Start by marking “Saiyuki, Tom 1 (Saiyuki, #1)” as Want to Read:
Saiyuki, Tom 1 (Saiyuki, #1)

Saiyuki, Tom 1 (Saiyuki universe #1)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  5,595 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
It was a time of chaos, when Heaven and Earth were as one, and humans and demons - the youkai - lived together in peace. The foundations of civilization and religion were raised and reinforced in this land of Togenkyo, the paradise known as Shangri-la.

But now, a great evil threatens harmony in this great land. Far to the West, in India, someone is attempting to resurrect

Published December 2005 by Waneko (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Saiyuki, Tom 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saiyuki, Tom 1

Siria
I really liked this. I think Deralte recommended it to me a while back as the manga I would probably be most likely to get into, and she was right. This is my second time to read this volume; I wanted to get it all straight in my head before I pick up volume two. I love the characters, and the way they play off one another. The dynamic is fun, especially when it introduces the humour that helps to balance the plot line. I will readily admit to not knowing much about Chinese/Japanese myth and leg ...more
Baco
Aug 15, 2007 Baco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
laksdlkgalkafdkllkkljrgiutoiihgkawr

This manga has... absolutely everything I have ever wanted in published fiction. Awesome characters, gorgeous art, complex relationships, ACTION AND VIOLENCE, backstory galore, craploads of slash subtext, irreverent humour -- Saiyuki does it all, and does it all perfectly.

I didn't really get hooked until volumes 3 and 4, but oh, oh how I got hooked. I love this series and the art and these characters so much.
Jody Mena
Aug 02, 2011 Jody Mena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Great! Of course I've heard the famous story of the Journey to the West, and seen it retold in a number of ways, but never quite like this! I love the dynamic amongst the characters, and how they retain their roles from the legend, while also taking on more modern characteristics. I also don't mind a bit that they're all very pretty boys, and I'm a sucker for anti-heros. There's something undeniably appealing about a bad-boy monk who drinks, smokes, gambles and shoots people, roaming the desert ...more
Eglantine Sabet

This is one of my all times favorites. I first saw Saiyuki anime and then went to the manga and ever since that first time reading it, I have been a fan. Kazuya Minekura has done a really good job portraying each character and also the sense of mystery about each character's past and how the past has made them what they are today and is the reason for their current lives' relationships makes the story more interesting.

To Kazuya Minekura sensei: You are one of my favorite artists ever. Your art a
Earl
Sep 17, 2015 Earl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I hate the fact that it didn't finish where it originally left off. I guess I have to find time to read Saiyuki Reload Volume 1
Joy
Re-read 8/9/08. The art in this is worse than I remembered--thank goodness it improves as the series goes on--but it's interesting to see how early Minekura begins giving readers hints about the character's backstories. Still a fairly solid introduction to the premise, though.
Ruben Monteiro
Pretty cool interpretation of the The Journey to the West. It's fun to see Son Goku (Dragon ball) bring portrait in a different way.
However, the characters are kind of similar, physically, so I them confused. Also didn't help that the speech-balloons don't really point to who's talking, or when the pointer is exists, it's incredibly tiny. These two issues are immensely aggravated in fight scenes: making them impossible to follow.
I eventually got used to it, but during the first half I was just g
Rachel
Mar 16, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic, schizotech
Before I get started, I want to preface this by saying that it's a review for the series rather than this particular volume, and, as such, may contain slight spoilers. Nothing that you don't learn fairly quickly, though.

Nominally based on the Chinese novel Journey to the West , and ostensibly set in seventh century China, this magnificent jumble of a series bridges the lines between typical action manga and anarchist head-scratcher.

The best elements include the strong philosophical current of
Stacy
Feb 26, 2017 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm re-reading my series and disclaimer: Saiyuki is my favourite. And goodness, I missed these characters a lot. The plot is quick. Early Minekura art is still good and the pacing's pretty decent. There are elements of humour that starts to be mastered through the banter. There is a mix of drama and suspense mingling with the comedy. I say four stars since, over-all the series is phenomenal, but in the early days those talents were just budding. Perhaps it is in the translation but some of the o ...more
Lou Rocama
Series Review

First, the last volume of this series is not the end, and has no real closure as far as the plot goes. The whole thing picks up essentially uninterrupted in Saiyuki Reload. I ended up thinking of the two as books in a series, rather than as series in their own right.

I apologize if that last sentence was confusing.

Plotwise it's a tad confusing, but no worse than most manga. It's actually better than many (think Tsubasa) in that I could follow it without taking notes. Or looking for
BK Blue

This will forever be my favorite manga series of all time, and it will never be finished.

photo dura-izayaface_zpsxiur2h4v.jpg

The anime shows you maybe 1/5 of what is going on in the manga. Don't rely on the anime.

For example, Homura and his crew aren't even in the manga. Now, don't get me wrong, I actually liked Homura but they stretched it out for a whole season. There's also just a lot of filler in the anime as well, and the animation itself is uneven and, uh, leaves something to be desired. The english voice actors for the firs
Sophie
Jun 13, 2012 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I. Love. This.

