Start by marking “Twilight Whispers” as Want to Read:
Twilight Whispers

Twilight Whispers

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  479 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The "New York Times" bestselling author of "Flirting with Pete" and "Coast Road," among other popular novels, now offers "Twilight Whispers," the suspense-filled tale of three American families and the tragedy that haunts them.
Published January 6th 2005 by Warner Books (NY) (first published May 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Twilight Whispers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twilight Whispers

Mary
First published in 1988, this book has held up very well. In fact it has been rereleased recently. It is part family saga, part love story, part murder mystery/secrets and all well-written.

The story centers around Katia Morrell and Jordan Whyte, the lovers of the story and their family secrets and stories. I found it hard to put down. The best parts of the book are the times Jordan and Katia are together. I thought that Ms. Delinsky did a great job of showing how physical love can enhance the o
Jeanne
I loved the story. Material things must be wonderful to have, but they don't always guarantee happiness.
Kendra
Barbara Delinsky isn't a crime novelist and it's probably a good thing. Twilight Whispers is a romance novel that delves into the crime genre and not smoothly. Early on it's easy to see who the culprit is and you spend the rest of the story waiting for the characters to see it as well.

But Twilight Whispers is a fun read, nonetheless. The backstory on the Whytes and the Warrens was intriguing. I almost wish she'd written an entire saga starting from the beginning. It'd be an instant bestseller an
Louise
"Katia Morrell grew up amid wealth, sharing the idyllic childhood enjoyed by America's aristocracy without ever really being one of them. As daughter of the housekeeper to the powerful Warren family, she never truly belonged. Now she is back at the Warren mansion, hoping to see the man she always loved, Jordan Whyte, heir to the Whyte fortune. The occasion is the mysterious deaths of Jordan's brother and his brother's wife. Now chic and rich in her own right, Katia returns feeling strong. But on ...more
Nicholas Whyte

This is a throbbing sensual romance about the serving girl who falls in love with the prince, set among America's East Coast aristocracy, involving also a murder mystery which is resolved by a caring and sensitive police detective who violates all credible investigative routine to do so. There is much flashbacking to the mid-20th century (the book was written and set in 1988). I got hold of it for the totally spurious reason that one of the characters, d
Nikki
I have no idea why this book was called Twilight Whispers as it had nothing to do with that. But the story was interesting if not a little old, technology wise. The back story was a little confusing and more formatting to indicate the flashbacks would have been good. But I got used to it, so overall not a bad read.
Lynn
Enjoyable, light reading. I didn't like this book as well as other books by Barbara Delinsky but it was an easy pleasant read.
Pauline
Early work but it's easy to see the writing that would develop in later stories. When Mark and Debra of the famous White and Warren families are murdered, Bob Cavanaugh is assigned the investigation by his boss Jack Ryan who both have axes to grind with these famous families. When Bob's investigation is pushed along by Ryan in certain directions, he is urged to close the case quickly by indicting Mark's brother. This is my main complaint with the story in that even if it was written in the 80's, ...more
Melissa
Started 10-13-10
Finished 10-24-10

A little mystery, a little family saga and a little love story all rolled into one early novel by Barbara Delinsky. While good, it showed her novice abilities as a writer but also the potential for future work. Prominent families struggling with murder and scandal and two young people destined to be together but held back by a secret. All the makings for a good story. Easy to read and some very likeable characters.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This story reminded me of the movie Sabrina, the original one with Audrey Hepburn in it. It was well written and the ending is as expected. I fear this is the last one by Ms. Delinsky for me. While her writing style is very good, her storylines don't pull me in and I don't particularly care for her characters. It's me, not her.
Suzanne
i just started to listen to this book. I honestly don't think i can continue. the voice of the reader is grating. It has sort of a computerized sound to it. I am so disappointed because I love Barbara Delinsky. I just cannot get past the sound of it. I will have to pick up a copy and read it.
Molly
This was one of my "I need a book for sheer entertainment" books, and it worked. It's a combination of murder mystery with a romance thrown in. It kept me guessing for quite a while as to whodunit. I eventually figured it out, but it's still a good read.
Bookish
Fairly predictable ending that was foreshadowed immensely by the middle of the book. However, although predictable, it was still an enjoyable enough read. Standard Barbara Delinsky fair that is light and fairly satisfying without being mentally strenuous.
Lyndsey
pretty good book. I like Katia, she's a very strong, independent, level headed woman:) good storyline and well written... although I cannot figure out why Delinsky called it Twilight Whispers... so corny and not relative to the story itself???
Pat
a book you look forward to turning the "page". i listened to it on tape, which in my opinion brings more life to the story! there are some parts which are truly unrealistic, but then what is stranger than life?
Cyndi
Listened to this while sick when I couldn't study any longer. It had been recommended as a good author and the book was re-released so I expected more. Characters were contrived and plot was predictable.
TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey
Feb 23, 2009 TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey marked it as try-again-later
I know I've tried this book before a few times but it's going on my Try Again Later list now because I tried it again tonight and wasn't sucked into it like I want to be with a book. Oh well...
Debbie Worth
This book is very predictable. The writing is a little more racy than other's of her books and the characters are one dimensional.
Lauri Key
My first by this author. I was suprised. It started slow for me but wasn't long before it picked up and I had a hard time putting it down.
Barb
The story was just ok. I think my biggest issue with this book was the voice on the audio CD. The reading seemed very unnatural.
Evelyn Wilson
I loved the love between Katia and Jordan. I love the family secrets! I loved the ending! Yes, I almost couldn't put this book down!!!
Cathie
The storyline is great. Reading this book is very slow. This story could have been done in 3/4 's of the pages. Maybe even half.
Deb
Listened to the audio version on a recent car trip. It was a good story. A little predictable.
Wendy T
I love the suspense this book had throughout the entire book.
Barb
Good until the corny unrealistic ending.
Michele
Great romance book, if you have a first love!
Holly
Pretty good book. Good characters.
Judy Keane
Very Light reading
PWRL
Feb 11, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
O
  • The Dark Side Of Night (H.O.T. Watch, #1)
  • Wrath of the Lion
  • The Parson's Daughter
  • The Future Scrolls
  • For Better, For Worse
  • Beyond Belief
  • The Night Remembers
  • Plant Life
  • Twelve Times Blessed
  • A Women's Murder Club Omnibus: 4th of July / The 5th Horseman / The 6th Target
  • Becoming Strangers
  • The Garden Angel
  • Summer of Roses
  • Softly and Tenderly (Songbird, #2)
  • Post Grad
  • Wicked Eddies (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery #2)
  • Leaving Before It's Over
  • Out of the Mist (Stewart Sisters, #1)
I was born and raised in suburban Boston. My mother’s death, when I was eight, was the defining event of a childhood that was otherwise ordinary. I took piano lessons and flute lessons. I took ballroom dancing lessons. I went to summer camp through my fifteenth year (in Maine, which explains the setting of so many of my stories), then spent my sixteenth summer learning to type and to drive (two sk ...more
More about Barbara Delinsky...
Not My Daughter While My Sister Sleeps The Secret Between Us Coast Road Family Tree