Start by marking “Awaken to Pleasure” as Want to Read:

3.64  ·  Rating Details ·  1,149 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
"WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO MARRYING ME?"

The proposal was as unexpected as her feelings for the man whose dark good looks rivaled an even darker past. Painful experience screamed that Taylor Reid should run far and fast from Jackson Santorini. But keeping custody of her brother meant becoming her former boss's bride.

And giving Jackson a baby.

Despite his powerful size and presen
Published March 24th 2014 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Awaken to Pleasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awaken to Pleasure

Glamdring

A sweet and sexy story featuring a swoon worthy alpha hero and a strong heroine. Even in its very simple plot, it shows Nalini Singh's talent for relationship building. The "petting" scene definitely helped me start the already long Psy-Changeling series (when I started it, the series already had 9 books and Kiss of Snow was going to be released). She improved and refined her writing since but her signature style is already there.
Jan
Nov 27, 2011 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used to devour Harlequin books (at first very old HP's, later Temptations, Desires and Blazes) starting when I was a young teenager, until about early in my twenties.

I bought them secondhand for €1, and always got the ones that had 3 books in them (the Dutch Harlequin publisher often prints different books in one edition). They were my cure for heartbreak (I would bury myself in bed with 10 Harlequins, weep and read through my tears and weep at all the romance again. After the weekend I'd be o
Verity
Apr 28, 2013 Verity rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a disappointing read. Usually I love a romance writer's id-filled early category works, when her heart's still in it. I didn't expect a book by Nalini Singh to be so clunky and boring. It's got some well-loved tropes -- an arranged marriage, a virgin bride, an abusive background, a custody battle, a Hollywood lifestyle -- but it's hard to care what happens to a pair of such irritating and unevenly drawn characters as they try to out-protect one another from various unlikely tragedies and ...more
RLA
Feb 08, 2013 RLA rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book started off good but quick became contrived and cliché-ridden. Elements of this book had the potential to be incredibly emotional and add really depth to the story, but instead the author just skims the surface and the issues raised just seemed to resolve rather too easily.

Nice descriptive writing, although taken (in my opinion) a little too far with the physical description of the hero. He ended up sounding like some hulking-great, thick-necked, pulsing-veins WWE wrestler - not the to
Rhapsody
Dec 15, 2007 Rhapsody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: contemporary romance readers who like sassy, steady heroines
Shelves: romance, fiction
The book had a lot of elements I like, but it could've been better. Jackson is a successful, very wealthy movie producer (something big in the movies, anyway). His wife Bonnie cheated on him quite a bit, then committed suicide, taking their unborn child with her. He was devastated and humiliated by the press. The book starts with him driving home and glimpsing Taylor, his former secretary (a temp), waiting for a bus in the rain late at night. He was always deeply attracted to her, but he held ba ...more
Cecilia
Jan 02, 2012 Cecilia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Super-sweet yet dangerous-when-necessary swoony hero reconnects with a heroine who is somewhat hung-up and in need of some of the special healing he can offer. Some of the situations seem rather contrived so that the protagonists can put their mutual possessiveness and protectiveness on display, and too many of the secondary characters are perfectly awful (probably to allow for the aforementioned possessiveness and protectiveness), but the hero made up for a lot.
Calisto
Wow. Every time I go back to category romance I end up with a big ol' DNF. Really, were Desires always so tropey? Big, rich alpha male takes care of little spunky but downtrodden heroine with issues. YAWN. This felt soooo dated...
Riz
3.5 Stars
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Netanella
Although this is an early novel of Singh's, I can tell the writing style that Singh will eventually develop so well in her Psy-Changeling series. The sex scenes are steamy, too - the workout room scene is definitely x-rated. It's a modern contemporary romance, light on plot, about a movie producer mogul w/the baggage of a dead druggie first wife and a secretary with intimacy problems. Unless you're a completist like me, this one is easily skipped.
Julie (jjmachshev)
Feb 24, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
Touching story of woman who was molested as a child and can't get past it and her special relationship with a man who's smart and patient enough to help her work past it. Nalini Singh writes hot stuff even when it's Harlequin.
Christy Stewart
I love Singh, even when I don't like her books. This book has less story than any random erotica book but the depth of characters, and the respect for them, is trademark Singh. Not anywhere NEAR her best, but you can see the promise in her writing.
Desirée
Leído el 22/12/2011

¿Qué dirías si te pidiera que te casaras conmigo?

