Start by marking “Crossed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #4)” as Want to Read:
Crossed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #4)

Crossed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #4)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  1,227 ratings  ·  62 reviews
In rich, atmospheric mysteries set against the backdrop of modern-day Mississippi, Carolyn Haines has given the southern belle a brilliantly hip makeover. Now Haines and her unforgettable heroine, Sarah Booth Delaney, are back with a tale about skeletons in closets--and elsewhere.

Crossed Bones

Sarah Booth Delaney is no ordinary P.I. A born-and-bred Mississippi belle, she st
Published April 1st 2003 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Crossed Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossed Bones

Kathy
Sarah Booth and Tinkie are on the case again...

and the men in Sarah's life... she had 3 potential suitors, Scott, Bridge, & Coleman.

Ivory Keys - a black man, a blues musician, owner of a blues club, older gentleman who had spent some time in jail, with a belief that music would cross the barriers between black & white, and he had 21 albums of a jam session with Elvis before he was the famous Elvis... his grown son, Emmanual, felt 2nd to his father's music, and abandoned, and in his rebel
Vickie
CROSSED BONES is now my favorite of the Mississippi Delta Mystery series. Granted it's darker than the ones I've listened to previously, but it still maintained the touches of humor and had the wonderfully written characters, especially Sarah Booth, Jitty, and Tinky who have become friends I've grown to love and look forward to hanging with each visit.
Another part that made it such a great listen is the blues music that threads throughout. I don't know when I started listening to and loving the
Jackie
Crossed Bones by Carolyn Haines
I enjoyed the book but the Yankee in me keeps wondering why the heroine has to be called Sarah Boothe, instead of plain old Sarah. But then again, there’s nothing plain or old about Sarah Boothe Delaney. She is a very southern PI working to prove that blues musician & former white supremacist, Scott Hamilton did not kill Ivory Keys. Keys, also a musician, was the black owner of Playing the Bones where Scott worked. It was Keys’s dream that music would tear down
Anne Hawn Smith
This was very good! The characters are very compelling and even the murder victim seems alive through the eyes of the people around him. Sarah Booth Delaney is a plucky heroine with a true Mississippi flavor. The culture of the South comes through with all the positives and negatives I associate with the Mississippi culture. The addition of Jitty, a clothes horse ghost, gives some real sparkle to the action. Jitty moves the plot along in critical situations and is a real plus to Sarah Booth, eve ...more
Summer Hedrick
Sarah Booth is at it again! This time she is hired to defend a man who is being charged in the murder of a blues club owner and player.

She is quickly told by Scott that he doesn't want her help but being that she wasn't hired by him, she continues on the case, only to find herself falling for this man, yet having stronger feelings for the sherrif.

The town of Zinnia is about to fall apart with all of the racial activities, but in the end everything comes back together and Sarah Booth is again lef
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Ann
Private Investigator Sarah Booth Delaney lives in a small town in Mississippi. She lives in Dahlia House, an old antebellum home and is haunted by the ghost of her dead great, great, grandmother's nanny, Jitty. Ivory Keyes, an elderly black owner of a local jazz club is murdered and his widow has asked Sarah to investigate the murder and to prove that Scott Hampton, the person the police have arrested is innocent. This is harder than it appears since the man was a member of a skinhead group and ...more
Donna
Feb 27, 2008 Donna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Scuppernongs, "Daddy's Girls," cotton bolls silvered with moonlight, heat with the heft of a main character. Without letting description detract from a good plot, Carolyn Haines does a great job of evoking a place and culture.

