Start by marking “A Feather To Fly With” as Want to Read:
A Feather To Fly With

A Feather To Fly With

In Regency England, young ladies make their fortune by marrying it. But Cleo Cooper has come to London with a different idea – she’s going to make her fortune by stealing it. Raised abroad by unconventional parents, Cleo has no use for the rules and strictures of the ton. She’ll pretend to fit in, but she has a secret scheme.
Arthur Ramsey, Duke of Winton, is in the market
Published February 24th 2014 by Joyce Harmon

To ask other readers questions about A Feather To Fly With, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Feather To Fly With

Gerrie
This was an absolutely delightful traditional regency. I believe it's the author's first regency romance, and I understand she has written at least two more with secondary characters from this book. I look forward to reading them.
Katie Kofemug
Apr 09, 2014 Katie Kofemug rated it it was amazing
Surrounded by society, servants and a sense of humor, Justin Amesbury valiantly guides the bewildered Arthur Ramsey, sixth Duke of Winton on his matrimonial quest, little realizing his own heart is in peril. Socially awkward Arthur, with further assistance from his mother, might manage to attach the woman fit to be her successor, if he approaches it all with the proper scientific method, takes good notes and remembers to send flowers, not books, as tokens of his regard.

Like the song says, “But i
Amy
Mar 12, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun read, absolutely delightful! I loved the secondary characters as much as the primary ones (I want a younger brother like Han!). The dialogue is clever and witty. I especially loved that the hero is a bit geeky and socially awkward.
Laura Thomas
Dec 20, 2015 Laura Thomas rated it really liked it
Madcap RECENCY Adventure

I consider this story along the lines of a lighter Heyer novel.Liked the plot love the characters especially Arthur, Cleo.
Tracy
Jun 03, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it
Heyeresque regency romance

Very few Regency romances can evoke Georgette Heyer these days as well as Joyce Harmon's "A Feather to Fly With." The heroine finds herself without said "feather" or funds and determines to swindle her way to financial success. She has no interest in marrying a fortune when she can get one by her wits, so she's a mystery to the members of the ton.

The reversal of typical romance roles with a savvy heroine and a somewhat clueless hero (at least socially clueless) was a ni
Barbara A Martin
Aug 03, 2015 Barbara A Martin rated it it was amazing
This is a Regency Romance. By its very nature, this type of story is formulaic. That does not lessen its appeal. There is the Duke of Winton, an attractive, not overly preening young man who has come to London for the season, so far so good. We meet Felicity, her debut in London society is going very well and she is considered the “toast” of the season. We are moving right along with the formula.

Enter Cleo Cooper, her brother Han, their companion Miss Merrihew, the General, and Peter. Now the p
J. Leigh Bralick
Dec 03, 2014 J. Leigh Bralick rated it really liked it
A truly charming Regency romance! The characters were so delightful, and after watching and reading as many Austen/Dickens/Eliot novels as I have, I could just hear and see all the interactions that flitted through this story. Harmon obviously knows the Regency period and has crafted a believable period novel. I absolutely loved Arthur and Cleo, and found the whole cast of characters to be so well drawn they felt like dear friends by the end. And the ending! I loved how everything...came into ...more
Diane creech
Jun 12, 2015 Diane creech rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable

A Regency romance that I found to be quite good. It is about a young Duke who is a scientist and is not used to society that needs to find a wife. He is helped in this endeavor by his best friend. Also in this story is a young woman and her"family". The family is her young brother, a former footman, a cook, a Nanny, and a man they call the General because he lost his memory and does not know who he is. They have a plan to get enough money to buy a farm and manor. The story is very
Monique
LOVE.
Would recommend this author (because I already read the other ones)!
She's amazing, she writes clean (although not a prude) she makes it interesting and realistic, and awesomely entertaining.
I loved the different Hero (there should definitely be more bookish or smart regency characters) and the heroine's plight was well-written and realistic.
The "race to the border" was hilarious, and Harmon writes a real romance, not one were the characters are just infatuated with a face, but truly come
Alice
Jun 14, 2015 Alice rated it it was amazing
Highly Recommended