Here's the thing - well, several, actually. A) it took me a long time to like this. I watched the first episode of the anime and while I did like Hakkai immediately, I wasn't exactly convinced. Then, I read the first volume and ditto. I have to say that I had to read the scanlation which certainly didn't help. But I kept hearing that it was supposed to be good, and I didn't have anything else to read (sorta), so I kept on reading. And read. And slowly, every so slowly, I fell in lo
MissAnnThrope
06 March 2013

Saiyuki, Volume 1 is a rockin' good time. Based on the classic Chinese tale, Monkey: The Journey to the West, Saiyuki is its foul-mouthed, hilarious, drunken cousin. The daft cast of characters, complex plot, and silly vulgar humor will have you addicted in no time.

Kazuya Minekura cleverly combines action, comedy, and folklore into one of the most compelling manga of all time. Re-reading this years later, it doesn't feel like it has lost any edge at all. I was absolutely glued to th
Miss Ryoko
Jun 03, 2009 Miss Ryoko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I had watched the entire Saiyuki anime before reading the mangas. The anime is incredible, and the manga is way beyond incredible. Minekura-sama is a beautiful artist and a great story teller. The pictures are so detailed. Her drawing get even better as the series goes on. She is amazing and deserves a multitude of awards for being so awesome! I love her so much!

The characters look soooo little in this volume!! Awww, so cute! Then they turn into full blown sexiness. Minekura-sama, you are my her
Helmut
Feb 28, 2013 Helmut rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Machogehabe und Klischees

Das Xiyouji - auf deutsch "Die Reise nach Westen" - hat schon sehr viele Comicbearbeitungen erfahren. Dragonball und The Monkey King sind dabei zwei der besten, die mir bisher untergekommen sind. "Saiyuki" nun fällt dabei eher unter die Werke, die man nicht wirklich gelesen haben muss.

Ich mag Adaptionen, die respektlos mit dem Original umgehen, wie dies beispielsweise in den oben genannten Werken geschieht. Der Grund meiner Ablehnung von Saiyuki ist eher, dass es mir zu
Chelsea Morrison
Mar 15, 2015 Chelsea Morrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ya, young adults, teens
It's no secret that this is my favorite manga series of all time. I haven't read other series in the Saiyuki universe yet, but I did start reading the original Saiyuki series when I was in 7th grade, so roughly 2006-2007. I'm not entirely sure if I finished all the installments of the original, but I do have them. It's been so long that I only remember snippets, so it'll be interesting to experience this again.

I love Minekura's art style. It has this sort of vintage feel to it, seeing as the maj
Sarah Hayes
The Chinese folk tale "Journey To The West" has been used as a launching pad for various Japanese manga series in the past, possibly the most notable being Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball. Minekura's take on the legend of Son Goku and friends is certainly an unorthodox twist, filled with beautiful tragic boys, gun-wielding priests, and animals that turn into vehicles, all anachronistically set against the long-ago era of Asia's history - with demons, of course. It's a rather wonderful series and se ...more
Rebecca
Feb 24, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Saiyuki is a parody/adaption of the classic chinese novel journey to the west. Having read the chinese version, i was very intrigued by this manga. The characters are mashed up remodeled versions of the originals with interesting and some rather ironic twists to them and it really interested me. On the whole, i really love this manga. There is a good mix of wit, humour, fighting, and some serious talk too. Kazuya Minekura is by far my favourite manga artist. The art improves throughout the serie ...more
Nura
Nov 27, 2012 Nura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
aaah... digging this series again after so long. pertama ketemu sama kelompok sanzo ini waktu zamannya booming anime di tv sekitar awal 2000-an. kereen banget. waktu itu ga tau kalo diadaptasi dari manga. baru sempet baca lagi sekarang ini. ternyata serinya banyak. buat yang suka nonton Journey to the West, jangan harap bakal nemuin karakter yang sama, walopun ada beberapa karakteristik yang rada-rada mirip. sanzo yang temperamental, misalnya. beda banget sama biksu Tong yang pembawaannya kalem. ...more
Tifa
Sep 06, 2014 Tifa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to believe that the Saiyuki manga began its run in 1997 because it is just as good now as it was when it debuted. I'm re-reading the series, and I'd forgotten how talented Ms. Minekura is, both as an artist and a storyteller. This first volume opens with a bang, and the action never drags even as she introduces her heroes and other main characters. The art in this volume is obviously the oldest, but it still stands as creative and effective although Ms. Minekura's talent continues to g ...more
Emily G
Nov 24, 2012 Emily G rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, action, books-2012
I don't really read manga now or watch anime anymore, and I think I am missing out, so to get me back in the mood for this genre I am re-reading one of my favourites, Saiyuki.

Based (very loosely) on The Journey to the West (if you are old enough, this is the story told in the horribly dubbed TV show Monkey, which I also loved) we follow Sanzo, Goku, Gojyo and Hakkai, as they travel west to find who has turned the youkai into human eating monsters and why, and of course, ultimately stop them.