Sus sentimientos hacia aquel hombre cuya mirada era tan oscura como su pasado eran inesperados. La experiencia le decía a Taylor Reid que debía alejarse de Jackson Santorini inmediatamente. Pero si quería conservar la custodia de su hermano, debía convertirse en la novia de su ex jefe. Y darle un hijo.
A pesar del aspecto fuerte de Jackson, era un hombre herido... por una mujer. Y aun así la había protegido y respetado al máximo.
Raj
Mar 08, 2017 Raj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was short, nice and a little different from what I am used to from this author. I expected some more conflict and it to be just a tad bit longer, but nonetheless it was a good book to read.
Dec 10, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sinnliche Stunden mit dir

Die Protagonisten Andrea und Jackson sind absolut unterschiedlich dargestellt. Jackson ist eher der große Typ mit breiten Schultern und absolut sexy Aussehen, recht still in der Art, was ihm etwas geheimnisvolles verleihen soll und er wirkt weniger wie ein Geschäftsmann, der er ist, als mehr wie ein Mafiosi. Dass er entfernte familiäre verbindungen zu eben dieser in Italien hat, ist somit wenig verwunderlich. Die ernste, sowie zierliche Andrea würde alles dafür tun ihren
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Feb 14, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the author
Shelves: romance, read-in-2011
I found this a nice story. I had some trouble relating to the characters, and in identifying with their concerns. This may be because the story was set in the movie industry, which seems like another planet to me. The protagonists' injuries by and dealings with the papparazzi were a factor in the story that left me cold.

Other than that, this is a darned good book. The characters experience and show personal growth. The plot, while dependent upon big money realities that I did not feel comfortabl
Melinda
Apr 14, 2014 Melinda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I actually liked this novel. The whole time I was reading I kept wanting these two to have a conversation. I also was surprised that they didn't have real conflict. You know what I mean. With Harlequin and Silhouette there is a bit of an obligatory big blow up and this book didn't have it. I was a little surprise and kept trying to predict when it would happen. I thought that the stepfather was going to try to kidnap his son, Nick and then Taylor would blame Jackson for not protecting Nick. That ...more
Lauren
4 Stars

Taylor Reid is desperate to retain custody of her younger brother of her younger brother, but lacks the resources. Thus, when her former employer, sexy movie mogul, Jackson Santorini, offers her a solution, marriage, she eagerly accepts. But, is she ready for the passion and pleasure Jackson needs from her?

One of Nalini Singh’s earlier category romances that has all the hallmarks of her later bestsellers although her plotting and dialogue have definitely come a long way
RomReader❤️Spoiler Giver❤️
Former PA of successful movie-making Hero who has sexual-trauma issues agrees to get married to widowed Hero to secure her custody of her young stepbrother. Although their marriage is a temporary arrangement, Hero truly desires a permanent marriage with heroine b/c he's been in love with her since he 1st met her when he was married.

This Singh book was meaty but it seemed a bit contrived. Singh seemed to want to hit every Harlequin romance novel cliche (i.e., wealthy alpha male, virgin heroine, m
Tory
Since I got my ebook credit this week, I decided to clear out some of the books on my wish list, and pick up this book. I am so glad that I did. I loved this story! There are some parts, particularly with the cutlery issues with Nicks father, that seemed too easily solved and glossed over. However, I liked how the relationship developed between Jackson and Taylor. They may have at times jumped to conclusions, but they talked about them rather than let them fester. There is one part at the end th ...more
Adis
Harlequin category romance used to hold no appeal for my reading material, as the storyline almost held the same premise. But as big fan of Nalini Singh works, it felt like an obligation to read all her books.

Reading with low expectation and to get such wonderful journey in the end is like getting birthday gift. And yes, Nalini Singh deliver such sweet present with this book.