Mismatched couples, stolen artworks, tonnish matchmaking, and a assortment of characters make this one of the most adventurous and humorous Regency Romances that I have read in quite a while. I would love to give this more than 5 stars, it definitely deserves that. The author has also kept historically accurate in content and mores while creating distinctive personalities and a interesting situation. This is the first book of three, which I will be purchasing and reading. A new
Ro El
Aug 26, 2015 Ro El rated it liked it
Pleasant read. Set circa 1814 or so. Main characters are a gentleman scholar and a woman whose parents were cast out of society and led a live galavanting around the Mediterranean and Egypt. She's returned to get herself and her brother re-settled in society, while the gentleman-scholar is under pressure to find a wife. The obvious happens, although there is a sort of twist.
Mailee Pyper
Feb 02, 2016 Mailee Pyper rated it really liked it
I am so glad I discovered Joyce Harmon. I really like her style. The flow of her books really draws me in, they are unexpected and thoroughly enjoyable. I read Katherine When She Smiled and wanted more and I am so glad that this book was just as good. I also appreciate that while some characters are in both books they can truly be read as stand alone novels as well as in a series.
KRISTEN LAWRENCE
Jun 12, 2015 KRISTEN LAWRENCE rated it liked it
Entertaining story

I did enjoy this story. It had a very slow start. And for some reason I had trouble keeping everyone straight. The happy ending was predictable. So I really couldn't give it more stars. But you have to like the vivacious Cleo
George Richard Engelhard
Sep 18, 2015 George Richard Engelhard rated it it was amazing
In true Georgette Heyer tradition!!

Joyce Harmon has penned a delightful Regency Romance without any bodice ripping,,with interesting characters, a clever plot, and even a chortle or two. I want more!
Annette
May 19, 2015 Annette rated it it was amazing
Loved it an overall good read

I loved that this book was more along the writing style of georgette heyer - no sex, witty, and with a bit of intrigue. Loved the characters and the plot. Very enjoyable. Will definitely be recommending this one to friends.
Bethany Swafford
Oct 28, 2015 Bethany Swafford rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This is a Regency Romance that is fresh and fun. The plot was interesting, though a bit predictable (everyone knows right off who will end up marrying who). The hardest part I had was keeping each person straight, for there were many characters.

A lot of fun!
Ros
Dec 21, 2014 Ros rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable indeed. Fans of Georgette Heyer will love it. Once or twice I did feel as though the author was trying to cram in as much 'jargon' as she could, just to show how knowledgeable she was, but that was easily ignored, and the storyline itself was marvellous.
Lyuda
Aug 29, 2014 Lyuda rated it really liked it
Nice traditional regency story written with a very good attention to the times and traditions. Although there were many characters in the story but they didn’t disrupt but rather enhance it, giving the feel of society.
H Stachnik
May 03, 2015 H Stachnik rated it it was amazing
True regency

Fun- a Light Hearted Romance with Dialogue and Character Development and Historic Detail and an interesting twist-astronomy. Looking forward to the sequel!
Sophie
Jun 19, 2016 Sophie rated it it was amazing
Charming

Completely unexpected in the best way. A very lovely surprise. A happy ending that actually leaves one happy, all loose ends all tied up in the very best way.
Leslie
Mar 09, 2015 Leslie added it
I read it and enjoyed it but now that I came here to mark that I have I can't remember a thing about the book. It must be forgettable.
Lady Salford
The plot itself was quite lovely but the writing sometimes got in the way of my enjoyment of the whole atmosphere.
Lucinda Sutherland
Lucinda Sutherland rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Kimluvsjazz
Kimluvsjazz rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
valerie priest
valerie priest rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Karen  Richardson
Karen Richardson rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Canda
Canda rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Doreen
Doreen rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
P. Mcgee
P. Mcgee rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Meghan
Meghan rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Joyce Harmon has been from one side of the galaxy to the other (slight exaggeration) and seen a lot of strange stuff (very true). Since retiring from the Navy, she has worked as a winery tour guide, a journalist for a local newspaper, selling collectibles on eBay, and making candles - and always, always, a writer. She shares her rural Virginia home with two haughty and indolent cats and one ...more
More about Joyce Harmon...

“At supper, she considered Winton and concluded that he was the most suitable of all her court of admirers. In addition to the things that impressed society, the title and the wealth, he was also handsome (though his friend Amesbury was handsomer, she had to admit). And he was a genuinely nice man. He was not a rank snob, as many of the nobility could be toward an untitled country squire’s daughter. Nor was he arrogant, condescending, indifferent or cruel. He did not drink to excess and according to all reports, didn’t gamble at all. He was entirely ideal. Felicity only wished she understood what he was talking about.” 0 likes