humours much. The plot was very linear and the storyline lacks complexity. All the villains are made too naive and downgraded in terms of their intelligence. The protagonists can subdue them very easily with their 'superior' intellect. At times things became too trivial. It basically occurred to me as an alternate world created from a hardcore French (or more accurately Gaulish) nationalist view where the ...more
Mythili
Years ago my dad bought the entire collection of Asterix and I had read most of them. Even though I remember the plotlines and the hilarious names, rereading is just as much fun! There is never a dull moment and the situations are so excessively hilarious that I find myself shutting the book to laugh for a good couple of minutes and resuming a moment later.

As far as comics go, Asterix is the best when it comes to historical and political satire. I would recommend this to pretty much anyone.
Isdlions
This is a funny story of the great(and funny, crazy)warrior Asterix, his friend Obelix,(and his dog Dogmatix)the druid getafix who brews magic potion. There is also an bard (with an annoyingly bad voice), Cacofonix. Cacofonix thinks he's a genious. It all takes place in Gaul,year B.C.50. In the story, a roman spy dressed up like an gaul comes to know the secret of their strength. The gauls think he is a real Gaul, and they invite him in! They also gives the Magic potion, too! But when they dance ...more
Alayne
4.5/5

¡¡Me encantó!! Ojalá tuviera los números que siguen para poder seguir leyendo sobre las aventuras de Astérix, porque esto se lee en nada y te divierte muchísimo (además de hacerte cagar de risa).
¡Qué gran historieta, por favor!
Usama Albastaki
This is the first volume of Asterix series. It wasn't my introduction to the world of Asterix and Obelix but it could be a good introduction to someone who will start to read the series, despite that Obelix have minor role in this story. As with the other stories, Goscinny has shinned with beautiful story line and his magical touch of humor that makes you lough from the heart.

In general, Asterix and Obelix is representative of a people in a small village/country who keep the culture preserved fr
Karhum Ghassan
Asterix the Gaul is the first book of a series that took comics to another level. Since I have read it after enjoying others in the same series, it is difficult to make review of it. However,it may be said that the characters have 'arrived'.In particular Obelix, who is quite slender, if not so thin. I am sure that eating more than one boar at at time, he has made a promising start towards his personal fulfillment. The Romans are also immature and surrender rather 'immaturely'. Again, it may be s ...more
Matthew Hunter
Funny. Smart. Irreverent. I loved it! The punny names work perfectly - a Roman Centurian General named Crismus Bonus, a Centurian of lower rank named Ginantonix, a Druid that provides strength potions to the Gauls named Getafix, a bad bard named Cacofonix. Then there are appetites big enough to eat two entire boars at one sitting. Critical commentary on imperialism and classical civilization. Bright, Looney Tunes-like artwork. It all comes together into something humorous, entertaining, and nice ...more
Gary
Asterix the Gaul is the first book of the Asterix series where a Gaulish village is surrounded by roman camps and the only reason they are holding out against them is the magic potion their druid brews.
In this series the Romans try to find the source of their foes unnatural abilities by disguising one of their solders as a Gaul and allowing the villagers to free him. While there he convinces them to let him drink the potion but then is found out to be a spy. He escapes and shows his commander th
Brad Pitts
Oct 24, 2014 Brad Pitts is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
bdbdbdb
Riku Sayuj
Learning French through comics. Good fun.
Molly
Since I have always been a fan of the Asterix PEZ dispensors I knew I should probably read the graphic novel. I am so happy I did. I can see these working as a great read aloud for the fans of Bone. It is a smart comic about good guys, bad guys and kinda bad guys. I really got a good laugh and enjoyed seeing how the Gauls stayed out of trouble. Grades 3+
Krishna Kumar
As the first book in the series, "Asterix the Gaul" introduces us to the village where Asterix lives and the secret of the magic potion that helps them stave off the Romans. When the story starts, the Romans are still unaware of the secret and keep getting beaten up without knowing why. A spy is dispatched and he manages to find the secret and get back to the Roman camp. The Romans capture Druid Getafix, but soon Asterix reaches the camp and they make a mockery of the Romans’ attempts to get Get ...more
Sandra
With the exception of Mickey Mouse, this was my favorite comics series as a child and into young adulthood. I would love to get my hands on copies of these.
K. Taylor
I thought that it was funny in a fair few parts. Glad I read this one first...little unlucky that the library doesn't have them all
Teresa
Asterix was my favourite cartoon style picture book, we always couldnt wait to ge tthe next one from the library
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
  • Land of Black Gold (Tintin, #15)
  • Dalton City (Lucky Luke Adventure, vol. 3)
  • The Complete Guide To Asterix
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

Series:
* Asterix
More about René Goscinny...

Asterix (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Asterix, #5)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)
  • Asterix and the Chieftain's Shield (Asterix, #11)
Le petit Nicolas (Le petit Nicolas, #1) Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6) Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8) Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3) Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)