Start by marking “Hey Mr. Choo-Choo, Where Are You Going?” as Want to Read:
Hey Mr. Choo-Choo, Where Are You Going?

Hey Mr. Choo-Choo, Where Are You Going?

This busy train is really going places! I’m puff-puff-puffin’ / In my smokesmoke- stack. / Bells are clang-clang-clangin’. / I’m on the good track! He has people and cargo to carry past cities and towns, through a tunnel, across bridges, and up and down hills as he click-clack-clicks all the way to a favorite destination—the seashore!

With rhythmic verse that perfectly ech

Published April 10th 2008 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Hey Mr. Choo-Choo, Where Are You Going?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hey Mr. Choo-Choo, Where Are You Going?

Hafidha
Jul 21, 2010 Hafidha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents of toddlers, toddlers
Shelves: childrens-books
My 20 month old loves (loves, loves, loves), LOVES this book. She requests it be read to her repeatedly throughout the day. She loves books and has many of them, but this one is by far her favorite. I have to buy my own copy because the one we have is from the library.

What I like:
Rhythm of the words is great for toddlers
Fun to read
Interesting use of vocabulary - a mix of simple and more complex words
Creative, original story
Colorful

What I don't like:
This book is hardcover, but the pages are stit
Asho
Mar 25, 2013 Asho rated it really liked it
The illustration on the cover attracted me to this book at our local library. I'm glad I picked it up. The collage-style illustrations are super bright, quirky, and fun. The rhythm of the text makes it fun to read out loud. I found that it sort of helps to do it in a very sing-song-y way. There are a couple of places where the rhythm falters, but overall I enjoyed reading it. This was my favorite library book of the week, and my son seemed to like it, too. It was a bit long for my little guy, ...more
Samantha
Apr 19, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
My favorite train read aloud, besides The Little Engine That Could. In chant-worthy text readers take a train trip and learn what the train is carrying and where the train is going. A catchy refrain just might entice listeners to chime in before story's end.

Illustrations are reminiscent of kid drawings and include a lot of fun details to focus on.

A great read aloud primarily for preschoolers (due to length) though, with a little bit of patience, toddlers might enjoy it too.
Bri Zabriskie
May 02, 2013 Bri Zabriskie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
The repeated words threw me. I know the author was trying to imitate the chug chug of trains but I felt it could've been more cleverly done. Also the device is the point and so the story lacks plot which isn't a problem if the device is so adorable you love it... But it wasn't.

... Bracken liked it tho.
Chris
Aug 30, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing
This is my 2 year old's new favorite book. After two days he was chanting along as we read aloud, and before long he started reciting it to himself throughout the day, not even needing the pictures to prompt the sequence of stanzas. He loves all the train books we've gotten, but as far as he's concerned this is clearly the best one.
Shanaria
Apr 12, 2013 Shanaria rated it liked it
Shelves: transportation
This book would be a good one to read during the unit of transportation. It has really good repatation and it tells and shows what a train can hold and some things you may see while riding a train.

Give each child their own cardboard box to decorate to their liking then as a class we will connect the boxes and make a train.
IrenesBookReviews
Nov 05, 2010 IrenesBookReviews rated it it was ok
It is good in showing you that trains can take you all different places. Other then that I didn't really enjoy the book. There was nothing bad about it, it just did not flow very easily and the pictures were confusing.
Jane
A fun book for the little train enthusiast, but what really made the book for me is the illustrations. Yumi Heo's style is distinctive and I'm thankful for this collaboration because yes, trains and characters I could identify with!
Tricia
Nov 17, 2009 Tricia rated it it was ok
Have lots of breath in you when you bring this one out...lots of repeated words in the text. Rhyming text becomes tedious at times. Illustrations are great...trains, lots of trains! Like the concept...not sure I could pull this one off but sure that a more talented reader could do it.
Christiana Tarpley
This book is focused on repitition as well as rhyme. The book is perfect for those that love trains! A new set of verbs and vocabulary are also introduced. Great book to teach about trains as a type of transportation as well.
Rachel
Another train book I picked up for my son, the rhyming text and collage/painted illustrations really bring you into the story of this train taking children to the beach. My only gripe was that the book was a little long for my son. Recommended for ages 2-6, 3 stars.
Amanda
Sep 16, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books, 1-2-yr
My choo-choo loving daughter liked this one OK. Another that I had trouble with rhythm, but I appreciate the verse.
Staci
Mar 20, 2010 Staci rated it really liked it
There is a lot of word repetition/rhythem in this book, so I put the words to a little tune when I read it and my son loves it. It's another one we look for at the library
Valerie
Feb 18, 2009 Valerie rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-td-ps
too long for toddlers unless modified, more of a preschool storytime read with repetition - transportation, sounds, summertime. Pictures will carry for medium sized group
Thomas DeWolf
Dec 21, 2009 Thomas DeWolf rated it it was amazing
One of my granddaughter's (3 years old) current favorite's. A great read-along book because of the poetry/cadence. Really bounces along.
Rebecca
Feb 22, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it
This book was wonderful for memorization and recitation exercises for my 6 year old. The rhythm of the story made the work very compelling and fun for him.
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2011
Hilary
Hilary rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2011
Jenete
Jenete rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2014
Kitty
Kitty rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2011
Hannahlily
Hannahlily rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2012
K
Apr 01, 2009 K rated it really liked it
Kind of obnoxious, but T loves it.
Miranda Locklear
Miranda Locklear rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
Celia
Celia rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2008
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2009
christina barker
christina barker rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Iamaby En
Iamaby En rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2011
Michelle Gray
Michelle Gray rated it did not like it
Sep 06, 2012
Erin
Sep 04, 2015 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: for-the-kids
I wish the kids liked this as much as I did reading it aloud.
« previous 1 3 4 next »