Start by marking “LaRue for Mayor: Letters from the Campaign” as Want to Read:
LaRue for Mayor: Letters from the Campaign

LaRue for Mayor: Letters from the Campaign (Ike LaRue)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Canine everyman Ike LaRue returns to take on the political machine in this gleeful tale, the third of Mark Teague's best selling, award winning DEAR MRS. LARUE series.

Ike finds his civil liberties at risk when Hugo Bugwort, the hard line mayoral candidate, promises to crack down on free-roaming, fun-loving dogs. As the anti-dog rhetoric escalates, Ike is compelled to join
Published March 1st 2008 by The Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about LaRue for Mayor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about LaRue for Mayor

Alecia
Author: Mark Teague

Illustrator: Mark Teague

Genre: fictional picture book

Publication Info: The Blue Sky Press (2008)

Reading Level: Ages 6-9; late transitional, fluent

Topic/Theme: dog vs. man, competition, imagination and creativity, friendship

Issues Addressed: winning a competition

Social Issues: political issues are brought about in this book, deals with the election and campaign of a town mayor

Classroom Uses: read aloud, independent reading, shared reading; I would also incorporate the examp
Connor Bartlett
This book can be used to help teach students about what an campaign is. They can follow LaRues journey. It will keep them interested in what will happen next.
Emily Barker
This book would be a good introduction for a writing activity. The students could write letters about something they've been doing.
Amber Fuhrman
This book is a fun book for students. It teaches them how to write, but does it in a fun way from the point of view of a dog.
J-Lynn
This is a good book for older readers who can read between the lines and will get inference and inuendo.

Like all Larue books, the format goes back and forth between letters penned by the plucky dog himself and newspaper articles from the local gazette which provide a fun way to introduce the concept of media bias.

The pictures, which alternate between color and black and white, take up each page and often have insets that show what Larue is thinking.

A fun read for older readers.
Jodysegal
Apr 06, 2008 Jodysegal rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K-Grade 4
In time for this year’s exciting political season, we have a new book from Mark Teague featuring his intrepid, irrepressible canine hero, Ike LaRue. In this latest book in the series, LaRue runs for Mayor against the dog-defaming police chief, Hugo Bugwort.

SLJ calls it "amusing" and notes the "bold, colorful illustrations, comical characters and lots of detail." (March 08)
A PW starred review describes the writing as "sharp and satiric."(Feb 08)
Megan
I enjoy the Ike LaRue books and like to use them to teach letter writing, specifically persuasive letter writing. These books also use a great deal of humor, that 2nd through 5th grade students seem to understand the most. I also like the use of perspective, with the color picture on one page, and the black and white picture on the other. These books are entertaining, but can be used for many purposes in the classroom.
Abbey Smith
LaRue for Mayor is another great example of perspective and point-of-view writing for developing writers. Many times when Election Day comes around, or there are a thousand commercials from political candidates on t.v., students will come to school and ask questions about the elections. This book is a fun, kid-based, perspective on running for mayor. I enjoyed it and so did my students.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I loved the first book about Ike, didn't care for the second one, but loved this one. Ike is incorrigible! I like Mark Teague's technique of putting the fantasy in black and white and the truth in color, which is a great way to portray the difference between what Ike says to Mrs. LaRue and what he does. I hope the author continues to write books in this series!
Ali Strang
Age: 4-8
Review: This book is about the dog, Ike LaRue, running for Mayor! He continues to send letters to his sweet owner, Mrs. LaRue, while he tries to win the election. This would be great to read to students because of the many different styles of writing found in the book and it also addresses how to format a letter.
Eva Leger
Sep 05, 2010 Eva Leger rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Eva by: library
This book sucks. I'm really not sure how we both felt this way about it when we read and liked Dear Mrs. Larue: Letters from Obedience School but hey, I'm not going to investigate it.
Tim Vandenberg
Just read this together with my 9-year-old daughter, and we had a real LOL great time together. Mark Teague has stepped up his LaRue Game since the clever volume 1 in the series, as LaRue becomes even more scheming & devious in this lighthearted canine-commentary on human politics.

Great fun!

Recommended!
Season Neal
Another story in the Ike LaRue series; this story follows Ike on his campaign trail as he attempts to become mayor. Ike is a fun loving character that children will love. This book would be great to accompany the other "Ike" books and could be used to teach persuasive writing or author's purpose in reading.
Suz
I read this with my 5th graders and we talked about how the discrepancies between the text and the illustrations are purposefully done for comic effect. Then we talked about how we can also see those discrepancies during campaigns in real life, and how voters need to be smart information consumers.
Matthew
I liked this book, but my audience didn't understand it. The language went over their heads. I was sitting their in silent mirth while I watched my listeners drowse. It was too bad. The book was a lot better than it will be recognized for being.
Candice Call
Great book to use for a varity of activities. Can be used to example letters and how they are written. Can example articles in the news paper; Or, it could be used if talking about elections/politics and the jobs that different people may have.
Jayna
Through a series of correspondences with Ms. LaRue, Ike her dog, let's her know what he has been up to while she is in the hospital. It is contrasted with newspaper clippings of a gang of dogs. Decide who is telling the truth.
Kayce
Really enjoyed this book, cute letters show perspective in writing. Could be fun to use as a teacher showing the kids ways to think about animals being able to communicate and what their point of view might be.
Beth
La Rue learns that Mayor Hugo Bugwort is nicer than he thought. It is funny to see a sign that says "We Like Ike." This book also would be good to use during political campaigns to draw similarities and differences.
Shaley Dunn
This book was good. All of the words were wrote in letter format or in newspaper format. It was differnt and would help a child to see how letters and newspapers are wrote.
Liz
This is one example of letter writing and newspaper writing within a children's book. It could be used as a simple example to teach multi-genre as well.
Theresa
Good book to share with the students. Teague's books are great to use to teach writing techniques and with the element of humor included all kids will enjoy!
Scarlet
This book could be used to teach students to stand up for what they believe in, letter writing, and even some politics on a lower level.
The Library Lady
Hey, I LIKE dogs and I like dog books when they're good ones. And this book, part of the "Dear Mrs LaRue" series, is just that.
Kaethe
There is perhaps nothing so pleasing to a six-year-old as a scamp. LaRue is a naughty dog, and that is very funny.
Cara Adams
Funny story about a dog running for mayor. Would be a great mentor text for point of view and letter writing.
Adrienne Furness
Almost as much fun as when Duck ran for President. Also nice use of the word "scurrilous."
Leona
Mar 15, 2008 Leona rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: easy
I love Mark Teague and I love Ike but I think he really called it in on this one.
Tina
Ike running with dog gang runs for mayor when highjinks get dogs in trouble
Melissa
Another cute dog story. My brothers really liked this one. ^^
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Mr. Pusskins and Little Whiskers: Another Love Story
  • If She Only Knew Me
  • If I Were a Jungle Animal
  • Willoughby & the Lion
Mark Teague has delighted young readers with more than 20 picture books, and he has written many of them himself, including the popular Pigsty, Baby Tamer, and One Halloween Night. He is also the illustrator of Cynthia Rylant's beloved Poppleton series for beginning readers and the best-selling books by Jane Yolen, How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight and How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon.

Mark Teague's lif
More about Mark Teague...

Ike LaRue (4 books)
  • Dear Mrs. LaRue: Letters from Obedience School
  • Detective LaRue: Letters from the Investigation
  • LaRue Across America: Postcards From the Vacation
Dear Mrs. LaRue: Letters from Obedience School Pigsty The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf Detective LaRue: Letters from the Investigation How I Spent My Summer Vacation