Crossed Bones was the monthly selection for my mystery book club. When I found out one of the main characters was a ghost, I was prepared to hate it. I don't do ghosts. But for me, Jitty was one of the best parts of the book. I'll read another book in the Sarah Booth Delane
Bonnie McHenry
She did it again! There are so many things that I enjoyed about this book. First, Sarah Boothe finally has a true revelation about the direction she wants her life to go in. It is heartwarming and somewhat sad at the same time. Second, I love the friendships she as with Tinkie and with Jitty! True, honest and authentic! Third, love how Carolyn wasn't afraid to look at race...where we were, where we are and what still needs to be achieved. Fourth, the references to the blues! And lastly, her rela ...more
Judy Tate
I loved it, but the characters are getting static. There is too little growth. There are some truly funny, purely Southern conversations and happenings. So I gave it 4 stars. Could just be me.
Tracy B.
Gives a real flavor of the south. Like the resident ghost.
Alexis
Annoyed by who-did-it but I liked Sarah Booth and a lot of the other characters. The Mississippi setting was a unique one. It's hard diving into book 4 when there is a big backstory hinted at on almost every page.
Hilary
Light and lively and full of fun, but they are getting old a little too quickly.
Linda
Carolyn Haines comes through again with another fine Sarah Booth Delaney comic mystery. Haines' strength, as always, is her ability to smoothly combine very serious themes and true suspense with delightful comic characters and situations. The murder of a famous and beloved African American musician and the consequent arrest of his young white protegee set up a tinderbox of racial tensions. Reluctantly, Sarah Booth must work (at the behest of the widow) to solve the crime and prevent a possible b ...more
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
Carolyn Haines has a talent for making an intricate, detailed plot easy to read and fast moving. Her sense of place is so vivid it's easy to feel you're in the Mississippi Delta and it's lovely to read about someone who respects her heritage. This book's story was interesting and gripping and I just couldn't put it down. Jitty is still a nag but at least she's starting to show signs of a softer side. I'm looking forward to continuing with this series.
Merelyn
Rather silly "who dunnit" featuring a Southern Deb who has lost her family's money, is an orphan, & has started her own Privet Investigator bussiness. She also has a friendly "haint" named Jitty, who was the great-great-grandmother's nanny. Way to many characters, can't keep what is pertinent & what is not. Lots of silly Southern references to food & dress. Skip it unless you like dialogs with friendly ghosts, & way to much patter.
Brigid
Another enjoyable, light read. I find myself liking the books less and less as I've gone through the series. Not sure if I should continue the series in hopes it gets better & Sarah Booth finally finds her happily ever after, or if I should just give up now...
Amy D
This is my first Carolyn novel and it has been compared with Evanovich, I can see it but Zi wasn't as impressed with CH. Yes I wanted to see who done it, but the rest not so much. Maybe I needed to start with the first book. Plot too flat and predictable. I did not get the whole ghost thing either, why a ghost? Just someone to talk to to help out the author with the character? Not sure if I want to read another?
Doris
Sarah Booth is hired - by the victim's wife - to prove that the tatted white man did not kill the elderly black man. The two met in prison, and were partners in a musical venue. Now, the old man is dead, and the young one is accused of the crime. Trust Sarah Booth to bring the truth out, and along the way make new friends and find out a little more of her own family history.
Chris
Megan
The thing I enjoy most about these books is that Carolyn Haines thoroughly conveys the mood of the Delta - the land, the history, and the people. It's such a pleasure to go on a journey with Sarah Booth and her quirky friends (alive and otherwise). Good stuff.
Stephanie
what an amazing novel. with all the dating the main character was doing, I really connected more than usual, this time. I hated that Scott and Sarah didn't work out, but we knew he wasn't gonna hang around from the beginning... but it was still difficult. and the surprise ending? CRAP!! lol, amazing!
Debi
Wow...I really liked this book! I was interested how author would deal with this story of racial tensions in the South. Sarah is not only trying to find a killer, but trying to find herself. Ms. Haines has hit her stride on this book and I already have the next book in my hands!
Jennifer Duncan
This is my favorite so far in the Sarah Booth series. It's a little darker and deals with racial issues. A great read.
Sam
Sassy southern belle turned private investigator who can find trouble anywhere and everywhere! This is series is hilarious, fun, sad and awesome. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a fun mystery with a touch of romance (not steamy).
Fort Lupton Library
Janice recommend this book for March. Southern Belle, Sarah Booth Delaney works as a PI to pay the taxes on her inherited plantation. She has a nose for trouble, a hound, a horse, and a bossy ghost who haunts her home.
Linda
I have read others in this series and have enjoyed them because they are good mystery stories and because of the ghost Jitty who "haunts" the main character. It is a fast read with kind characters and good mystery.
Chris Carter
I'm really enjoying this series.
Snap
Wickedly funny, heart-breaking and filled with history of the blues -- Crossed Bones is another winner. I have called these *cozy* mysteries and I suppose they are, but with a little hardness thrown in.
Anne Campbell
If you're from the South and Mississippi especially you'll enjoy this quirky tale about a sleepy delta town and all of its denizens. Plus there's even a wardrobe changing, time shifting ghost.
  • Murder Shoots the Bull (Southern Sisters Mystery, #6)
  • Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • The Ghost And The Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Aunt Dimity: Detective (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #7)
  • The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1)
  • Cockatiels at Seven (Meg Langslow, #9)
  • Antiques Flee Market (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Man's Island (Henrie O, #1)
  • An Uninvited Ghost (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #2)
  • Perfectly Matched (Lucy Valentine, #4)
  • Haunting Jordan (A Port Chatham Mystery #1)
  • Storm Track (Deborah Knott Mysteries #7)
A native of Mississippi, Carolyn Haines is the author of over fifty books in multiple genres. She was recently named the 2010 recipient of the Harper Lee Award and is the recipient of the 2009 Richard Wright Award for Literary Excellence.

Haines teaches fiction writing at the University of South Alabama in Mobile. Active in animal rescue, she has twenty-one "critters" —horses, dogs and cats.
More about Carolyn Haines...

Sarah Booth Delaney (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1)
  • Buried Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #2)
  • Splintered Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #3)
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #5)
  • Bones To Pick (Sarah Booth Delaney, #6)
  • Ham Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #7)
  • Wishbones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #8)
  • Greedy Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #9)
  • Bone Appetit (Sarah Booth Delaney, #10)
  • Bones of a Feather (Sarah Booth Delaney, #11)
Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1) Buried Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #2) Splintered Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #3) Bones To Pick (Sarah Booth Delaney, #6) Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #5)

“Tell me, Sarah Booth, is it your body that's hurt or your heart?"
"Whatever it is, it'll mend.”
1 likes
“Loving the unattainable was safe. That love could never be tested by day-to-day reality.” 0 likes