Start by marking “Worst Seat in the House: Henry Rathbone's Front Row View of the Lincoln Assassination” as Want to Read:

On April 14, 1865 John Wilkes Booth changed the world with a single bullet. The assassination of Abraham Lincoln had many repercussions and for Henry Rathbone they were profound. Henry was the only man to confront Booth and attempt to apprehend the assassin. Henry was also the man that let Booth escape. While Henry wasn't officially blamed for allowing John Wilkes Booth to ...more
Published February 17th 2014 by Willow Manor Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Worst Seat in the House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worst Seat in the House

Ionia
Jun 12, 2014 Ionia rated it really liked it
Being just a tad bit of a Lincoln junkie, I knew when I saw this book that I had to read it. This book, for me, was a cut above the rest before I even opened the cover, as it actually recognised the important roles of Major Rathbone and his future wife, Clara Harris. This is very unusual for any account of Lincoln's assassination.

Right away this was an interesting and different perspective of a tragedy that has been covered countless times before. Mr. Stephens did a good job researching his sub
Alicia
Apr 02, 2014 Alicia rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netg
I thought this book had a great concept. Personally, I was unaware that the Lincoln’s shared their box with another couple. The author raises many great points, such as in today’s world of social media. Henry Rathbone would have become an instant celebrity. His story would have been all over the internet and TV in a matter of minutes. Unfortunately, in 1865, very little information was gathered about Henry. Due to this fact, the author does make a lot of speculation on what may have happened and ...more
Trey Mustian
Apr 30, 2014 Trey Mustian rated it really liked it
If you are a history buff and interested in the Lincoln assassination, this is a must- read. This book is meticulously researched and documented. It presents one of the most traumatic events in our nation's history through the perspective of Henry Rathborne and his fiancé Clara who were in the Ford Theater on that fateful night with the Lincolns only by happenstance... or perhaps fate.
Jason Parent
Oct 25, 2014 Jason Parent rated it really liked it
Used for research purposes... A little too much conjecture, but loaded with useful facts.
Zeb Kantrowitz
May 24, 2014 Zeb Kantrowitz rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
What effect would there be on you if you might have stopped John Wilkes Booth from assassinating President Lincoln, or at least capturing him? On the night of April 14, 1965 Major Henry Rathbone and his fiancée were guests of the Lincoln’s at Ford’s Theater. Having been in battle during the Civil War, Rathbone was familiar with weapons and killing. But, Booth stabbed him in his left arm cutting him from elbow to shoulder. Bleeding heavily, Rathbone couldn’t hold onto Booth who then escaped.

Rathb
Jessica
May 21, 2014 Jessica rated it it was ok
Although this book was intriguing and I was interested to learn about Henry and Clara Rathbone I was quite disappointed. The structure of the book was confusing and reminded me in several ways (none of them good) of Bill O'Reilly's Killing Lincoln. The author seemed to be more interested in the death of Clara and Lincoln than anything else. In fact when the first chapter or so talked about it I was afraid there was not going to be any discussion of the Rathbone's actual lives. Even so, Clara is ...more
Melinda Borie
Jun 04, 2014 Melinda Borie rated it it was ok
Brilliant idea for a book but the execution was sloppy. There may not have been enough material to make a complete book, here, but the biographical facts that were present were the best parts. The places where this book faltered were the ones in which it veered too much toward speculation, stretching to make arguments, and felt somewhat like a term paper in historical psychology. This editorializing added a lot of unnecessary padding to an interesting story.
Cindy
Jun 03, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
I have never given a thought to whom might of been sitting with President Lincoln and his wife on the night of the assassination. Henry Rathbone's life changed dramatically as a result of being the Lincoln's guest at the play. This book focuses on the effect of the assassination on Henry and how one tramatic event can cause PTSD.
Michele Agostinelli
Mar 24, 2016 Michele Agostinelli rated it did not like it
Couldn't even finish it. I think the first chapter or so would have been enough to explain who he was, what happened to him after the assassination. Just not interesting enough to finish and I love historical fiction/non-fiction.
Wesley
I didn't even know there were other people in the box with the Lincoln's, let alone that they had such an interesting story! Find the whole review on my blog: http://libraryeducated.blogspot.com/2...
Chip Carman
Nov 13, 2015 Chip Carman rated it really liked it
A great read. It's about the man in the room with Lincoln when he is assasinated. He marries the woman he went to the theater, goes mad and kills her. And spent the rest of his life in an insane asylum in Europe. Great for fans of Lincoln. What a back story!
Chaplain Stanleigh Chapin
Important history lesson

I had accepted a version of this dramatic event as it was taught in school. My interpretation was incomplete, not actually factional and misconceived.
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Joshua lovins sr.
Joshua lovins sr. rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Dawn Anderson
Dawn Anderson rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Caleb Stephens
Jan 15, 2015 Caleb Stephens rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
senta curran
senta curran rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Theenormityofitall
Theenormityofitall rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Chelsea Whited
Chelsea Whited rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Kim Brosan
Kim Brosan rated it really liked it
May 08, 2014
Ron Ross
Ron Ross rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Josh Atkinson
Josh Atkinson rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Eileen Straub
Eileen Straub rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2015
margaret walchak
margaret walchak rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Erika
Erika rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Niffer
Niffer rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Todd
Todd rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2015
  • A Disease in the Public Mind: A New Understanding of Why We Fought the Civil War
  • Marching Home: Union Veterans and Their Unending Civil War
  • Disobeying Hitler: German Resistance After Operation Valkyrie
  • A Year in the South: 1865: The True Story of Four Ordinary People Who Lived Through the Most Tumultuous Twelve Months in American History
  • Weird Civil War: Your Travel Guide to the Ghostly Legends and Best-Kept Secrets of the American Civil War
  • Frost/Nixon: Behind the Scenes of the Nixon Interviews
  • The Remarkable Education of John Quincy Adams
  • Pearl Harbor: FDR Leads the Nation Into War
  • Rebel Private: Front and Rear
  • The Dillinger Days
  • Stanley: The Impossible Life of Africa's Greatest Explorer
  • Double Agent: The First Hero of World War II and How the FBI Outwitted and Destroyed a Nazi Spy Ring
  • Reporting the Revolutionary War: Before It Was History, It Was News
  • Shiloh, 1862
  • Sons of the Profits: There's No Business Like Grow Business. The Seattle Story, 1851-1901
  • The Return of George Washington: 1783-1789
  • Day Of Deceit: The Truth About FDR and Pearl Harbor
  • Thomas Jefferson's Creme Brulee: How a Founding Father and His Slave James Hemings Introduced French Cuisine to America