Though the story has the usual premise as category romance, but the characterization, plot, and storyline got itself a 5
Soraia
Well, I read about the existence of this book in Nalini Singh's website and she did warn that it was one of her first books ever and her writing style had "changed" over the years. This is not good, her style didn't change, it improved 400%. This is one of those reads that you will get to the end just because you're compulsive and don't like to leave things unfinished. I could criticize so much about it, but for one's first forays in writing I must say I'm glad she did it and turned into such an ...more
Shxrxn
May 29, 2011 Shxrxn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Age makes no difference to the person you become once you're an adult.
- Taylor
More experience, more life lived.
- Jackson
By holding me, by being there whenever I need you, by never leaving me to flounder, by being there, just being there.
- Taylor
We went through the sadness together and we'll go through the joy that comes.
- Taylor
Loving is the greatest trust a woman can give to a man.
- Taylor
Sometimes, I look at you and my heart feels like it'll explode with the intensity of what you do to me.
- Ta
Carol
Jun 03, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-romance
I absolutely adore Nalini Singh, although I generally read her paranormal romance novels. This wasn't quite up to her usual standard. I don't know when it was written but it feels like an earlier work. Having said that, it is still very good. I did get a little irritated at the point of view changing repeatedly and without warning. I love multiple viewpoints but one at a time please!

The book is really very sweet as we see both characters heal from their emotional scars. Lots of steam too. It wa
Speed
I've had this book on my TBR forever almost. LOL. I've read her other series Psy-Changeling, Guild Hunter and even Rock series and finally buckled down and read one of her older novels. This was beautifully written and typical Singh's style of writing and finding true love. Enjoyed this read just as much as her others. Taylor and Jackson were perfect together. I loved Jackson's vulnerability about falling in love again and his total alpha Italian attitude. Loved it!
Dane
Overall, I found parts of it to be repetative and the character building wasn't the strongest. Both the hero and heroine were fairly basic, but there was some development. Most of the story was character-study, since the plot of the heroine fighting to keep her brother was resolved quickly and off screen. In the end it's not a story I will reread, but it was an interesting peek into Singh's writing past.
Mary Pamela
May 27, 2016 Mary Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simply Delicious

This novel followed the Silhouette Desire formula. In saying that I mean it was basically storytelling and repeating of feelings to form emotional connections between the characters as well as the readers. I always enjoy Nalini Singh's novels. She has a way of keeping the reader turning the pages.
Kristin
I'm a huge Nalini Singh fan and I was surprised to see that this book was so poorly rated. But being the fan that I am, a low rating doesn't deter me. ;) I can see why it doesn't have a stellar rating as this isn't her best work, but then again, it's Harlequin. This is the kind of stuff I expect from Harlequin so my expectations were rather low from the start. *shrug*
❥ Azzurra
All'inizio un pò faticoso da ingranare, con personaggi che sembrano l'epitome dello scontato. Ma pian piano prende ritmo fino a diventare un romance di media intensità.
Non è la Nalini che tutti conosciamo, ovviamente risente della poca esperienza che l'autrice aveva al tempo, ma tutto sommato può essere una lettura carina e leggera. Non impegnativa.
AIDA
Singh has a true gift, whether it is in paranormal or contemporary, as she shows in this wonderful story of two people that have had rough time in life but as it complicates for Taylor, Jackson hands her the life line that she needs to save her brother from his father. Singh does a maevelous job of portraying the pure emotions and struggle that both experience.
  • Seduced: The Unexpected Virgin (The Takeover, #2)
  • Ruthless Billionaire, Forbidden Baby
  • Claimed: The Pregnant Heiress (The Takeover, #1)
  • The Sheikh's Redemption (Desert Nights #1)
  • Putri Bungsu Keluarga Santini | The Last Santini Virgin (Bachelor Battalion #8; Santini Sisters, #2)
  • No Way to Begin
  • A Promise of Love
  • The Greek Billionaire's Love Child
  • Billion-Dollar Baby Bargain (Billionaires and Babies, #7)
  • Bond of Hatred
  • Wife in the Shadows
  • How to Disgrace a Lady (The Rakes Beyond Redemption #1)
  • The Greek's Innocent Virgin (Kouros Brothers Duo #1; Greek Tycoons #2)
  • Falling for the Fireman (Gordon Falls, #1)
  • Sins From Her Past (Scandalous, #1)
  • The Sheik's Kidnapped Bride (Desert Rogues, #1)
I've been writing as long as I can remember and all of my stories always held a thread of romance (even when I was writing about a prince who could shoot lasers out of his eyes). I love creating unique characters, love giving them happy endings and I even love the voices in my head. There's no other job I would rather be doing. In September 2002, when I got the call that Silhouette Desire wanted t ...more
More about Nalini Singh...