I ad
Leila Anani
SAIYUKI!!!!! This is the series that gave me the manga bug. It's a Bishonen version of the Chinese Classic "Journey to the West" with unforgettable characters, humour, and most imortantly stunning artwork.

This first volume moves at a cracking pace and we get two adventures - first yokai attacking our heroes in their rooms - the big bad turning into a giant spider and the second story where a temple the party are staying at gets attacked by yokai and Sanzo shows that his unorthadox methods help
Gabi
The four main characters in Saiyuki are a hot mess, ya'll. Sanzo is a smoking, cursing priest who will fight you - more than likely to the death. Goku is the Monkey King of mythology, devoted to Sanzo because the (cussing, smoking) priest freed him from a nightmarishly long imprisonment. Gojyo is a gambler and a womanizer and might be more or less than human. Hakkai has a dragon that turns into a Jeep and a past that will terrify you and break your heart. By turns bloody, humorous, perplexing an ...more
Caroline
Oct 04, 2011 Caroline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans who like hints of yaoi/shonen-ai mixed with action
This is the start of a fantastic series that is both funny and action filled. I read this after watching the anime and just enjoying the character interactions. Sometimes I spy hints of more in the relationships between the characters, and this series is definitely not short in weird relationships. (Thinking of Hakkai's relationship with his sister.)

On my list of favourites for a reason. I can keep going back to it and being entertained, plus the online fans are very mature and produce some good
intrepideddie
Jul 23, 2014 intrepideddie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
This is an adaptation of the Chinese "Xi-You-Ji" legend, but don't expect another "Dragonball". Although the idea of the adaptation is good, the execution of it just didn't hold my interest. The story seemed disjointed... not a very good flow to what was going on.

The artwork reminded me of the "Dragon Knights" manga (which I don't particularly care for, but that's just my personal taste).

Parental advisory: mild nudity, swearing, drinking, and smoking. Oh, and mahjong (can't have the kids seeing
ninefly
excerpt from detailed review here:

Minekura has brought a gritty and flashy vibe to the classic Chinese myth of the Monkey King, throwing a bit of sci-fi into the fantasy mix, and twisting every character into her own tormented anti-heroes. The camaraderie and trust the characters place in each other, and the choices they have to face to survive are explored in detail and style, where there is no "right" answer, only the answers you choose to believe.
Erin
Apr 13, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
This manga is based loosely off the Chinese novel 'Journey to the West', which I think is part of the main reasons I liked it so much. I liked the interaction between the main characters and their attitudes. They were all so different from each other that it just worked. It also has some pretty bad ass drawing.

I believe this series was my first step into the genre of manga that wasn't shoujo manga(meaning not full of girly stuff and cute bishies). I'm glad I took the step because it's a good one
scarlettraces
Minekura Kazyua's version of the Journey to the West, set in a world with jeeps and guns but also youkai and peasantry. entertaining but not gripping - i think i've been spoilt by wild adapter, which is a whole lot more knowing. the art feels cluttered up by toner, too, whereas wild adapter probably has more lines on the page but the concentrated style suits the subject.
Mayday
Mar 07, 2012 Mayday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, manga-2016
Reread. I am obsessed with Monkey King and Journey to the West. Ha.

Oh and nostalgia insisted that Minekura's artwork was great. I forgot that early work had never been wonderful, remind me too much of Gakuen Handsome. And Saiyuki has questionable foundation to its universe.

Despite everything, I still think Goku is cute and that's all that matters
Anna
Going through all my manga again, I've finally come upon one series that, in my older age, I appreciate MORE instead if less. This manga is well written (or well translated) and interesting. I've always loved this story and used to follow it intensely. I think I may enjoy working on the whole series this time, since so far I've only read up to volume 4.
  • Descendants of Darkness, Volume 1
  • Fake, Volume 01
  • Legal Drug, Volume 01
  • Demon Diary, Volume 01
  • Pet Shop of Horrors, Vol. 1 (Pet Shop of Horrors, #1)
  • Silver Diamond, Volume 01: Silver Seed
  • Zombie Powder: The Man With the Black Hand (Zombie Powder, #1)
  • Trinity Blood, Vol. 1
  • Loveless, Volume 5
  • Gin Tama, Vol. 1 (Gin Tama, #1)
  • Dogs: Prelude, Volume 0
  • Wild Rock
  • Trigun: Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action!! Vol. 1 (Trigun, #1)
Kazuya Minekura (峰倉かずや Minekura Kazuya, born March 23, 1975) is a Japanese manga artist most known for the Saiyuki series. Her other manga series include Wild Adapter, Shiritsu Araiso Koto Gakko Seitokai Shikkobu (Araiso Private School Student Council Executive Committee), and Stigma. Stigma is notable for being a full-color work, unusual as manga is generally drawn in black and white.

She had an
More about Kazuya Minekura...

Saiyuki universe (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Saiyuki Gaiden n. 1
  • Saiyuki, Vol. 5
  • Saiyuki, Vol. 6
  • Saiyuki, Vol. 7

“Monk: Forgive our rudeness
Hakkai: Please, don't worry about it. A little purity is good for them.
Sanzo: You saying I'm corrupt?”
11 likes